What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
In regards to It Follows, this has been brought up before by others and I admit, I thought the same when I watched it. But an AMA on reddit with the director sort of cleared things up

Short version

Hugh gets the curse, passes it to his girlfriend, she gets killed, curse reverts back to Hugh, this could have been across days/weeks and he's learnt about it

Longer version :)

https://movies.stackexchange.com/qu...known-the-rules-of-the-creature-in-it-follows

Hmm.. I don't like it. It shouldn't need an explanation outside of the film for this, it would have taken only a minute for the character to explain.

Man of Honour
@arc@css, @SixTwoSix and other members of ‘horror club’ - I did watch It Follows at the weekend but never got round to giving my thoughts.

I quite liked it! It reminded me of The Ring in that it sounds like such a stupid concept but it does manage to be quite creepy. I like how (little) it’s explained and it had a good dose of comic relief too with the strange friend who was always reading. I also like the set up and the ‘scooby doo gang’ feel.

Soundtrack was hit and miss as it now feels really heavily dated to the mid-2010s where everyone was really overdoing the 80s synth throwbacks - but I was surprised that it was appropriately creepy on occasion too.

I’m pretty sure the monster took the form of several people we saw in photographs, so that was neat.

There was one little thing that amused me...

It’s inferred that the girl swam to the boat to sleep with all of the men. But of course... she would have only passed it on to one of them, the first one she slept with, not all of them! :o

Not sure I feel inclined to watch it again as there wasn’t a huge payoff (anti-climactic maybe?) but it was an enjoyable journey :)

Soldato
@Nitefly glad you enjoyed it. As you say, there is a heavy 80's influence in there, however it was made just before we were utterly saturated with 80's revivalist media. :)

One element I like about it is the ambiguity of the time period, it's heavily 80's feel but they're using mobile phones that are late 90's.

As for the ending, I feel as though it works in that they are essentially just a bunch of kids doing what they think should work. There is no profound moment of realisation, just them trying to get through it the best they can and survive.

I think Maika Monroe is a great actress and I can highly recommend if you've not seen it to check out The Guest, a gem of a movie...bordering on horror but more a thriller. @arc@css Might be another for you to check out as well.

Oh and love the Horror Club btw :D

Man of Honour
@Nitefly glad you enjoyed it. As you say, there is a heavy 80's influence in there, however it was made just before we were utterly saturated with 80's revivalist media. :)

One element I like about it is the ambiguity of the time period, it's heavily 80's feel but they're using mobile phones that are late 90's.

As for the ending, I feel as though it works in that they are essentially just a bunch of kids doing what they think should work. There is no profound moment of realisation, just them trying to get through it the best they can and survive.

I think Maika Monroe is a great actress and I can highly recommend if you've not seen it to check out The Guest, a gem of a movie...bordering on horror but more a thriller. @arc@css Might be another for you to check out as well.

Oh and love the Horror Club btw :D
Yeah I think you’re right on all of that - it was at the very front of the synth phase and, on reflection, I do actually quite like the idea that It Follows is just a bit like life itself really... always out to get you... just got to keep moving and surviving!!

I’ll check out The Guest :)

Ha yes I like ‘Horror Club‘ too - I was contemplating creating a separate thread for our musings but I think it may just take away from this one and with our ramblings in here it gives others more incentive to chip in maybe... Not sure!

Permabanned
The simplicity of the ending is to it's strength in my opinion, it avoids Hollywood gung-ho guns blazing culminations and opts for a more soft ending which fits to the story and Kates journey.

You've also had a bit of mystery around the Sicario himself diminished by watching the sequel first (albeit accidentally) I feel. If you have a bit of time to kill...watch/read a few articles online about how Kate is actually the villain of the piece. :)

The cinematography is stunning...the scene where they descend into the mine is like something straight out of a chilling horror movie. The use of sound, especially when they cross over the border and return on the bridge unnerves me and makes me feel sick with anticipation, despite watching multiple times, again to the movies strength.

It does feature the holy trinity of director, cinematographer and composer...Denis Villeneuve, Roger Deakins and Jóhann Jóhannsson...shame we'll never see a collaboration like that again.

