Need help with stop gap car

Soldato
Hi guys. My old Peugeot 307 HDi died last week, the cambelt snapped. So I have no car at the moment. I will ultimately be spending around £6500 to £7500 probably on a Nissan Qashkai petrol 1.6 as I really like the way the car looks.

Until finances are sorted, I need a cheap car to get around. My mobile mechanic says he's got a mate who could repair my car for around £700 and that it's likely the tappets will need replacing as opposed to lots of bent rods and pistons. Apparently he fixed a Citroen where the belt snapped and tappets needed replacing.

Alternatively, my mechanic owns an old white 1.7 diesel Cavalier with 160K he said I could buy for £575. I know it wouldn't give me any problems because I know he looks after cars. But it's 1993 lol and my insurers Churchill won't insure anything older than 25 years.

I'm at a brick wall really. I started looking on AutoTrader for any cars up to £700. Descriptions look good, but many have 3 or 4 owners which worries me. Cars like Astras.

So anyway, I don't want to waffle on but I'm scratching my head. What on earth should I do to get a cheap runaround car that I know isn't dodgy, going to break down, etc? Am I better going through a dealer or private? Anyone here near London got a cheap car for sale that is reliable?

Soldato
On the face of it, £700 doesn't seem like a bad deal to get you by until you are in a better position to buy a new car. You know the Peugeot's history...it's just whether £700 will be enough to cover the repair if it's more than just tappets that need replacing

Soldato
OP
Yeah, that's the thing, no-one really knows the real cost of repair. or if it really will just be tappets. My mobile mechanic seems confident but is getting in touch with his guy and will update me.

McNumpty, yes Ford Focus are supposed to be reliable right? My worry is always how many previous owners, and, how will I know when a cambelt was last changed or if a big end is about to go? Mind you, I'll take my mobile mechanic with me and pay him some money to inspect.

Don
I'm at a brick wall really. I started looking on AutoTrader for any cars up to £700. Descriptions look good, but many have 3 or 4 owners which worries me. Cars like Astras.

Why is 3 or 4 owners a problem?

People don't keep cars forever, and 3-4 owners on a 15 year old car is still going to be 4-5 years each?

Regarding worrying about Cambelts, at this price range it is always going to be a gamble, but better to buy privately rather than trade (so you ask the owner), and always buy on condition not mileage/age/owners (e.g. a 1 owner, low mileage car might have seats ripped to shreds etc as it's been used for the school run etc)

Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris, are fairly safe bets at this price range - both regarded as reliable, and both are chain driven rather than cam belts
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003218661123
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001306766993

Associate
Wouldn't the cavalier be suitable for classic car insurance because of the age? I seem to remember reading some things about people insuring older MX5s etc and them being super cheap on classic insurance.

Sgarrista
Commissario

Youre paying 700 quid for a bucket to drive you around for a few weeks. Who cares on the owners.

Soldato
I'd buy the cavalier because it'd be awesome, however insurance could actually be relatively high in it. Why not just see if you can get a cheap Honda anything that's in reasonable order?

Soldato
Wouldn't the cavalier be suitable for classic car insurance because of the age? I seem to remember reading some things about people insuring older MX5s etc and them being super cheap on classic insurance.

Potentially. Lest time I had classic cover it was super cheap but i had to send in 4 external photos of the car, an engine bay shot & one where mileage was visible on the dash. I couldn't use it for commuting or leave it anywhere unattended overnight & it was limited to about 2k miles a year.

Soldato
Classic insurance is dirt cheap, but limited mileage and usage. Some will let you use it for commuting though.

If you buy the right one it might be appreciating more than the insurance (or tax) cost, so it's basically free :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. I was only worried about multiple owners because it makes me think there might be something seriously wrong with the car, but ok.

Might look into what kind of classic insurance Adrian Flux can offer on the cavalier. Might have to wait till Saturday now as it's good Friday.

Why is 3 or 4 owners a problem?

People don't keep cars forever, and 3-4 owners on a 15 year old car is still going to be 4-5 years each?

Regarding worrying about Cambelts, at this price range it is always going to be a gamble, but better to buy privately rather than trade (so you ask the owner), and always buy on condition not mileage/age/owners (e.g. a 1 owner, low mileage car might have seats ripped to shreds etc as it's been used for the school run etc)

Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris, are fairly safe bets at this price range - both regarded as reliable, and both are chain driven rather than cam belts
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003218661123
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001306766993

Armageus, awesome! My mum had a Jazz years ago, was a good car. I don't know anything about the difference between chain driven and cambelt but sounds like a good option! I shall search for a Jazz and Yaris. Ideally, I wanted the space with backseats down to be same as my 307 because I transport 9 cases of my drumkit for gigs. But I think I could manage.

Man of Honour
Thanks guys. I was only worried about multiple owners because it makes me think there might be something seriously wrong with the car, but ok.

It's a 700 quid banger likely 15+ years old. It's going to have lots of owners - it's the nature of such a thing.

Soldato
OP
How long is that going to take? Why don't you speak to the garage from whom you will be buying the Qashqai about hiring a car until finance can be arranged?

I can't afford to hire cars. I'm out of work since this lockdown started. Though I've got savings, I can't afford to give up a large chunk for a car, because I need to live. My mother passed away last week and we're currently sorting her estate which could take ages. So I'm being extremely careful with money and spending the least possible on a car just up be able to get things done.

Caporegime
I can't afford to hire cars. I'm out of work since this lockdown started. Though I've got savings, I can't afford to give up a large chunk for a car, because I need to live. My mother passed away last week and we're currently sorting her estate which could take ages. So I'm being extremely careful with money and spending the least possible on a car just up be able to get things done.
My sincere condolences.

Don't forget Gumtree, Ebay and Facebook local groups too. Cars at that range don't often get sold at dealers or on autotrader.

Soldato
Yeah, that's the thing, no-one really knows the real cost of repair. or if it really will just be tappets. My mobile mechanic seems confident but is getting in touch with his guy and will update me.

McNumpty, yes Ford Focus are supposed to be reliable right? My worry is always how many previous owners, and, how will I know when a cambelt was last changed or if a big end is about to go? Mind you, I'll take my mobile mechanic with me and pay him some money to inspect.
Believe the cam belt is good for about 100k on a focus none of the old 30~40k
Obviously if its got any service history would help
I think it's one of ford's best cars
And had that cavalier model long time ago really liked it
Think the Isuzu engine ones were bullet proof from memory
And already mentioned but classic cars insurance is an option

Back
Top Bottom