Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Soldato
That’s not RAM management is it? It must be the app only plays when screen is on. Like YouTube audio also stops when screen is off

Well for one, that would be crazy. Surely iOS couldn't get that big if it only allows audio media to play with the screen on? That would be a huge issue, surely? Secondly, after some time of keep turning the screen on, it will eventually let the podcast keep playing. (It is almost like it learns to let it keep playing)

Man of Honour
This is really helpful - I'm having the same debate with myself at the moment.

I think my main tie in to Google's ecosystem is Photos. How did you deal with this? You say you're using Amazon Photos now, but did you transfer all your old pics across? Or are you just using Amazon moving forward and the old pics are still on Google?

Just use google photos on the iPhone.

Man of Honour
Well for one, that would be crazy. Surely iOS couldn't get that big if it only allows audio media to play with the screen on? That would be a huge issue, surely? Secondly, after some time of keep turning the screen on, it will eventually let the podcast keep playing. (It is almost like it learns to let it keep playing)

I play YouTube, podcasts, Spotify, and WhatsApp calls with the screen off (or using other apps) regularly. Either you have an app or a user issue.

For some sources such as YouTube I do have to press play once the screen turns off to continue playing, but I think that’s the only one as Google keep trying to encourage eyes on the screen for advertising purposes.

Soldato
I play YouTube, podcasts, Spotify, and WhatsApp calls with the screen off (or using other apps) regularly. Either you have an app or a user issue.

For some sources such as YouTube I do have to press play once the screen turns off to continue playing, but I think that’s the only one as Google keep trying to encourage eyes on the screen for advertising purposes.

I thought the reason YouTube stopped playing once you were away from the app was because that is a premium feature?

Soldato

Buggy app by the sounds of it.

Soldato
Just saying it's something up with the app, not iOS

Soldato
Either you have an app or a user issue.

I don't see how it can be a user issue. You open the app, you press play, you press the power button (or wait for screen time out). Then a few second later, or maybe even immediately, it stops.

Just saying it's something up with the app, not iOS

Seems unlikely surely? I doubt Google want it to stop if the screen goes off and I doubt they struggle for programming ability, surely? (Also, the fact it will eventually keep playing, the code wont change, but RAM management might?)

Soldato
I don't see how it can be a user issue. You open the app, you press play, you press the power button (or wait for screen time out). Then a few second later, or maybe even immediately, it stops.

Seems unlikely surely? I doubt Google want it to stop if the screen goes off and I doubt they struggle for programming ability, surely? (Also, the fact it will eventually keep playing, the code wont change, but RAM management might?)

It’ll be a buggy app.

Try a different app.

Last edited:
Associate
Ask many iPhone users and they say 1 of the reasons they don't try android is because it doesn't have facetime and all their friends have iPhones.
Yet all their friends could ....and probably do....have WhatsApp so what's the difference ?

Soldato
Lol. No. If somebody has never used an iPhone before why would they switch just because Apple are offering a cheaper version? I certainly wouldn't switch as I don't like IOS at all.

iOS is a better operating system than android. The Apple ecosystem of devices is better than anyone else’s. It also means you can completely get rid of google out of your life. No more supporting their anti-competitive business practices. So a switch to Apple is both an ethical and practical upgrade.

Soldato
Who buys a phone because it's ethical to do so? :confused: And to claim Google is anti competitive but Apple isn't is nonsense. Plus people prefer Android to IOS or vice versa. People won't switch just because a cheap iPhone is available.

Associate
People saying the SE blows all mid range androids out of the water.... how's that then ?
Fast processor and good camera I get but what about the low res screen,poor battery life,slow charger and 6 year old design with huge bezels ?
It looks like it belongs in a museum to be honest.

Soldato
Who buys a phone because it's ethical to do so? :confused: And to claim Google is anti competitive but Apple isn't is nonsense. Plus people prefer Android to IOS or vice versa. People won't switch just because a cheap iPhone is available.

Me and many millions of other people? I always consider the ethics of a company before buying from them. Are they pro-competition or are they trying to conquer an entire market and shut out all competitors? Do they have a programme of work that keeps their suppliers on a tight leash? How environmentally friendly are they in what they do?

Soldato
I'm considering it, Google's role in surveillance capitalism is disgusting

Man of Honour

With some apps/websites the video or audio is intentionally stopped when the screen off trigger is detected, which makes sense for videos. For these apps/websites they will often allow background playback if you go to the lock screen and press play from there. I know that's a bit counter intuitive, but that's what I mean by a user issue and not knowing the finer details about the OS.

A lot of Google's apps aren't properly designed to work on Apple devices, such as Google Maps, Keep, and Chrome not integrating properly, so it wouldn't surprise me if they forgot to ignore the screen off trigger or handle it incorrectly on their podcast app.

I thought the reason YouTube stopped playing once you were away from the app was because that is a premium feature?

Use the browser not the app and it works. I use an adguard and Safari to have no adverts and play videos/playlists with the screen off without paying for the premium service.

Google will get more money for adverts if they can show that the user is engaged with the advert (i.e. looking at it), but if you pay for the service then they do not need to get the revenue from adverts and they can enable easy screen-off playback.

Soldato
For these apps/websites they will often allow background playback if you go to the lock screen and press play from there. I know that's a bit counter intuitive, but that's what I mean by a user issue and not knowing the finer details about the OS.

Okay, thanks. Seems quite odd too me... but okay. :) (I still wouldn't call that a user issue, I would call that a design choice/fault :) )

Soldato
Okay, thanks. Seems quite odd too me... but okay. :) (I still wouldn't call that a user issue, I would call that a design choice/fault :) )

The podcasts app should work in the background with the screen off. If it doesn’t it’s because there’s a problem with the app that the app developer needs to fix.

Google are pretty notorious for their ropey apps so I wouldn’t put it past them deliberately doing it.

Back
Top Bottom