BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Love the M2, best looking M car IMO. Surprised you didnt go for the C. The S55 is a proper M engine. Serious power to be had as well, the N55 isnt the best for modding. Does sound better though ill give ya that heh.

Man of Honour
I was thinking if they can't provide a service (workshops have closed) then they shouldn't be asking for the fees.

E.g. my school nursery closed and have stopped charging fees.
Sky/virgin waiving sky sports fees etc.

I was gonna get in touch but wondered if anybody already has done.

The cover hasn't changed though has it? If you suffer a failure that is covered it'll be fixed. Just not as quickly as you'd have hoped.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Love the M2, best looking M car IMO. Surprised you didnt go for the C. The S55 is a proper M engine. Serious power to be had as well, the N55 isnt the best for modding. Does sound better though ill give ya that heh.

Have you driven them both back to back? The M2 is the better road car IMO and the extra power just isn't needed, it isn't that kind of car. The S55 has crank hub issues as well, so as soon as you start to push the power you run the risk of fairly severe engine damage. If you want a big power car, get an M4 or M5 as they are more suited to people who chase huge numbers over everything else about the car.

I expect the only mods I will do is to fit the M Performance brakes (or possibly the carbon ceramics...) and maybe fit the MSS adjustable springs which soften the car a little bit without compromising the handling.

Associate
Well.. after 11 months of very careful ownership it finally happened.. scuffed an alloy :( So annoyed! Not exactly the best of times to get it repaired either.. The Mrs says 'it's nothing', but what does she know :)

1TyZ-6SOVITPVXiEQ53TselR5LS4MvU1qlZU9qLKDiGDE4ppgGZYWlqlbSKjIKTZtAjFSAsUnnpXqF2L2AW1wCOz0txlnnXJvfPU4LIm_ibBJr0lNONS7of4grpSawOI7t6bAUtjJg=w2400

Anyway, I gave the 'Pitbull' as I like to call it a quick wash this afternoon as the weather was fantastic. While I don't find it the most comfortable of cars, I do have a real soft spot for this 140.

ct5kK9y0HG2Akigdx7eOIpkS7U7C_w4_J610jM-56WgkgxBpBrveluqnGWkwQ4PlXPNVoo_UyTPZUVPl78yMpqmgbkrQ5HhRlsKZRqH5r-_ne8MVrvqpXauz9zQgj5ItsXiz9wP4_w=w2400

Soldato
Have you driven them both back to back? The M2 is the better road car IMO and the extra power just isn't needed, it isn't that kind of car. The S55 has crank hub issues as well, so as soon as you start to push the power you run the risk of fairly severe engine damage. If you want a big power car, get an M4 or M5 as they are more suited to people who chase huge numbers over everything else about the car.

I expect the only mods I will do is to fit the M Performance brakes (or possibly the carbon ceramics...) and maybe fit the MSS adjustable springs which soften the car a little bit without compromising the handling.

Couldn't disagree more. The M2C is everything my M2 should have been. Faster, more stable, a better drive. Only thing/area I think it lacks in is in sound. The normal M2 just wasn't that massively quick tbh.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Couldn't disagree more. The M2C is everything my M2 should have been. Faster, more stable, a better drive. Only thing/area I think it lacks in is in sound. The normal M2 just wasn't that massively quick tbh.

The EPAS is a little better, the front end is sharper but the car is quite a lot heavier and the S55 engine is a borefest. There is literally no difference at all in the suspension yet somehow the M2 is more "alive" and more exciting. The M2's seats don't look as good as the M2Cs but for me the M2s seats are quite a bit more comfortable. I was pretty much all set to buy a brand new M2C (because the deals on new vs the AUC cars meant used didn't make sense) but once I'd driven the M2 I knew it wasn't worth the additional cash at all and I preferred the way the M2 drove. I have no reason to make this up, this is my genuine appraisal of the difference. I did however make sure I bought a 2018+ car to get the new dials, same as in the M2C as the old dials were simply unacceptable.

Edited to add: As for massively quick, there's 0.1s in it over a 1/4 mile. Very few mortal drivers are going to be able to extract any difference between these two cars on the roads...

Soldato

It's all relative. It felt like a Golf GTi space car, rather than an M. But hey ho, what do I know, just ran one for a couple of years after my E92, and now have the M2C.

As to that paper performance difference - I'd agree with you. Actually driving both of them? World's apart. Like I say though, owned both, consecutively. I obviously know nothing about them.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Nobody is disputing that the M2C is ever so slightly faster - but when the two are a mere eight seconds apart around the Nurburgring (BMW's times), in nobody but a competitive racing driver's book are they "worlds apart". Sport Auto got them within the same tenth of a second around Hockenheim.

They achieve more or less the exact same end result in a very different way. I preferred one way, you preferred the other. It is as simple as that for me!

Soldato
Oh I agree. If you've got the right car for you, you've got the right car for you haven't you? I loved my E92, it was a joy every time. I got a bit frustrated with my first M2 (manual) and swapped it for a DTC after about a month. Got on a LOT better with the DTC.

Honestly though, I've found the M2C to feel more in the E92 class than I did my M2.

To put my point in some perspective, I'd have struggled to keep up with my 335xDrive in either the M2 or the M2C, however I know which one I'd prefer to be behind the wheel of.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
See, I'd put my M2 above my E92 M3 in every way except for engine noise and perhaps the interior materials. On the engine side, it isn't that the N55 is bad, but the S65 is one of those exceptional units that will go down in history for the way it sounds.. I wish BMW had used Novillo (or Nappa) in the M2 instead of Dakota but meh, I can live with that.

I've not tracked it yet though so I'm reserving final judgement until then although I don't expect to be disappointed...

Associate
Have to admit the M2 has turned my head quite a few times.. it's such a mean looking car and then there's the full M factor. I would love one but the added expense over my 140 for very little gain (to me as an average Joe) just doesn't make sense.. ☹️

Soldato
... I wish BMW had used Novillo (or Nappa) in the M2 instead of Dakota but meh, I can live with that.

How much of a gap exists in the quality of the interior materials between the M2/C and the outgoing M3?

Eventually my time in the Cayman will come to an end and I'll need some form of rear seats for a toddler. I like the idea of an M2C, but I'm also at that stage of my life where I appreciate nice, soft interior plastics and carpeted door bins :rolleyes:

I was initially thinking about a new M5, but it's just so big for what I need.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Simon, mine was a Competition.

How much of a gap exists in the quality of the interior materials between the M2/C and the outgoing M3?

Eventually my time in the Cayman will come to an end and I'll need some form of rear seats for a toddler. I like the idea of an M2C, but I'm also at that stage of my life where I appreciate nice, soft interior plastics and carpeted door bins :rolleyes:

I was initially thinking about a new M5, but it's just so big for what I need.

It is 2-series through and through, so nowhere near 5 series levels. No carpet in the door bins, etc. I came to this car from an F06 which of course had extended leather etc and so the M2 is an enormous step down in interior quality save for the steering wheel. BMWs wheels in the F10 and F06 has an absolutely awful creaky plastic bit which is gone in this car. Ultimately though, you don’t buy an M2 if you want the last word in luxury.

Back
Top Bottom