Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
What's causing European markets to be down 3-4% today ? Surprising when most news is focused around easing of lockdowns and generally better news related to the virus when it comes to deaths

Soldato
Fewer deaths because people are at home. No real positives about a vaccine etc. Tell me how this doesn't become a major problem again - and repeatedly - when the lock down is lifted? I think the market is adapting to the reality of the numbers, and that the irrational exuberance of recent weeks is exactly that. FOMO investors may well have a major rug pull coming soon - not the -7% days, but the slow decay of their finances over a prolonged downward trend.

Or +5 tomorrow, who knows.

Soldato
Can you buy that on 212trading? I can't find it on there at all?

I don't use 212 but know they are limited in what they offer.

Enjoying the GDR ride. Funny how you wish you'd put in more to the good'uns and less in to the laggers :)

Hindsight, could sit here wishing that I'd taken a 5 figure YOLO on 2200% :p

Argh, I regret selling my stake in GDR now - amazing rise this morning.
Still, I sold with a huge % over my initial investment. I was getting greedy. Oh well.

Crazy, Thursdays drop just triggered my stop-loss for around 90% of my holding which annoyed me slightly despite still clearing a decent return especially given the time frame.

I was waiting for more of a drop this morning but with news edging closer I topped up about 45 minutes before it spiked.

Associate
However, been keeping an eye on Begbies Traynor Group PLC 'Confidential Business Rescue Advice. Licensed Insolvency Practitioners - the UK's No.1 for Business Recovery' quoted from their website. Looks like these guys could still be busy even with all the government support for businesses. Bought in at 66.20 a week ago. They are listed on the AIM Index!!

Hope some of you bought into BEG over a month ago, price has nearly doubled.

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone please recommend a good Broker suitable for the UK with a decent platform?

have used Plus 500 and 212 but want something with a larger market

don’t like interactive brokers

Have used TradeZero and TDameritrade when I lived in the US but can’t use here

thank you

Soldato
Can anyone please recommend a good Broker suitable for the UK with a decent platform?

thank you

I was going to say IB, probably widest choice out of all the brokers out there.

You can use the likes of captrader too - slightly higher fees but lower minimum requirements (but same software etc. as IB, they're a reseller)

I'm sure TDAmeritrade accept international customers, I use them too.

Associate

thank you

Have a look at IG as well. If you trade 3+ times per month the trade fees are £3 on UK shares and free on US shares although there is a 0.5% comission on the currencey exchange, although you can load up your account in other currencies if you wish.

Soldato
If I sold the properties I would be left with about 350K with about 25-30yrs to invest.

The costs of property like insurance, letting fees , maintenance fees really start to add up.

Any thoughts?

You can make more outside residential sure but its a question for a financial advisor really. The obvious point is lower security while taking higher risks. Gains in markets can be lumpy, oil should be a safe investment and look at it now. Safe as houses in UK with its growing population I dont think is far wrong. Its way easier to mess up in the wider investment market, redirect returns from safe into risky stuff.

https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F0GBR069T2
Closest thing I got to a tech fund despite having one ages ago and buying Cisco on their big sell off and unpopular Intel, I didnt hold them enough :o I should probably aim to increase a holding here or examine it better with that intent

Is GDR very risky, its so tiny it would rise just from any publicity effect I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

After some opinions on what currency to trade in (as opposed to trading currency!).

At the moment I've got a trading 212 account in gbp, with a mix of US and UK stocks. It struck me that it might make more sense to have a separate USD account for the US stocks, given potential exchange rate fluctuations when brexit happens.

What do you think? What currency do you guys trade with?

Associate
Hi all,

After some opinions on what currency to trade in (as opposed to trading currency!).

At the moment I've got a trading 212 account in gbp, with a mix of US and UK stocks. It struck me that it might make more sense to have a separate USD account for the US stocks, given potential exchange rate fluctuations when brexit happens.

What do you think? What currency do you guys trade with?

I'm not sure this makes sense. If you hold US stocks in a GBP trading account, and US stocks in a USD trading account, as long as you hold the same line, it makes no difference to the global value of the shares which account you have them in. If you are planning on trading during periods of volatility, then yes it might make sense to have a USD account to avoid the FX spread on the buy/sell side if you are forced to repatriate against GBP each time.

Soldato
I'm afraid I'm going to show my ignorance here but how do folk find out how many buys and sells are being made on a particular stock. I've read on other forums folk discussing "big sells" or "big buys" - just wandered where they see that information.

Back
Top Bottom