Minecraft

Associate
Might as well get the java edition really. Java itself ain't that bad perse, but does have it issues. If you're kid is into modding, they'll be more fun to be had over at the java edition.

The only real appeal to the windows edition is the vr, which was quite terrible really when I last used it. Windows 10 edition generally feels like a stripped down version of the java edition with the addition of native controller and vr support.

Soldato
No worrying about updates breaking mods, online being unavailable because you aren't updating your client because you don't want to break the mods, no worrying about mods corrupting world's.. it's just easier period.

I disagree with this part :p Most of the modpacks are on launchers like the Twitch client which keep it all up to date and give you the choice to update only if you want to. This comes with warnings and backup options if there's any chance of corruption. It's simply a case of choose the one you want. Click install then press play when it's done. No other tweaking needed. They can all also be played offline perfectly fine once they been downloaded.

Soldato
The only real appeal to the windows edition is the vr, which was quite terrible really when I last used it. Windows 10 edition generally feels like a stripped down version of the java edition with the addition of native controller and vr support.

There is a Java version with VR which works really well which you can also play full modpacks on. Vivecraft I think is the name (I haven't tried it for a while and may have changed name since Vives are old VR tech now).

Soldato
I disagree with this part :p Most of the modpacks are on launchers like the Twitch client which keep it all up to date and give you the choice to update only if you want to. This comes with warnings and backup options if there's any chance of corruption. It's simply a case of choose the one you want. Click install then press play when it's done. No other tweaking needed. They can all also be played offline perfectly fine once they been downloaded.

Yeah and most modpacks aren't updated when the client is, which means you end up running an old client (which causes problems online) or multiple clients to keep track of it all. The console/mobile/win10 ecosystem is SOO much less hassle.

Soldato
You obviously haven't used MultiMC then. I have saves for vanilla 1.12, 1.13 and 1.15 worlds aswell as All The Mods 3, CrackPack 3, FTB Beyond, FTB Direwolf20, TekTopia, Sky Factory 3 and Sky Factory 4 all in one client launcher. Click to launch any and it loads that version - no need for 'old' launchers or multiple lauchers. 3 clicks to set up a new vanilla world and 10 for modded - not sure I'd call that hassle.

Soldato
Yeah and most modpacks aren't updated when the client is, which means you end up running an old client (which causes problems online) or multiple clients to keep track of it all. The console/mobile/win10 ecosystem is SOO much less hassle.

:confused::confused: Why do the modpacks need to be updated when the client is? The modpacks receive updates when the modpack author releases them. All the client does is download and install them for you, just like steam does I guess. When you click play it just launches the mod/modpack. If you want to play old versions and not update it wont unless you tell it too. The whole idea behind it is to make it 'one-click' play and in my experience works perfectly??

Have you actually used the Twitch client for modded minecraft?? (that sounds a lot more passive aggressive than I intended but can't think how to word that lol apologies)

EDIT: As above, MultiMC is another great modded minecraft client which makes it all very easy.

Associate
There is a Java version with VR which works really well which you can also play full modpacks on. Vivecraft I think is the name (I haven't tried it for a while and may have changed name since Vives are old VR tech now).
Oh i gotta try this then, I can already imagine myself getting motion sickness with random mods

Soldato
You obviously haven't used MultiMC then. I have saves for vanilla 1.12, 1.13 and 1.15 worlds aswell as All The Mods 3, CrackPack 3, FTB Beyond, FTB Direwolf20, TekTopia, Sky Factory 3 and Sky Factory 4 all in one client launcher. Click to launch any and it loads that version - no need for 'old' launchers or multiple lauchers. 3 clicks to set up a new vanilla world and 10 for modded - not sure I'd call that hassle.

Of course I've used it. It's a wonderful example of managing multiple clients. One for x mod pack, one for y, one for z, one to play online ...

:confused::confused: Why do the modpacks need to be updated when the client is? The modpacks receive updates when the modpack author releases them.

