BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour

It's all relative. It felt like a Golf GTi space car, rather than an M. But hey ho, what do I know, just ran one for a couple of years after my E92, and now have the M2C.

As to that paper performance difference - I'd agree with you. Actually driving both of them? World's apart. Like I say though, owned both, consecutively. I obviously know nothing about them.

:D

Soldato
How much of a gap exists in the quality of the interior materials between the M2/C and the outgoing M3?

Eventually my time in the Cayman will come to an end and I'll need some form of rear seats for a toddler. I like the idea of an M2C, but I'm also at that stage of my life where I appreciate nice, soft interior plastics and carpeted door bins :rolleyes:

I was initially thinking about a new M5, but it's just so big for what I need.
Obviously a 911 is the only way to go:D.

Associate
The trouble with the N55 is that its in 10grand bimmers. Doesnt make it special enough IMO. And the crank hub problem is hardly a common issue, and it can easily be sorted. The engine is impressive, well over 500bhp from just a remap.

Man of Honour
Exactly that. Pouring scorn on the M2 because the engine can be found in 10k cars seems fairly irrelevant when any number of 'proper' M engines can be found for 10 grand including the mighty V10.

At least the engine in the M2 is slightly more bespoke than that in the hallowed 1M Coupe which was literally lifted from a series production non M BMW.

Associate
Exactly that. Pouring scorn on the M2 because the engine can be found in 10k cars seems fairly irrelevant when any number of 'proper' M engines can be found for 10 grand including the mighty V10.

At least the engine in the M2 is slightly more bespoke than that in the hallowed 1M Coupe which was literally lifted from a series production non M BMW.

How is it more bespoke? Its the same as in a M135i and 335i E9x. I also agree on the 1M coupe. The prices of those are mental.

The point is'nt that its 10grand, on its own, its the fact the car is 4x that with the same engine. Not hard to understand Fox.

Associate
I'm assuming this comment comes from years of experience of driving/owning one? :p

Nah was just playing its not bad....... Like lots of other BMW engines its made of cheese and as about as reliable as a Land Rover, but its got it charms. Would be perfect in a lighter car. My mate at work has a cracking example of a e46 M3. They still look great.

Soldato
Sorry, meant an M2 and a 2017 GTi, never had a 240. Such things are very subjective aren't they. The M2 felt like a range step down after the E92 tbh. Environment and performance wise. The comp not so much.

There is no right answer here though is there, other than just giving up in the face of your pedantry ☺

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Nah was just playing its not bad....... Like lots of other BMW engines its made of cheese and as about as reliable as a Land Rover, but its got it charms. Would be perfect in a lighter car. My mate at work has a cracking example of a e46 M3. They still look great.

Figured this was the case :D

The lighter car chat has come up a few times on the internet over the years and it is largely irrelevant to be honest for a car that spends almost all of its time on the road instead of a track. The amount of usable power is absolutely right for the size and weight of the E46 in both formats and my personal experience is that after changing to a modern UHP tyre instead of sticking with SuperSport which are old tech and too slippery in British conditions then also refreshing all the suspension bushings etc transforms traction and handling.

If you are the type of person who chases only the big numbers though then that view will vary.

It could be argued they are reliable engines. The common issues don't show up until the 80k mileage mark typical at the 10-15 year age range which is fairly expected for a cast iron block revving to 8000rpm and generating an insane amount of heat. The reason they are thought to be unreliable is because in later years many examples that remained on the road are well over 80k miles and all you ever read about are things breaking and fixes being expensive. Even servicing isn't exactly cheap. An Inspection 1 is supposed to have valve clearance checks done but since it's a labour intensive job, many owners only have that done during an inspection 2 and in the long run this leads to further issues that develop.

The tighter the maintenance, the more power they also retain as the years go on. Whilst many out there are down on power due to underlying issues or poor maintenance, it's worth keeping that in mind as many used ones people end up trying feel slow or handling feels wack because of the above.

Aside from all that, my opinion after 5 years is that the S54 is a right hoot for me and my friends/family. Isn't that the main reason to have an enjoyable car whilst we still can these days? :D

Man of Honour
There is no right answer here though is there, other than just giving up in the face of your pedantry

It's not really pedantry is it, the M2 has over 100bhp more and is a similar size and weight!

If we were comparing a Golf R with an M240 then fair enough a strong view either way would be pedantic..

Back
Top Bottom