1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Discussion in 'Motors' started by rossk26, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Gibbo

Commissario

Hi there

Just had new tyres fitted to the Honda S2000 replacing the new rear Toledo TL1000 budget tyres and near 10 year old Bridgestone tyres on the front. So, of course, anything would give an improvement as the car was understeering heavily.

It was a choice between PS4, F1AS5 and the CPC6, PS4 was dismissed due to supply issues and I just preferred F1AS5 plus it seemed to come out on top of equal in all reviews.
    Now I'd normally wait longer before posting a review of a tyre because of items like release agents coming out the tyre etc, three tyres are dated 2020 and one is 2019. I had XL versions fitted.

However, upon the first drive the following is immediately obvious with new tyres:
    - A slight ride improvement, the jiggles and jolts are still felt but they are more cushioned.
    - Car no longer understeers.
    - Car is stable at high speed the rear end no longer feels like it is collapsing in long sweeping high-speed bends.
    - Braking performance is in another league.
    - The tyres do not feel soft or spongy, nor do they feel firm, but steering response is spot on and the car has that cornering on rails feeling.
    - Outright grip is in another league in dry. Wet to be tested but the hype about F1AS5 is around its wet performance.

So improved ride quality, but more direct steering response, the car will turn into a corner or roundabout at too high a speed but it just does it and communicates brilliantly what is happening if it does push a little you have the option of applying more lock and the car responds to that. The high-speed sweeping corner issue where the real felt like it was collapsing has now gone, the car is perfectly stable and very confidence-inspiring. Braking is in another league, I was thinking about a brake upgrade but now those ideas are squished as it was simply down to rubbish tyres.

The worry over Goodyear was soft sidewalls, well I am getting no feeling of spongy tyres, it is dry and 16c today and on my short drive out the tyres heated up very well and become sticky so absolutely no fears of soft sidewalls it seems Goodyear have maybe mastered that whilst still maintaining ride quality but keeping sporty handling characteristics as well. The grip is simply staggering, an extra 10, maybe 20mph over the rubbish tyres and I even left TC enabled which use to be very intrusive on the front end due to understeer whereas now it is hardly interfering at all, once the release agent has gone I shall turn TC off but they feel incredibly grippy but also progressive, but that can be tested once warn in more.

Overall I have been a die-hard Michelin fan really since the SuperSport and stuck with them since, but I am glad I have tried the F1AS5 now and truly think it may actually be a better sporty tyre than the PS4, but do remember my car is around 1250kg and with myself and the Mrs in the car around 1400kg, but I am very impressed and highly recommend them. When it comes to changing Ferrari tyres I may give the new F1 Supersports a try over PS4S. :)

2. Gibbo

Commissario

3. kona786

Capodecina

A look into where the rubber originates for the tyres we use. An eye opener into the sad state of affairs this industry and in general many industries value profits over humanity.

4. Jez

Caporegime

Interesting watch^ Thanks. They focus a lot with experts over re-treads, they certainly do suffer from an image problem as they mention yet are used extensively in haulage and aviation.

Perhaps these were not produced properly in years gone by? (I recall my father saying that they were common back in the 70s). You never see them now for passenger cars.

5. MissChief

Capodecina

I’d imagine the ‘retread=bad!’ Message is pushed very heavily by the tyre manufacturers themselves, although maybe not directly.

6. Simon

Capodecina

Tyres have to be designed to be remoulded too. This will make the tyres heavier and noisier in passenger cars.

7. Havana_UK

Mobster

...and have knock-on inefficiency consequences too, at a time when vehicle manufacturers are doing everything they can to reduce weight and improve fuel efficiency.

8. LeeUK

Soldato

Bought my 2014 MK3 Focus 1.6 TDCI Titanium Navigator last autumn and haven't got round to upgrading the tyres yet. There appears to be two different brands of budgets at the front and back, although they still have loads of tread, I want to upgrade them to something decent. One set are called Aptany Harmonic or something like that so uber-cheap.

I was looking at UniRoyal RainExpert or RainSport which ever is available, but I've read some reports that they are not too good. So, what is the best to go for? Either way I want something that is A-rated for wet.

9. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

Pilot sports

10. Firegod

Sgarrista

Have you thought about All Seasons? I use https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Quatrac-Pro.htm on the GTi and they are really good in normal every day conditions with the added bonus of some winter ability.

11. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

i didnt recommend them , due to him wanting more wet grip
    ive used Pilot Sports and Cross climate + tyres (i now run cross climates all the time)

if his criteria was all year round, then yes Cross climates , depending on where he lives

i highly rate cross climates for winter over summer tyres, the amount of confidence it give you in the deep winter months is amazing

with summer tyres on (in frost/snow/ice conditions) my heart rates goes up 10 fold , and im scared to drive my car really lol

12. Firegod

Sgarrista

Understood. I wasn't trying to "put down" your suggestion, apologies if it came across like that. Just wanted to throw in an alternate suggestion for consideration. The wet grip is good with the Quatrac Pro's so worth considering. Obviously they will never match an all out Summer. But in one of the reviews against the reference Summer tire, I think it was only 4m behind in wet stopping distance.

Yeah I hear ya - I've only had brief time on some slush / light snow with these All Seasons and they just give you no hassle. Never flickered. Passing cars who were struggling on their normal Summer tyres. lol.

PS. Also had PS4 on the Abarth 595 and they were a really good tyre. I just had to change the stock GTi tyre. It was some crappy Bridgestone Turanza (an early model). They were just dire in the wet.

13. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

no not at all mate :) no need to apologise, i just didn't think of the cross climates for his situation as he never mentioned all year round, just "wet" conditions so he might be doing some homemade track day with a sprinkler system going lol

14. Firegod

Sgarrista

Hah I never thought of that. Quite possibly! :D

15. LeeUK

Soldato

I was being persuaded to these but they don't seem to be available in my size - 215/55/R16

16. LeeUK

Soldato

I only mentioned wet as I had some crappy tyres on a 207 a couple of years ago that made me go round a roundabout side ways in a little bit of summer rain. My confidence of wet driving has been knocked ever since. What I think I really want in a good all season tyre.

17. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

looking at Black Circles now in your size

and they do offer Cross Climates Plus, but dont offer Pilot Sport

if you need it all year round, and if your confidence is knocked from wet roads, you must be terrified in the winter months so i recommend these :

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-ADAC-Summer-Tyre-Test-185-65-R15.htm
    https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/crossclimate-plus/215/55/R16/V/97/f?tyre=36107248

18. LeeUK

Soldato

Thanks, might go for the CrosssClimate+ then.

19. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

Good choice
    Amazing in winter

20. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

And mediocre the rest of the year?