I really do like Sicario, I think it's a modern masterpiece, to me it's near perfect and it sits in my top 10 movies of all time, the sequel would just about scrape into a top 100 perhaps. The sequel while a decent stand alone movie doesn't add or improve anything on the first movie.

Have you watched the other movies in Taylor Sheridans Frontier trilogy...Hell Or High Water and Wind River?

Great post, agree with everything said!

I recently had a bit of a movie day with the lady friend and she asked me to pick 3 films that'd flow nicely.

Went with No Country for Old Men, Sicario and Wind River, none of which she'd ever seen. Don't want to brag, but I don't think I could have picked better. All flowed into each other perfectly with some really great themes that tie together.

I think No Country and Sicario are easily two of the best films of the last few decades.

Soldato
Went with No Country for Old Men, Sicario and Wind River, none of which she'd ever seen. Don't want to brag, but I don't think I could have picked better. All flowed into each other perfectly with some really great themes that tie together.

Funnily enough, No Country For Old Men popped up on my recommended for Netflix last night. Haven't seen it since release and really have the urge to watch again.

That is a fantastically strong set of movies to choose.

Have you seen Hell or High Water?

Permabanned
Funnily enough, No Country For Old Men popped up on my recommended for Netflix last night. Haven't seen it since release and really have the urge to watch again.

That is a fantastically strong set of movies to choose.

Have you seen Hell or High Water?

I have indeed! It's probably my least favourite of the trilogy, but it's still exceptional. Wind River and Sicario are just unbelievable films. Found it really difficult to watch the former again knowing full well what was coming. 'That scene' is so horrifically tense and hard to watch. Brilliant filmmaking.

Soldato
@DrToffnar I watched Wind River when my wife was away a few years back. She loves Sicario and Hell or High Water and really want her to watch Wind River, it's just 'that scene' which has me hesitating on a rewatch with her.

Permabanned
@DrToffnar I watched Wind River when my wife was away a few years back. She loves Sicario and Hell or High Water and really want her to watch Wind River, it's just 'that scene' which has me hesitating on a rewatch with her.

Yep, it really does make the skin crawl. She was ok with it in as much as she was able to sit through it, but it hit her a bit hard on reflection I think. It really is a truly awful scene. You know where it's going almost as soon as the door opens and the way it ratchets up the tension as the scene goes on is blleuuurghh.

Soldato
Hangover 3 - nothing special, a few laughs. 2/5

I did read that the three main cast demanded $15m each plus profit share and the absolute understanding that there would not be a fourth before they agreed to do it! It made money so hopefully they got some.

Caporegime
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

New Netflix/Will Ferrell film, so you know what to expect. Entertaining enough, with a few lols, and the finale song is actually really good imo, like, better than actual stuff being released in the charts good.

6/10

Soldato
Se7en - 5/10

I don't know if I was too tired for this or what. I know it's crazy I'd never seen it before*, I just never got round to it. I love Fincher's later work like The Social Network and Zodiac but found this very run-of-the-mill. Some of the script/dialogue was terrible :confused:

*If you think that's bad my girlfriend has never seen Fight Club :o

Soldato

New Netflix/Will Ferrell film, so you know what to expect. Entertaining enough, with a few lols, and the finale song is actually really good imo, like, better than actual stuff being released in the charts good.

6/10

Just watched this with the wife, it is total and complete eurovision, really turn to the concept, in all of its good and terrible awfulness.
Not a bad way to spend 2 hours on a wet afternoon.
We enjoyed it

Soldato

6/10
Going to watch this tonight with the wife.

Soldato
Se7en - 5/10

I don't know if I was too tired for this or what. I know it's crazy I'd never seen it before*, I just never got round to it. I love Fincher's later work like The Social Network and Zodiac but found this very run-of-the-mill. Some of the script/dialogue was terrible :confused:

I never understood the fuss about Se7en. I watched it when it came out, didn't really like it and will never watch it again. Highly overrated (IMHO).

Associate
The possession of Hannah Grace!!!!! I watched it tonight because of comments from this thread!!!!!

Total crap!!!! 2/10

Don't waste your time on the film, just watch the trailer.......job done!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom