Football and the Coronavirus

Don
Players not training for the best part of a month then playing games every 3 days sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
The game every 3 day scenario would be on the basis of the League being suspended a lot longer than a month, in which time you'd hope players would be keeping themselves fit at home even if they are prevented from training as a squad and or allows time for a mini pre-season before. A delay of a month only means 2 games have to be rescheduled which wouldn't be an issue at all.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Sad how many people think this is amusing because it might stop Liverpool winning the Premiership. Wonder how amusing they'll find it if one or more of their elderly relatives die from it.

What?! Thats like laughing at Steven Gerrard for slipping to cost them the title and saying "you wouldn't be laughing if your grandma slipped and fell over".

Caporegime
Sad how many people think this is amusing because it might stop Liverpool winning the Premiership. Wonder how amusing they'll find it if one or more of their elderly relatives die from it.

Sometimes you have to look at the funny side of things because looking at the reality will just make you depressed!

Too be honest I am equally annoyed as United are on a fantastic run of form and that is going to go out the window as other teams around us will have time to regroup.

Don
Oh wow, you weren't joking? So you'd laugh if the League got cancelled because of a terrorist attack on a football stadium too? Same logic applies to what you've just said.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Oh wow, you weren't joking? So you'd laugh if the League got cancelled because of a terrorist attack on a football stadium too? Same logic applies to what you've just said.

I would laugh at Liverpool not winning the league under most circumstances. Doesn't mean I am laughing at people who are affected by the reason why it was cancelled. Its a pretty simple distinction and what a lot of comedy is based on. Laughing at someone falling down the stairs doesn't mean you think its funny when someone dies when they fall down the stairs. You can think the outcome of an event is funny even if the cause is not.

Caporegime
It is very much the same. What does the league getting cancelled because of Coronavirus have to do with your grandma dying from it. I assume we can't laugh about any situation remotely related to it?
Football will be absolutely irrelevant if this gets as bad as some people predict. Hopefully it won't but imagine a certain 78 year Man United legend getting it, how funny would it be if he died and he's certainly classed as high risk. Imagine millions of other supporters finding that hilarious because a lot of sickos will.

Don
I would laugh at Liverpool not winning the league under most circumstances. Doesn't mean I am laughing at people who are affected by the reason why it was cancelled. Its a pretty simple distinction and what a lot of comedy is based on. Laughing at someone falling down the stairs doesn't mean you think its funny when someone dies when they fall down the stairs. You can think the outcome of an event is funny even if the cause is not.
So it's fair game to laugh at Utd for not winning the 1958 European Cup because of the Munich air disaster?

fez

fez

Caporegime
So it's fair game to laugh at Utd for not winning the 1958 European Cup because of the Munich air disaster?

Come now Baz, if you can't tell the difference between that and the current situation I worry about you.

Football will be absolutely irrelevant if this gets as bad as some people predict. Hopefully it won't but imagine a certain 78 year Man United legend getting it, how funny would it be if he died and he's certainly classed as high risk. Imagine millions of other supporters finding that hilarious because a lot of sickos will.

Imagine people finding it hilarious that Ferguson dies from Corona? Thats literally laughing at someone dying from it. Nothing like laughing at Liverpool not winning the title because the league is cancelled. Im sure plenty of people would find it funny if the league is declared null and void and United miss out on CL football for another season just as we are starting to look better in the league and could win the EL. I don't have a problem with that.

Don
Come now Baz, if you can't tell the difference between that and the current situation I worry about you.
What difference? I'm only going by your logic. You said that you'd laugh at Liverpool not winning the League under most circumstances following my question about a terrorist attack. Your reasoning being that you can laugh at isolated consequences of the issue without laughing at those directly effected by it. So by your logic it's perfectly acceptable to laugh at Utd not winning the European Cup as long as I don't directly laugh at those that died.

For clarity, I'm not ****ed up enough to do that :)

Laughing at Liverpool not winning the League because of Gerrard's slip or Utd not winning the League because of Aguero's last second goal is normal banter, laughing about something because a scenario where there has or will be numerous fatalities is a bit different.

fez

fez

Caporegime
What difference? I'm only going by your logic. You said that you'd laugh at Liverpool not winning the League under most circumstances following my question about a terrorist attack. Your reasoning being that you can laugh at isolated consequences of the issue without laughing at those directly effected by it. So by your logic it's perfectly acceptable to laugh at Utd not winning the European Cup as long as I don't directly laugh at those that died.

I don't know how you can laugh at a team not winning a competition because most of their team died and compare that to a terrorist attack stopping a league. If a terrorist attack killed half the Liverpool team I would agree. If a terrorist attack killed a load of Liverpool fans at a game and that was the cause of the cancellation I wouldn't find it funny. If nothing directly related to Liverpool caused it then I would still find that aspect of it funny.

United not winning because half their team died in a plane crash != an event unrelated to Liverpool causing the same outcome.

Don
I don't know how you can laugh at a team not winning a competition because most of their team died and compare that to a terrorist attack stopping a league. If a terrorist attack killed half the Liverpool team I would agree. If a terrorist attack killed a load of Liverpool fans at a game and that was the cause of the cancellation I wouldn't find it funny. If nothing directly related to Liverpool caused it then I would still find that aspect of it funny.

United not winning because half their team died in a plane crash != an event unrelated to Liverpool causing the same outcome.
So 1m people unconnected to a football club can die and it's funny if that causes the cancellation but if 1 person connected to a football club does then it's not? Your logic is warped.

Back
Top Bottom