Minecraft 1.15.2 Vanilla Server now up and running!!

Associate
I'll have a look when I jump on later. I'm happy for the direct option with a universal return rail but that would need a fair amount of planning and infrastructure, although time is plentiful at the moment lol! I'd be correct in saying you're suggesting a tunnel with two rails - one to and one back from the destination? My only real concern with this system is if a player wants to get to a farm/location that's on their "half" of the nether (you to the guardian farm for example) you'd have to travel to the Nether Hub before travelling back to the farm. We'd certainly need to do a fair amount of clearing out at the Nether Spawn area, although be careful, I'm fairly sure it's close to the top of the Nether caves!

What could be fun is having different tunnel designs depending on destination. Let me get my Voxel Map up and show the potential destinations etc and we'll take it from there.

Planning and putting the infrastructure in place will be hilariously difficult, but that's where the fun is, I can see it being somewhat rough and ready and refine as we go. For midway branches like myself to the guardian farm, I'd probably just create a separate single branch line outside the main network. Different tunnel designs per route would be a great idea, make routes instantly recognisable.

After looking at your map waypoints i think a hybrid design of both our ideas might be preferable, we could still have the central station with multiple branches but on some routes have your way-station design where it makes logical sense and is limited in no. per branch. That will simplify the design but not making journeys too onerous. Let me know what you think.

Soldato
OP
What we could do is maybe retain the existing East//West tunnel that's already in place and have multiple tracks on each, then heading off on a North/South direction to each location maybe? It would make for quite a wide East/West tunnel, but that could look quite impressive with a single theme/decoration, with the North/South destination tunnels then being decorated individually possibly? As you say, the logistics are quite the thing lol!

I think the design of the central station with one track outbound is the way forward, with the selector system you showed me, but maybe we have two main platforms, one heading to East bound locations and one West bound - that would give us capacity for 16 individual destinations. The Spawn portal is far enough from the East/West tunnel for us to construct the station/track selector system.

We can double some up - for instance Lewis_Raz has his own rail from the Generic Mob farm, so that could work - one route labelled Mob Farm/Lewis_Raz and put in a way-station at the mob farm exit possibly?

Things like End access would probably want their own rail as that's an important destination for the Ender Farm etc.

Lots of things to consider/plan!!

Edit: I think I'll jump on later with a view to clearing out the area around the spawn portal :)

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like you guys need a train station. Maybe some coloured lines in the tunnels along with some funky names for each line. :p

Tempted to jump back on, but the gaming apathy is real.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you guys need a train station. Maybe some coloured lines in the tunnels along with some funky names for each line. :p

Tempted to jump back on, but the gaming apathy is real.

It's what we're planning - Sylvet/ @hegemon showed me a great design where you have one single track outbound with a selector system. There is a list of 8 destinations with a redstone lamp under each one. You rotate an item in an item frame which then selects the destination (and shows you by lighting up the lamp under it). You then jump in the rail cart and head off and automatically get switched to the correct track via redstone magic behind the scenes!! :)

Feel free to jump back on :p

Edit: I had a play with the goldfarm - zombie reinforcements can actually spawn in on glass, hence them appearing down in the collection area. That has been carpeted to stop them spawning, plus a few carpets up at the afk spot but there is a remote possibility they *may* spawn on the four remaining glass blocks at the afk spot. You will be safe on the afk trapdoor, but it is something to consider. If you're after easy xp then I'm making a super fast Ender ender in the next few days (it will be xp only, no real pearl storage)

Caporegime
I think the reason I left so soon last time is because giving the player all sorts of stuff right off the bat, armour, iron, weapons, food, wood, etc, spoiled some of the fun for me, I had an inventory full of stuff, and then couldn't decide what to do!

I think I'll re-join in a bit, put everything back, then go off and gather my own things from scratch in a quiet corner somewhere :)

Soldato
OP
I think the reason I left so soon last time is because giving the player all sorts of stuff right off the bat, armour, iron, weapons, food, wood, etc, spoiled some of the fun for me, I had an inventory full of stuff, and then couldn't decide what to do!

I think I'll re-join in a bit, put everything back, then go off and gather my own things from scratch in a quiet corner somewhere :)

Yeah the stuff in the spawn shack is to use if you want - what sometimes happens is the area around spawn can be devoid of all resources making the start for new players difficult and it was to mitigate that down the line! I personally like to grab some food then head off to find a nice place to start, others like more gear to start. I thought the approach of "start with what you want to" works better than being equipped with a load of gear automatically when you first join (as I've experienced on other servers in the past).

Server's not going anywhere so whenever you're ready :)

Associate
I quite fancy joining you guys but I'm having issues with my PC at the moment, wondering if any of you are better than I am at finding faults. This is a big ask so don't feel obliged to help! If anyone has had something similar in the past though any help sorting it out would be greatly appreciated!