Mods break when new client updates are released. Mods aren't updated straight away, so you have to either wait for your mods to update, or carry on without them. When it comes to mod packs, it's just the same. Except now you're waiting on a mod pack author to release an update after one or more of the mods it contains has been updated. At best that's no better is it? So fine, don't update the client then, exept now you can't play online unless a server happens to support your client version.

Now you may be happy managing that and using multimc and that's fine, but bedrock edition doesnt have any of those issues. It's just easier. No amount of arguing is going to change my mind, I've dabble with Minecraft for 10 years now - I can see the advantages and disadvantages of each platform for what they are.

Soldato
Mods break when new client updates are released. Mods aren't updated straight away, so you have to either wait for your mods to update, or carry on without them. When it comes to mod packs, it's just the same. Except now you're waiting on a mod pack author to release an update after one or more of the mods it contains has been updated. At best that's no better is it? So fine, don't update the client then, exept now you can't play online unless a server happens to support your client version.

Now you may be happy managing that and using multimc and that's fine, but bedrock edition doesnt have any of those issues. It's just easier. No amount of arguing is going to change my mind, I've dabble with Minecraft for 10 years now - I can see the advantages and disadvantages of each platform for what they are.

No one is arguing, at least I wasn't? I too have been playing since 2010 and was just pointing out that in my opinion Bedrock is not any easier than Java if you use clients (the whole point of clients being about making mods etc easy), but if you find Java difficult/more effort then fair enough. My eight year old nephew manages the Twitch client just fine, but we're not all the same I guess? :confused:

EDIT: reading this back to myself I did have a long winded reply explaining my point, but in hindsight, judging the tone of your first reply, you aren't really going to listen so I'll just leave the first bit in.

All I was trying to get across is, that some people find the Java side of it just as easy and you get the benefit of a lot more mods/content.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you're getting confused by what a client is and what the Minecraft launcher is
No, I'm not. I never once mentioned launchers. The client is the main executable.

My eight year old nephew manages the Twitch client just fine, but we're not all the same I guess?
That's not a client, it's just an app.
If you want to play on a server with certain mods then surely the server admins should release the updated stuff to their users at the same time? That's hardly Minecrafts fault is it now? Bedrock or Java.
I didn't mention playing on modded servers, that's another aspect of Java that doesn't factor in bedrock.

Soldato
No, I'm not. I never once mentioned launchers. The client is the main executable.

That's not a client, it's just an app.

I didn't mention playing on modded servers, that's another aspect of Java that doesn't factor in bedrock.

Granted, the twitch 'client' is called an app. They have always been referred to as clients on places like the FTB forums or Reddits, but fair enough.

Either way my point still stands. They still launch what Mojang calls the Minecraft launcher, modified or not.

Soldato
honestly, after having to deal with their customer support I wouldn't bother.

Beginning of Dec I emailed about moving my old account to a new one, chased at the end of Dec,
4 weeks ago they requested all the information I'd sent in Dec.
2 weeks ago "what was your transaction ID?" which i'd sent twice already
1 week ago, we can't find it. Despite sending a screenshot of the message I had when I first purchased it.

Associate
honestly, after having to deal with their customer support I wouldn't bother.

Beginning of Dec I emailed about moving my old account to a new one, chased at the end of Dec,
4 weeks ago they requested all the information I'd sent in Dec.
2 weeks ago "what was your transaction ID?" which i'd sent twice already
1 week ago, we can't find it. Despite sending a screenshot of the message I had when I first purchased it.
Just for clarification, why would want to move account to a new one?

Associate
I believe it was bought out and all the old original accounts had to be migrated over to the new company. You now need a Mojang account
Are you talking about owning the Java version and getting access to the windows version?

I still have access to my java account and can play on it whenever I want. I did redeem the free windows 10 version but I think that was a limited time deal

Associate
Are you talking about owning the Java version and getting access to the windows version?

I still have access to my java account and can play on it whenever I want. I did redeem the free windows 10 version but I think that was a limited time deal
It still works! Thank goodness it took me awhile to thank james.miller. Just saved £45 as I have two java accounts so I can now get my daughter a copy now. thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom