• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If that's all AMD are bringing from their top RDNA2 card they might as well forget it. 2080ti+10% performance at £600-£700 in 2020 isn't going to work. It sounds acceptable but I think AMD needs 2080ti +20%
for £600. That's the minimum performance we should be expecting nearly 2 years later.

Nvidia is offering 2080Ti+0% performance at $1200 nearly two years later. (right now)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nvidia is offering 2080Ti+0% performance at $1200 nearly two years later. (right now)
Yeah, mad ain't it.

No big deal though, that will soon change, not long now :)

I know some seem to find it hard to believe but I remember it clearly when the 980Ti was still king and people were paying £600 or more for it leading up to the release of the 1000 series and could not understand that the 1070 would be bringing that performance for much cheaper. Price for performance always improves over time.

Soldato
Yeah, mad ain't it.

No big deal though, that will soon change, not long now :)

I know some seem to find it hard to believe but I remember it clearly when the 980Ti was still king and people were paying £600 or more for it leading up to the release of the 1000 series and could not understand that the 1070 would be bringing that performance for much cheaper. Price for performance always improves over time.

I hope it's sooner rather than later. My 1080ti is working very hard to drive my Reverb in PC2.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If that's all AMD are bringing from their top RDNA2 card they might as well forget it. 2080ti+10% performance at £600-£700 in 2020 isn't going to work. It sounds acceptable but I think AMD needs 2080ti +20%
for £600. That's the minimum performance we should be expecting nearly 2 years later.

:D I get where your point is, I think we just want that performance now for what top tier cards used to command which was sensible, i.e. £400-£500.

True but they are only holding back because they know AMD is about to release too. There's no doubt it will be a beast but going to be silly money.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think it should but I'd argue that the 2080, 2080S and 2080Ti might not have achieved that and the 1080 whilst undeniably quick wasn't a cheap card. We are seeing Nvidia significantly mess about with that price/performance ratio
Historically if zooming into a graph and nitpicking yes. But consider there was not much of difference between 14 and 12nm so that is likely why that was the case with those cards, they ended up with huge die’s and no competition. Now they are going 7nm where they will have a huge boost in transistors. Price for performance will improve, I have no doubt about this. The question is, by how much? Hopefully a lot :)

Man of Honour
I think it should but I'd argue that the 2080, 2080S and 2080Ti might not have achieved that and the 1080 whilst undeniably quick wasn't a cheap card. We are seeing Nvidia significantly mess about with that price/performance ratio

Turing is the worst family of GPUs NVidia have ever produced, they are way over priced for what you.

Having said that Turing is still better performance wise than anything that has gone before.

Unfortunately Turing will also effect Ampere pricing too -

Do NVidia produce Ampere cards with noticeably more performance at the same price points as the Turing cards or do they go for cheaper Ampere cards with similar performance to Turing?

Caporegime
Are they going to sell it for more than 3 months? whatever happened to HBM people were saying it was magic and effectively doubled memory when 4GB VEGA first appeared?

Soldato
Are they going to sell it for more than 3 months? whatever happened to HBM people were saying it was magic and effectively doubled memory when 4GB VEGA first appeared?

Think its just cost I do think AMD will still release GPUs using HBM but it will be either high end or not for gaming.

Some of the features to expect from 2nd Generation RDNA Navi GPUs would be:

• Optimized 7nm process node
  • Enthusiast-grade desktop graphics card options
  • Hardware-Level Ray Tracing Support
  • A mix of GDDR6 and HBM2 graphics cards
  • More power-efficient than First-Gen Navi GPUs

Last edited:
Soldato
Based on this leak I'm wondering if prices will be same as the current cards since supposedly the largest die size (Navi21) is supposed to replace the 5700XT -5600XT.
Twice the die size as the 5700xt and giving 50% performance per watt is a good step up if true. Especially if they keep the price in the same region.

Soldato
Having listened to some interviews with Frank Azor I'm becoming more confident of AMD's strategy. I don't think they are necessarily aiming to "beat" Nvidia, at least in performance terms. In a lot of ways they haven't done that to Intel. What they have done is raised the bar on performance/$. The average user now has access to a lot more CPU power for the money than a few years ago.

If I was young and wanting to buy a gaming PC a free years back it would have been eye wateringly expensive. Now with Ryzen you can build a decent PC for hundreds not thousands of pounds. That, l think, is where they're going with Radeon, raising the minimum performance for the money. They still aren't beating Intel in gaming, but they don't need to. They can give decent performance to everyone, the majority, that can't afford Intel or don't want to pay it and make more money.

Although we all look at the really high end shiny stuff and see that as where is at, it's not where the money is. I'd be happy with 75% of a 3080Ti for 50% of the money. Heresy in here I know, but I bet that would win them a lot more customers than 5% faster than a 3080Ti for the same money.

Disclaimer: I may be completely wrong ;)

Soldato
People on this forum would have you believe that everyone buys the big 2080ti
Matter of a fact nvidia biggest selling GPU from RTX line up is 2060 and 2070
That is the pricing that isn't abit over the top.

In saying that I normally wouldn't buy a GPU over £500 but this time for big Navi I feel like I will be.

I skipped 5700XT this is my big upgrade for Vega 64

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
People on this forum would have you believe that everyone buys the big 2080ti
Matter of a fact nvidia biggest selling GPU from RTX line up is 2060 and 2070
That is the pricing that isn't abit over the top.

In saying that I normally wouldn't buy a GPU over £500 but this time for big Navi I feel like I will be.

I skipped 5700XT this is my big upgrade for Vega 64
In other words you have a feeling that AMD will bring along much better performance than usual this time and know they will charge for it so you have got the lube out and got yourself ready like the nvidia boys regularly do :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom