PC Half fixed - Whats my legal position?.

Soldato
OP
G73SW replacement screen is around £100 on ebay. Motherboard can be had for around £60.

Nearly every laptop I have repaired myself have been relatively easy to fix, and parts are often pretty easy to replace. More often than not the hardest part is getting into it in the first place as some require most of the thing to be in pieces before you can get to it's guts.

This is what your motherboard should look like if its rev 2.0, you can see the cmos battery on the left side.

wBeUblo.jpg

No, thats NOT ONE bit like my Motherboard.

As I said, the base system Is indeed a G73SW however while EVERYWHERE I looked said the CMOS at the bottom and the battery etc etc etc... Mine had no battery like this, and it had no way to reset the CMOS.

I did ask ASUS for a diagram and I looked for one elsewhere and I could NOT find one for my specific motherboard.

I can for this and yes I have seen that very board, but my board is NOT that one. My board does not even remotely look anything like that. Mine has 4 RAM slots, the SD Card reader comes out on the side on that one, mine comes out at the front. As I said previously, I can get bits for the G73SW easy as pie, but for some annoying reason, mine does NOT seem to be the standard.

I know cos I have been inside it more times than the wife.

And no, there is no battery like in the picture and so thats why I thought it could be an axial cap type but nothing was obvious.

Please believe me when Isay that I have tried... I would not have sent it off if I hadnt have tried.

As for the screens, I have bought one but it did NOT fit. it did not even remotely get even close to fitting.

At the time, the cheapest screen that WAS the same as mine, was £450

I have been looking since and I found a couple at just over £290 but the others ARE NOT THE SAME AS MINE WAS. Again, I bought one and its sat here doing nothing cos it does not fit in the case, even though its a G73SW screen.

Soldato
OP
See this is where you are going wrong, after that short a time you should be dealing with the retailer and not Seagate, the retailer will have to swap for new, Seagate wont as you don't have any contract with them over what they offer which is a repair or replacement.

Ok I should have made things clearer... I have stopped now, cos the wife has forced me to, but at the time, Iwas buying PCs parts left right and center, sometimes I would buy from 3 or 4 different supliers in the same day for bits that I simply changed my mind over and sometimes I would buy bits just for the hell of it... I went throug ha severely mental phaze and at one time I spend over £16000 in just two days.

That sounds a lot, and it absolutely is, but thats what I did.
It has stopped now.

I still own over a dozen PCs, 2 massive servers, and I could go on, but you already dont believe me, so I wont continue.

I will grant you that a few days is a bit iffy, but certainly, a few weeks or so. So, it was simply easier to go to the seagate site and check the warranty and do it that way, rather than go looking for what I bought and from where.

Once something is out of warranty, I fix it myself, if your that way inclined, otherwise imho its a complete waste of money to get someone else to do it unless of course it had good enough reason to warrant repair.

I had 3 laptops given to me by my brothers gf, they were knackered and needed repair (keyboards/screens/batteries) About £150 in parts and a couple hours and I had 3 working laptops which I sold for £450 a piece, they were nearly 3k each new.

Again, you are missing the point.

I have said in a previous post more than once, that I was tryign to fix it myself, but I seemed to somehow unlock some extra stuff in the BIOS that I have NEVER seen before.

Then the screen would simply keep going black until it completely locked me out.

I then looked for the info for the CMOS, found that this model usually has a small hole for the CMOS reset... Mine did not.
So, I opened mine up as I have done a hundred times, but now I took the Motherboard out completely and found no cmos battery and no obvious way to reset the CMOS. I contacted ASUS and I looked through google for any info on the board and what I did find was NOT what this board was.

I then started to question if it was a G73SW at all because everyhtin I was reading and getting was NOT about this board at all.

This was then, that I decided to ask ASUS if they would sort it for me.

They then sent it to those morons in kilbride or wherever they are located to fix it, when I never asked for ASus to do that, and its all gone down hill from then on!

Soldato
OP
For what it is worth, I used to own my own PC repairs business and I was very good at it.

However some years ago, I was involved in a massive accident that left me permanently disabled and mentally messed up.

After the accident, we had lost of problems as my money was in my bank and the wife was completely unable to get at any of my money and so while bills were still covered fine, we had no money for food and other basics and the bank were not helping because I was in a coma in Stoke while my wife was sstruggling not having access to my money and so she decided to sell the business to the guys I had taken on.

She was robbed might I add, but she was desperate. I dont blame her, imagine her fury at having thousands in your husbands bant and the bank not letting you get at it?

Anyway, she sold it and she got the money to her.

I have had to relearn a lot of things and I get very confused very easily, and I have little use of one hand.

Now, the accident was clearly not my fault and I got a nice payout. a ridiculously nice payout. I bought a new 5 bedroom 3 toilet house, with living room dining room lolunge and computer room, I own a harley trike and a boom trike and I have bought both my brother and sister a house each, paid off my parents mortgate and got my 3 kids through university and I have a very comfortable life now and never need to work again. But the price I am paying is that sometimes I wake up not knowing where I am and sometimes I forget what I am doing when I am in the middle of it.

My only loves are motorbikes, music, and computers, and sometimes I just forget what I am doing.

When I am on the ball, I am good, but that happens once of twice a week if I am lucky, the rest of the time I am as they say, winging it.

So yes, I know, or normally know exaclt what to do with computers, and I have repaired more laptops than I have eaten hot dinners, but sometimes I cannot get it right and so I sent this off in the hope that ASUS will be the best people to fix it. I only wanted them to clear the BIOS for me or tell me what the hell to do with it.

I never knew that they would send it off to some plonkers in a shop that would be holding my laptop hostage. Plus I like the laptop is comfortable and its never let me down. Its not my main laptop but its my main Linux Laptop.

So I know my mistakes.

Soldato
OP
Ok, well yesterday I got another email telling me that the machine is done and is going to the testing stage.

I replied to that with saying its not the first time they have said it and its not the second, third, fourth or fifth time either, however, I decided to not post it.

Anyway, possibly just as well, I have earlier today ( its gone midnight so I am a day out.. Earlier yesterday ) I got another email informing me that I will be getting it back on Monday the 29th by DPD and they provided me with a tracking number ( That I just realiosed I have not check it out - knowing how things have gone, that could be fake too ).

I await to find out if they have still used my motherboard, or they have swapped it and if its new or used?, same with the screen. its the original scren but its absolutely crystal clear and has no defects at all.

Considering they have in their own words SCRAPPED mine... it might be interesting to see if the serial numbers all match up!

Once its here, if its not working 100% perfectly, then I will be raising holy hell... If it is working 100% then I will be happier, but the dammage has been done now.

I will be opening it up and I wil be verifying what they have actually done and what parts are different, and either way, Asus will be gtting a seriously rotten Letter and the Morons at letmefleeceyou will have a nice colourful review thats for sure!

But anyway, I know I have just waffled and spewed my usual crud on here, but its been great, if only for venmting my frudtration and anger out I suppose!

Thanks for the support guys, I genuinely appreciate every bit of it.

Man of Honour
They sound a lot like SBE who Motorola use. They damaged my Moto360 watch when I sent it to get the cracked back replaced then wanted to charge me to get it back...
After much bitching, mainly to Motorola, they sent it back, thankfully re-assembled. Especially as one of the emails I sent asked them if it's going to be complete or just a bag of useless bits. And yeah, they made it worse. Was sent with just a crack in the back that was a known fault and they were repairing for free, ended up having dim lines across the screen and the battery life was down to a couple of hours.

Hope you a successful outcome.

Man of Honour
However some years ago, I was involved in a massive accident that left me permanently disabled and mentally messed up.

Now, the accident was clearly not my fault and I got a nice payout. a ridiculously nice payout. I bought a new 5 bedroom 3 toilet house, with living room dining room lolunge and computer room, I own a harley trike and a boom trike and I have bought both my brother and sister a house each, paid off my parents mortgate and got my 3 kids through university and I have a very comfortable life now and never need to work again. But the price I am paying is that sometimes I wake up not knowing where I am and sometimes I forget what I am doing when I am in the middle of it.

My only loves are motorbikes, music, and computers, and sometimes I just forget what I am doing.

That sounds eerily like someone I know they also have a big love of motorbikes - but their accident was in IIRC 1995 or somewhere around that and they were basically in a close to vegetative state for around a decade or so before making what is really a pretty miraculous recovery. Likewise they still have issues with their memory and sometimes will get confused with what town they are in and suddenly think the street they are on leads to somewhere else, etc.

Soldato

When I am on the ball, I am good, but that happens once of twice a week if I am lucky, the rest of the time I am as they say, winging it.

OP, if you've got money to blow I'd just dump this and lose the headache. Stress doesn't seem worth it.

Exactly what i was thinking. You seem to be VERY focused on this issue to the point it is causing you serious stress - recording conversations, lengthy, sometimes incoherent posts etc.

Options:

• Refund
  • Get it returned and repair it yourself
  • Stop bombarding the company with call/email and wait to see what they come back with?
  • Write it off and move on with your life
I hope you get this resolved, but this issue seems to be taking over your life and you are letting it negatively affect you.

Soldato
It does seem like a lot of stress and upset on what is really quite an old laptop that’s not really worth it. Treat yourself to a nice new one and never use this company again. Sometimes it’s just not worth the stress and agro...

Man of Honour
its always difficult when you get to this point - we bought a very expensive oil fired range recently and it literally blew up during installation due to a faulty burner, we gave them the best part of a month and 5 attempts to resolve it but in the end got a full refund including the installation costs. Wasn't a great outcome but just happy to have that damn thing gone & be back to where we started!

There is a point where the amount of time and mental effort into getting something sorted outweighs the end result and you just want it gone - sounds like your almost done though so hopefully it'll be back today in a working state :)

good luck!

Soldato
OP
You seem to be VERY focused on this issue to the point it is causing you serious stress - recording conversations, lengthy, sometimes incoherent posts etc.

Absolutely, but its part of my mental issues I think.

Options:
  • Refund
  • Get it returned and repair it yourself
  • Stop bombarding the company with call/email and wait to see what they come back with?
  • Write it off and move on with your life

The whole issue was when I tried to repair it myself.
Even though info on the web, clearly shows how to reset the CMOC though a hole in the bottom of the case... This case has no hole?
So I got the board out to get at the button manually? - No button?
So, take the Battery out for a bit ... No battery? - on either side of the board!

I contacted ASUS and asked or a wiring Diagram, or if they could just tell me how to reset the BIOS, but they said send it to us

So I did.

I never once thought that they would be sending it on to another third party!- Had I know that right from the start, I would Never have snet it or gone through ANY of this stupidity

I could write it off, absolutely I could, but be honest with yourself, would you, knowing that all it needed was the BIOS resetting, and you have spent hundreds on upgrading it and its cost you over £1500 in total.. No, you would try to get it fixed and thats all I did, but these scum held me to ransom.

Oh, and I never once bombarded them with a single thing. I did reply when they contacted me, but not once did I write an email that was not crystal clear, and to the point.

It was them that kept hassling me if anything!

I hope you get this resolved, but this issue seems to be taking over your life and you are letting it negatively affect you.

Oh I fully accept that it has affected me. But thankfully when Asus got the info I had, they clearly jumped in and sorted it out.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It does seem like a lot of stress and upset on what is really quite an old laptop that’s not really worth it. Treat yourself to a nice new one and never use this company again. Sometimes it’s just not worth the stress and agro...

Thats what the missus said.

I have half a dozen other Laptops here, 3 of them are vastly newer and better than this one, but thats not the point.

I dont like it when nasty companies like this lie like hell. I kept going because these dirty slimeballs need to know that thety cannot do what they do.

Plus... Im bored.

Soldato
OP
Ok I will give you one last final update on how things have gone.

Since I contacted Asus, and once I had told then that I have paid some money, they were clearly upset by this. They then contacted the shop and told them to get it done, and stop billing me.

So, since then, I have had no more bills.

A few days ago, I had an email teling me that DPD will be delivering it on Monday the 29th. Turns out that they picked it up from the shop on monday, I still had to wait till the next day.

Tuesday, I got the parcel and had a quick look, and a check up of it and I find a few things were niggling me. They did indeed wipe all 3 hard drives. Annoying, but its a Laptop that I take out with me and so its all backed up anyway, but the point being they wiped it all. I do wonder why the hell they would wipe all 3 drives? What do they truly need to do that for?

Anyway, the screen seem perfect, I cannot be arsed checking that, I am assuming that its my screen they put back, so another lie there.

The Motherboard however IS my motherboard. So again they charged me for a new board and yet here we are?

