• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
It IS on the right way around unless you game with your mobo upside down.

oh yeah the bottom one has the backside up - is it me or are those fans on the same way round, ie the curve is on the outside. Surely one should be outter curve and one is inner curve ? look at the bottom fan the bottom 5 fins are curved inward and the top 4 find look like they are curved outward ? Compare the lighting on the top and bottom fan the top one looks all the same but the bottom one looks different top half but same bottom half. Also look at the video at 57 seconds it shows the front and back fans the same way round so to me they are either both pushing or both pulling (cant remember which way round is which). I would have expected them to be push/pull or pull/push ?

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't mean there would be SSD minimum specs, I meant that their performance will have a big impact as time goes on, mitigating the need for more RAM as speeds increase as there will be less need to move things to RAM as a middle-man.

"0 bottlenecks" is a subjective and nebulous thing due to technology limitations or even bad coding not making full use of hardware and only the really high-end gamers can aim for this.
If the performance of SSDs begin to matter, then you have to have include them in the minimum and recommended system specs. you can't just leave people guessing, what sort of SSD they need for good/acceptable performance.

I don't think PCs can follow the same route as consoles in terms of just swapping data. There is overhead in fetching data due to windows and as far as i am aware that data must go to RAM before it can go to VRAM. So transfer speeds need to be faster than what the consoles are offering.

Mark Cerny said a 7GB/s NVME SSD is what is necessary to keep up with PS5 and that is while being directly plugged into the PS5 controller chip.

Without big changes to how data is handled on PC i just don't think that strategy will work.

Soldato
Moore's law is dead has a giga tier Chad jaw. Dude must be slaying womenz on the side when he isn't fantasizing about upcoming GPU performance.

Its funny how he and others are posting leak info from sources about Zen4 RNDA2-3 etc saying nvidia is worried etc. But They didn't know about the Zen 2 refresh which I would have more low hanging less critical info that's more likely to leak out. That for me puts doubt on what he and A3d says.

If these shots are true, it means again we have more tangible info about Consumer Ampere than we do about "Big Navi"

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
£750-820 for a 3080Ti and I will buy...

That maybe possible. Then they will price the 3090 (if rumours are true) at £1200. So essentially they will have you believe you got a 3080Ti when you just got a 3080 for £800 :p

I just want a 3070 (or whatever is £400-£500 so long as it is close enough to 2080Ti performance), no interest in paying silly moneys. By the time I need more grunt the 4070 or some nvidia killer equivalent card will be out :p:D

Agreed, stop messing around and make them all 50% more expensive ;) :D :p
I always knew you like to give Jensen sweet pleasures :p:D

Soldato
That maybe possible. Then they will price the 3090 (if rumours are true) at £1200. So essentially they will have you believe you got a 3080Ti when you just got a 3080 for £800 :p

I just want a 3070 (or whatever is £400-£500 so long as it is close enough to 2080Ti performance), no interest in paying silly moneys. By the time I need more grunt the 4070 or some nvidia killer equivalent card will be out :p:D

I always knew you like to give Jensen sweet pleasures :p:D

Not happy :( :)

Soldato
Its funny how he and others are posting leak info from sources about Zen4 RNDA2-3 etc saying nvidia is worried etc. But They didn't know about the Zen 2 refresh which I would have more low hanging less critical info that's more likely to leak out. That for me puts doubt on what he and A3d says.

If these shots are true, it means again we have more tangible info about Consumer Ampere than we do about "Big Navi"
What do you mean by "didn't know"?
He first mentioned it in April.
https://youtu.be/x7dtqdbJQW8?t=41
https://youtu.be/xJU4RFs3Dp8?t=453

Edit: Also lets be honest, zen 2 refresh is boring info. Very few people care about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure if system RAM requirements will change but I definitely expect the VRAM requirements will go up a lot this next generation. I expect high end gaming GPU's will ship with 24gb to 32gb of VRAM within 2 years.

