• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
FWIW, I reckon RDNA2 will ray trace a lot better than Turing, yet won't match Ampere, but AMD's implementation of ray tracing will be more refined reducing rendering bottlenecks and just tip overall performance over Ampere just a tad. Although it's been discussed the rendering workloads on Ampere are significantly more balanced now.

that's not 'pulling a Ryzen though', what would be is Ampere 3080Ti coming in at £1k and Big Navi out performing those same specs for £700 i.e. leap frog the performance and deliver it cheaper and arguably back to where the market should be without the inflation and extortion that's been applied in recent years.

Soldato
I'd like to see that too.

But it's an big ask though with RDNA2 being AMD's first generation implementation of RT.
Realistically I cannot see them out performing Nvidia's new upcoming range.
I think it would take something real special like an dual GPU die card to make up the deficit that they are lagging behind by imho.
But why? They did it with Ryzen. Jumping from Faildozer and its derivatives into Zen 1 literally jumped them right up into Intel's face out of the blue.

And I'll tell you something, you could argue RDNA 1 would've done it too. Remember the outcry when the 5700 XT Anniversary Edition was actually labelled RX 680? Think about that...the top-model of AMD's traditionally entry-level tier demolished Nvidia's mid-range card (RTX 2070). It's a shame there was clearly some technical issue preventing RDNA 1 scaling up beyond 40 CUs as intended, and AMD went price-happy pushing the cards a couple of tiers higher than they should've been.

Not saying all this will happen, but the argument of "AMD can't because they're lagging so much" just really isn't an argument any more given what Zen and RDNA 1 showed us.

Soldato
@LePhuronn

I guess we will see. :)
All I'm saying is AMD has to cross an huge performance void from the 5700XT if it's going to get anywhere near the new 3080(ti).
Of which would've happened already if RDNA1 had scaled up like it was supposed to. Right now I'll be more surprised if AMD's deficit remains as big as it is. But then, AMD actually having a "deficit" is a discussion in itself (excluding Vega, of course :p)

Soldato
As long as they (read: AMD) don't try and "jebait" anyone again. I have no doubt that RDNA 2 can match a 3080ti in rasterized performance benchmarks on a fair and even playground. RT performance I feel is less likely but not impossible I feel. I'm looking forward to both Nvidia's and AMD's launches which I haven't been able to say for Nvidia in a long time.

Associate
I'm really happy with AMD now which is more than what I could've said previously.... Ryzen is fantastic, look at the 3900x in which will be paired with a higher end gpu which will typically be gaming at 1440p/4K and it'll offer virtually the same performance as Intel whilst offering much better multi threaded performance for less money. RDNA1 is a good indication as what's to come and AMD don't need to exceed or match 3080 Ti performance. If they can offer 80% of the performance for 60% - 50% of the price £550-£600 which should be £50-£100 cheaper than the 3080 ( whilst matching it ) will be excellent

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm really happy with AMD now which is more than what I could've said previously.... Ryzen is fantastic, look at the 3900x in which will be paired with a higher end gpu which will typically be gaming at 1440p/4K and it'll offer virtually the same performance as Intel whilst offering much better multi threaded performance for less money. RDNA1 is a good indication as what's to come and AMD don't need to exceed or match 3080 Ti performance. If they can offer 80% of the performance for 60% - 50% of the price £550-£600 which should be £50-£100 cheaper than the 3080 ( whilst matching it ) will be excellent

+1

Soldato
that's a long long way from 'pulling a Ryzen in the GPU market' unfortunately

Ryzen wasn't perfect as well, far from it. If AMD equals or comes close to the nVIDIA offerings at a very good price, will be something. For instance, R290X @$545 matched nVIDIA's $1000 Titan. Knowing AMD with the latest moves, they won't pull a Ryzen as they'll price their cards as high as possible - and probably find new way to sabotage themselves somehow, like they always do! :D

Wonder how long it'll be before an apu makes a GPU redundant for even the high end, can't really see it in the short term as the heat output would be mental.

