**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
A look into where the rubber originates for the tyres we use. An eye opener into the sad state of affairs this industry and in general many industries value profits over humanity.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Interesting watch^ Thanks. They focus a lot with experts over re-treads, they certainly do suffer from an image problem as they mention yet are used extensively in haulage and aviation.

Perhaps these were not produced properly in years gone by? (I recall my father saying that they were common back in the 70s). You never see them now for passenger cars.

Caporegime
Interesting watch^ Thanks. They focus a lot with experts over re-treads, they certainly do suffer from an image problem as they mention yet are used extensively in haulage and aviation.

Perhaps these were not produced properly in years gone by? (I recall my father saying that they were common back in the 70s). You never see them now for passenger cars.
I’d imagine the ‘retread=bad!’ Message is pushed very heavily by the tyre manufacturers themselves, although maybe not directly.

Soldato
Bought my 2014 MK3 Focus 1.6 TDCI Titanium Navigator last autumn and haven't got round to upgrading the tyres yet. There appears to be two different brands of budgets at the front and back, although they still have loads of tread, I want to upgrade them to something decent. One set are called Aptany Harmonic or something like that so uber-cheap.

I was looking at UniRoyal RainExpert or RainSport which ever is available, but I've read some reports that they are not too good. So, what is the best to go for? Either way I want something that is A-rated for wet.

Underboss
Bought my 2014 MK3 Focus 1.6 TDCI Titanium Navigator last autumn and haven't got round to upgrading the tyres yet. There appears to be two different brands of budgets at the front and back, although they still have loads of tread, I want to upgrade them to something decent. One set are called Aptany Harmonic or something like that so uber-cheap.

I was looking at UniRoyal RainExpert or RainSport which ever is available, but I've read some reports that they are not too good. So, what is the best to go for? Either way I want something that is A-rated for wet.

Pilot sports

Soldato

Have you thought about All Seasons? I use https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Quatrac-Pro.htm on the GTi and they are really good in normal every day conditions with the added bonus of some winter ability.

Underboss
Have you thought about All Seasons? I use https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Quatrac-Pro.htm on the GTi and they are really good in normal every day conditions with the added bonus of some winter ability.

i didnt recommend them , due to him wanting more wet grip
ive used Pilot Sports and Cross climate + tyres (i now run cross climates all the time)

if his criteria was all year round, then yes Cross climates , depending on where he lives

i highly rate cross climates for winter over summer tyres, the amount of confidence it give you in the deep winter months is amazing

with summer tyres on (in frost/snow/ice conditions) my heart rates goes up 10 fold , and im scared to drive my car really lol

Soldato
i didnt recommend them , due to him wanting more wet grip
ive used Pilot Sports and Cross climate + tyres (i now run cross climates all the time)

if his criteria was all year round, then yes Cross climates , depending on where he lives

i highly rate cross climates for winter over summer tyres, the amount of confidence it give you in the deep winter months is amazing

with summer tyres on (in frost/snow/ice conditions) my heart rates goes up 10 fold , and im scared to drive my car really lol

Understood. I wasn't trying to "put down" your suggestion, apologies if it came across like that. Just wanted to throw in an alternate suggestion for consideration. The wet grip is good with the Quatrac Pro's so worth considering. Obviously they will never match an all out Summer. But in one of the reviews against the reference Summer tire, I think it was only 4m behind in wet stopping distance.

Yeah I hear ya - I've only had brief time on some slush / light snow with these All Seasons and they just give you no hassle. Never flickered. Passing cars who were struggling on their normal Summer tyres. lol.

PS. Also had PS4 on the Abarth 595 and they were a really good tyre. I just had to change the stock GTi tyre. It was some crappy Bridgestone Turanza (an early model). They were just dire in the wet.

Underboss
no not at all mate :) no need to apologise, i just didn't think of the cross climates for his situation as he never mentioned all year round, just "wet" conditions so he might be doing some homemade track day with a sprinkler system going lol

Soldato
I only mentioned wet as I had some crappy tyres on a 207 a couple of years ago that made me go round a roundabout side ways in a little bit of summer rain. My confidence of wet driving has been knocked ever since. What I think I really want in a good all season tyre.

Underboss
I was being persuaded to these but they don't seem to be available in my size - 215/55/R16

looking at Black Circles now in your size

and they do offer Cross Climates Plus, but dont offer Pilot Sport

if you need it all year round, and if your confidence is knocked from wet roads, you must be terrified in the winter months so i recommend these :

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-ADAC-Summer-Tyre-Test-185-65-R15.htm
https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/crossclimate-plus/215/55/R16/V/97/f?tyre=36107248

Soldato
And mediocre the rest of the year?

That's the problem, there doesn't seem to be a good all round tyre.

Folk say you need special winter tyres etc etc and when you watch some promo/review video, its of someone driving down a snow track in the middle if a forest in the coldest part of the world. Even in winter in the UK all the roads to work are gritted and clear of snow even on the snowiest day.

So at the end of the day I need good tyres for wet and cold, not necessarily for ploughing though 6 foot of snow.

Back
Top Bottom