AMD is hinting in its twitter posts that it's 2020 gpu lineup starts at 8gb, indicating 8gb is now the bare minimum for next gen gaming. Sounds reasonable to me

Soldato
480 rad and EK 2080ti block, made no difference to clocks attained on 2 different 2080ti's
was quieter, but that's it, I wouldn't recommend water cooling GPU's any more to anyone that doesn't already have a loop

your idea of "blows out of the water" may be different to mine but to say that I would want an actual difference in OC clocks to be attained

If you achieve the same overclock on water and air you're doing something very wrong. The most common problems, and it's a very common problem on Turing is that you run into the power limit long before thermal limits. With a custom loop you should be flashing a minimum of 380w bios to your 2080ti - so you can run 2200mhz clocks that would make the air cooled card hit 100c.

So your issue is probably you cheaped out and bought a 300 non A chip 2080ti or you're lazy and just haven't bothered giving your card the power it's asking for. Either way the problem is you and not the card or your loop, you have the tools to push well past the performance for the air cooled card but you don't want to and now you think that means water cooling sucks, no you just aren't doing it properly.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
The mark of a good PC enthusiast in my humble opinion isn't about spending big and going top of the line.
It's about building capable PCs, choosing your parts carefully while spending the least amount of money to achieve that goal.

Pretty much used to be the case when we could get decent overclocks out of CPU's and GPU's ourselves. It's all a bit more limited these days unfortunately.

I still remember getting about an 80% OC out of an old Athlon CPU.

Soldato

If whatever they sell at that price point is 60% faster than the 2080ti, I don't care what they do with a faster card if they have one. (Although I will probably wait for the hype to calm down and the prices to drop down around $700.)

Soldato
If you achieve the same overclock on water and air you're doing something very wrong. The most common problems, and it's a very common problem on Turing is that you run into the power limit long before thermal limits. With a custom loop you should be flashing a minimum of 380w bios to your 2080ti - so you can run 2200mhz clocks that would make the air cooled card hit 100c.

So your issue is probably you cheaped out and bought a 300 non A chip 2080ti or you're lazy and just haven't bothered giving your card the power it's asking for. Either way the problem is you and not the card or your loop, you have the tools to push well past the performance for the air cooled card but you don't want to and now you think that means water cooling sucks, no you just aren't doing it properly.

My card has the 2nd highest wattage bios already at 370w, given that I've had to RMA my 2080ti's twice there is no way in hell I am risking over a grands worth of GPU for 10W more performance, which would equate to fractions of an fps, you'd have to be mental, it is most definitely an A card.

Feel free to chip in with any other nonsense you fancy, I'm out, if spending lots of money on a bit of plumbing makes you think you are special then carry on, I've removed my GPU from my loop because it gave me no benefit. (but then you said you have yours on air, so not quite sure where the massive chip on your shoulder has come from, never mind eh)

Last edited:
Pretty much used to be the case when we could get decent overclocks out of CPU's and GPU's ourselves. It's all a bit more limited these days unfortunately.

I still remember getting about an 80% OC out of an old Athlon CPU.

True.

Personally I'm not as fussed as I use to be either, it's more of case of 'meh that will do' these days.

I certainly will not be in the first wave of buyers for any of these new cards.
I'll be waiting for the AIB cards from MSI, EVGA, ASUS etc, and will read all the reviews before making up my mind up.
Plus I like to keep an close eye on the failure rate and other reported issues, as the Turing launch was far from problem free.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I'm intrigued by the 3090 personally. Makes you wonder if there will be a 3080Ti as well as a new 3090Ti.

Just hope they pull out all of the stops with these ones, as they certainly didn't with Turing. I also hope that AMD launch their new monster cards at the same time though so that we're spoilt for choice.

Soldato

Lol you do talk a lot of nonsense.

Soldato
I'm intrigued by the 3090 personally. Makes you wonder if there will be a 3080Ti as well as a new 3090Ti.

Just hope they pull out all of the stops with these ones, as they certainly didn't with Turing. I also hope that AMD launch their new monster cards at the same time though so that we're spoilt for choice.
Current rumours and interpretations of AMD wording at investor conferences, has RDNA 2 graphics cards coming out before the consoles which are scheduled for Q4 2020 i believe.

Q3 2020 is going to be a glorious tech battle.

Back
Top Bottom