When I try and launch Minecraft (modded or standard) it crashes out before doing anything. Looking at the log it seems to be something around the Java runtime environment not being set up properly? Getting an error code of 000000 basically (not on my PC right now so can't check what it is exactly but the googling I did didn't help me much)

I think it's a fairly serious issue though, as I have the same issue with a lot of games on Steam, hit run and the button goes green saying "running" for a few seconds then goes back to "play" without ever launching the game. Must be something I've accidentally deleted while clearing hard drive space right? Verifying local files came back as fine so at a bit of a loss as to where to look next.

Associate
Yeah tried updating to the latest, installing from scratch and a few other things with no joy. I think it's one of those things where I'll have to reinstall windows to fully fix and I really don't want to. Might have to bite the bullet and do it this weekend because I'm missing out!

Associate
@petridish Try repairing Windows before doing a full reinstall. Maybe something got corrupted.

Make sure you back up any important stuff just to be safe.

Good luck :).

I keep meaning to jump on but something always comes up.

Soldato
OP
I keep meaning to jump on but something always comes up.

Whenever you're ready/find time :)

Spent a little while clearing out some of the area around the Nether Spawn Portal - there's currently a 38x38 7 block high area cleared out there. The floor is currently 2 blocks of Netherrack thick. Underneath is a similar 38x38 platform which is only 1 block thick as the area is quite close to the top of the Nether caverns. It was a bit of a pain but scaffolding blocks sure are useful!

No idea how much space we need, but it's a start. Be aware though that at the moment it's quite the mob farm - I think I need to go back an at least replace the upper layer of floor in the main bit with lower half slabs to stop mobs spawning - the main issue being Ghasts can spawn there lol!!

D9BVsPF.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've been doing some scheming/thinking and have come up with some thoughts. The idea is that there is an outbound platform and a return platform. The returning rails all converge on a universal return rail. The outbound track is where you select your destination, jump on the track and the redstone directs you to the correct place. I like the idea of an East/West running main tunnel with an East and West outbound platform each side. The system I have in mind would have, for the West locations, a main tunnel with 6 outbound tracks and one universal return line, so 7 tracks. The tracks then head off on a North/South tangent to their various destinations. This would mean the main East/West tunnel would be 7 blocks wide, although I would suggest 9 for future updates (each outbound platform can have 8 selectable destinations)

I've got my head around that, and also the outbound track layout so there's no crossing of tracks. What I'm really struggling with at the moment is the universal return track. I'd like to (for the most part) have the system basically on one level, but can't fathom out how to connect the returning track. Well, I can but it would involve a crossover of the outbound track. It is possible to have the rails set out as below so the red journey and blue journeys stay in the correct direction. It is possible to cross multiple tracks in this way. See the pics below for what I mean.

Any ideas/thoughts? Cheers - Ham

WnriPuN.jpg

dmPrbxP.jpg

Soldato
OP
Having had a play in a creative test world it's just not possible to get the rails to connect how I want. I did, however, come up with this sort of design/concept. It would mean the tunnels would be a little taller but that's not real issue. The cross over returns could also have details added like columns/posts etc to hold them up. I think this would work! Coloured track is outbound black is common return.

hTHXS1J.png

I've also been playing with location selectors. There's a couple of options/ideas. Both use an item frame. One is more complicated in that it will illuminate the destination. It's good but quite large.

The other is where the arrow in the item frame points to a sign. Much more compact but less impressive.

Both ideas below

Xo6GpV8.png

fDUNMD3.png

aYL40wG.png

Edit:

Managed to condense/amalgamate the two designs - the final footprint is 13x15 blocks and it needs 6 blocks on the vertical axis, so not too bad. The issue was trying to split the signal to both the indicator lamp AND the points system that is behind the whole thing:

7YRDLGl.png

FgGmuUm.png

Bit messy where I've had to take the signal to the points, but it works and is compact!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've had a dig/layout and here's the footprint I think each platform/station will take up. Red is the return rail - blue is outbound to the track selector area and purple and pick represent the 8 out going tracks. The red rectangle is the selection area/redstone stuff. Not too bad tbh!

PFvW9Tr.png

And all dug out two blocks spare to add in decoration blocks!!

VnPRz68.png

East bound main tunnel also dug out ready out to my place/gold farm

SROshVp.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The first 8 track selector system and track layout is now in place. Still very much a work in progress but the selector system is now fully operational - select the track colour of choice, enter the white track and you'll come out on the corresponding track. Neat huh? :)

The basics are in place - need to work on designs and decorating - feel free to help/offer ideas etc. I'll replicate the selector system on the other side later on today for the West bound tracks. Be wary there at the moment as Ghasts can and do spawn there. We'll make sure it's all Ghast proof in the final design/decoration.

hL1fWIU.png

Associate
The first 8 track selector system and track layout is now in place. Still very much a work in progress but the selector system is now fully operational - select the track colour of choice, enter the white track and you'll come out on the corresponding track. Neat huh? :)

The basics are in place - need to work on designs and decorating - feel free to help/offer ideas etc. I'll replicate the selector system on the other side later on today for the West bound tracks. Be wary there at the moment as Ghasts can and do spawn there. We'll make sure it's all Ghast proof in the final design/decoration.

Station hall is progressing, went with your idea of half slab below rails as it looked much better, going to work on ceiling lighting next.

Kg6Vl22.png

Back
Top Bottom