Not sure how beneficial that would be if you're used to upgrade your PC incrementally. Why should I pay extra and change the CPU when all I need to upgrade is the GPU? :)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

+2

If the 2080Ti is capable of 4k or gives the line in the sand so to speak, and the 3080Ti is going to be near 50% faster figuratively speaking, then this is also where I would be happy too. Not quite the nvidia flagship performance, but if it leaves the 2080Ti for dust and costs less than it..

My best guess is AMD's top RDNA2 card will probably end up being around 10% faster than the 2080ti (aka the Nvidia killer, current gen) while costing say somewhere around the £600 to £700ish mark.
All-in-all that would not be an horrible result for AMD, as that is still some strong performance for the price.
But that would mean AMD is battling it out at the low end of the Nvidia product stack again (the 3060, 3070) rather than the top.

But that's just my opinion, as I said above I would love to be proven wrong.
Seeing Lisa Su walk out on stage wearing a full black leather jacket and just stand there with a cheeky little smirk on her face would be priceless lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
My best guess is AMD's top RDNA2 card will probably end up being around 10% faster than the 2080ti (aka the Nvidia killer, current gen) while costing say somewhere around the £600 to £700ish mark.
All-in-all that would not be an horrible result for AMD, as that is still some strong performance for the price.
But that would mean AMD is battling it out at the low end of the Nvidia product stack again (the 3060, 3070) rather than the top.

Seeing Lisa Su walk out on stage wearing a full black leather jacket and just stand there with a cheeky little smirk on her face would be priceless lol.

If the RDNA2 efficiency improvements are actually as large as AMD and articles have stated, 2080Ti performance would possibly be doable with a 5700XT replacement let alone a big part.

I don't know if that will happen though and I completely understand all these articles will likely be fed with bestcase information (or complete nonsense) and AMD will only give out the good bits so we will see if that actually pans out.

Anything from AMD or Nvidia that make me want to buy a proper 4k120 monitor would be nice though :D.

Caporegime
Wonder how long it'll be before an apu makes a GPU redundant for even the high end, can't really see it in the short term as the heat output would be mental.
It never will, surely.

Whatever surface area you dedicate to your APU's GPU, if you dedicated 2x or 3x that surface area on a dedicated GPU, you'd have a faster product.

Can't see APUs ever taking the mid- to high-end.

Soldato
Wondering what it will cost for 100+FPS @1440p with decent ray tracing? I'm being that will be high end and not a lot of change from a grand.
Define "decent ray tracing". If you want your ray tracing at the same time as 100+ FPS @ 1440p then I'm not sure even big Ampere can do that. Ray tracing alone on Ampere is suggested to be 4 times better (to the point where the 3060 should ray trace as well as a 2080 Ti), so things are certainly getting there, and DLSS 3.0 is supposedly damn good in design, implementation and the entire product stack has a boat load of Tensor cores to run it for an extra kick.

I don't see AMD being light years behind, but I'd be surprised if they come out first time with Ampere-equivalent RT performance.

Soldato
Define "decent ray tracing". If you want your ray tracing at the same time as 100+ FPS @ 1440p then I'm not sure even big Ampere can do that. Ray tracing alone on Ampere is suggested to be 4 times better (to the point where the 3060 should ray trace as well as a 2080 Ti), so things are certainly getting there, and DLSS 3.0 is supposedly damn good in design, implementation and the entire product stack has a boat load of Tensor cores to run it for an extra kick.

I don't see AMD being light years behind, but I'd be surprised if they come out first time with Ampere-equivalent RT performance.

Ok well that tempers my expectations! By decent I mean noticeable, you turn it on and can see why you spent all that money :)

By the level of performance you're anticipating 4K RT at 60fps sounds like it will be another generation away. Not that that affects me. I'll stick with 1440p until there is a real change in panel technology.

Associate

If that's all AMD are bringing from their top RDNA2 card they might as well forget it. 2080ti+10% performance at £600-£700 in 2020 isn't going to work. It sounds acceptable but I think AMD needs 2080ti +20%
for £600. That's the minimum performance we should be expecting nearly 2 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom