Fiona Bruce

Caporegime
Time will not equal success in a trade.
As a welder for the good part of 20 years I have worked with many willing /enthusiastic people who will never get the hang of it.ever.
But by economic necessity you probably had to give up on such people after x weeks of training, right?

Who is to say that after 2 years they might not be very competent? After 10 years they might be excellent?

But business necessity probably means you won't hold on to them past their probation period if they aren't showing good progress from the beginning.

Not everybody learns at the same rate, but I don't believe for one second the slow learners can't master welding, eventually.

Soldato
Well you try and pass PCV bus driver qualification, it's not as easy as you'd think.

I'm amazed by the skill of the bus drivers recruiters. How are they able to find so many miserable, angry souls complete devoid of any of the simplistic forms of customer service?

I don't believe driving a bus is that hard, it removes everything else from your brain leaving you an angry, bitter sod.

Or is this just First Bus Glasgow?

Soldato
I'm amazed by the skill of the bus drivers recruiters. How are they able to find so many miserable, angry souls complete devoid of any of the simplistic forms of customer service?

I don't believe driving a bus is that hard, it removes everything else from your brain leaving you an angry, bitter sod.

Hopefully they'll be outsourced to computers by the end of the decade, same with trains, we'll just have to endure years of strikes over "safety concerns" first.

Caporegime
But by economic necessity you probably had to give up on such people after x weeks of training, right?

Who is to say that after 2 years they might not be very competent? After 10 years they might be excellent?

But business necessity probably means you won't hold on to them past their probation period if they aren't showing good progress from the beginning.

Not everybody learns at the same rate, but I don't believe for one second the slow learners can't master welding, eventually.

How much welding experience do you have?

Caporegime
How much welding experience do you have?

Obviously none :D I did some work when I was younger in a steel and fabrication place, there are those who can weld competently and get the job done and then there are those who were doing perfect spot welds within a couple of years. You can only really achieve that if you have excellent manual dexterity.

Soldato
Those comments are gold, better call the word police or start an uprising.

"That is disgraceful, from the editor, producer to the presenter"
"Fiona Bruce is trying to disguise the fact that *she's unskilled* but highly paid. It's a topsy-turvy, Orwellian, Tory, exploitative world."

Soldato

Are the passengers pleasant and polite to the driver ? In my experience you reap what you sow ....

Soldato

You would think so,but some companies don't mind rubbish welding.
Never take me around a theme park I'll spend more time pointing and talking about the welding !

Different levels of welding,some is a lot harder to master,making it look nice is another matter.
Most will master it to a degree.

Soldato
Obviously none :D I did some work when I was younger in a steel and fabrication place, there are those who can weld competently and get the job done and then there are those who were doing perfect spot welds within a couple of years. You can only really achieve that if you have excellent manual dexterity.

I'm good at welding but have no co ordination playing pool and can't throw to save my life.
Go figure

Soldato

A family member of mine drives for stagecoach,they have a toilet break only at the main bus stations and only if their break lands on said bus stop.
The abuse they got of passengers is unbelievable.
You have to navigate past idiots on the road.

And to top it off they have me as a family member so that explains the depression!

Soldato
There must be welders, who are payed more than fiona bruce ... structural welding on ships/reactors when they are x-raying joints etc. ? (too much of the discovery channel)

Doesn't it depend how she said this anyway - perjorative ? if you listen to john snow sometimes it just exudes self-righteous arrogance

Soldato
Maybe i've been living in a cave. Don't watch much tv apart from comedy and documentaries and don't go on Twitter... Fiona Bruce??

But I do agree with her that low skill workers are, well, low skilled :confused:

Caporegime
There must be welders, who are payed more than fiona bruce ... structural welding on ships/reactors when they are x-raying joints etc. ? (too much of the discovery channel)

Doesn't it depend how she said this anyway - perjorative ? if you listen to john snow sometimes it just exudes self-righteous arrogance

Highest paid guys I've worked with were offshore subsea welders and they were on a contract rate which worked out at about 200k per year.

Back
Top Bottom