Anyway, its working now so I am now done with Asus and I will NEVER waste my time with those ever again.

Now on tuesday afternoon, I get a text telling me "AS REQUESTED, THE DELIVERY DATE HAS BEEN CHANGED TO THURSDAY THE 2ND"

I requested no such change of date, but as I have my laptop back, I ignored it.

Today DPD arrived to collect it.

Shafters!

I explained what was going on and the guy was clearly under the impression that I was messing him about, but hey ho!

-----

I will also give another point to also help show why I was so determined to get this sorted..
Another previous Laptop I have, I had a few issues about 2 weeks after owning it with the power button.
Over time it got worse and worse and a few times, I think 3 or 4, I contacted them to ask about it, but they said it is a design feature every time
Then after some time it failed complketely, and when I opened it up, I couls short the buttons wires and it would start up just fine.

I send that back and they said it was out of warranty and then they tried to say that the ywill have to send the board to the manufacturers and they then said that it will need a new board at £399.

now, I contacted the same place but through the web chat service and I said to the guy that I was told it was a design feature and he looked at the notes and it sais clearly that they told me on a few times that it was a design feaute and he said no it was not.

Turns out that they were luing to me right from the off, but the lad said that its not on and that he would help me.

a few days later I get a letter informing me that they appologise for the miscommunication and that my Laptop will arrive in the next few days.

It did, and it was brand new and ran a charm.

They obviousl; realized that the had bitten off too much.

And thirdly, I let me son use one of my old I7 laptops and he hjas dropped it and broken the corner, so I am sickened by that as he is denying it.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Never had an issue with ASUS tbh. I don’t get the hate, especially when every company will have a minority of disgruntled customers.

Nice resolution in the end, although if you’ve paid for a new motherboard and can prove it’s the same one, I’d be asking ASUS for a refund.

Soldato
OP
In honestly No, I have always been happy with Asus and Asus themselves are fine.
They did step in when I gave them the info on just what had been done to me, and it was sorted out.

I have to be honest there, but, these are the face of Asus and the treatment and lies that I have had from there, has completely turned me off them.

Reading about people that have had issues wit brand new products with these people are also a big factor and I am not willing to risk paying out a load of money unless I feel 100% confident that they will sort t hings out to their best ability.

Soldato
Asus might be an alright company but no way am I buying anything from them if these clowns are their service centre.

No one ever finds out this stuff until things go wrong hence why most people don't have negative experiences. You plug something in, it works, you're happy.

Man of Honour
The Motherboard however IS my motherboard. So again they charged me for a new board and yet here we are?

Anyway, its working now so I am now done with Asus and I will NEVER waste my time with those ever again.

I know you should probably walk away now, but i'd be very inclined to send a final e-mail to Asus asking them to investigate whats been actually done to repair this & what you've actually been charged for - put it in their court and ask for them to sort out a proper resolution - if they've been ok to talk to give them a chance to make it right especially if you have matching serial numbers with what you sent off.

Man of Honour
I'd be interested to see what happens if you drop a little Trustpilot review with a brief summary and a link to this thread. I've consistently found that nowadays customer services miraculously improves when it's in the public eye as opposed to behind closed doors.

Soldato
OP
Asus might be an alright company but no way am I buying anything from them if these clowns are their service centre.

No one ever finds out this stuff until things go wrong hence why most people don't have negative experiences. You plug something in, it works, you're happy.

Bingo!
I have had this laptop for years without a hitch and I love it. I have had better ( and worse ) come and go, but this has been riock solid from day 1
But then I try to fix it, and I get nothing but hitting brick alls and all I wanted to do was something as stupidly simple, as clear the BIOS.

I have bought plenty of ASUS stuff and 9 times out of 10 when it is out of warranty, I just get rid, but then again... I have a mate who has just had issues with his Threadripper Mobo and he has justy sent that off to get looked at ... It's only 4 months old and yet I have the same board.
I also have another Asus that I am using that works 100% great until you try using a faster GFX card in it ... Nvidia goes flickery and ATI just goes nutys and gives a green screen and makes a horrible whineing / buzzing sound, but it will run great for a random amount of time until that happens... What do I do there? I just accepted it and I{ use one of my old ATI 7770 cards and its flawless with that.

I know you should probably walk away now, but i'd be very inclined to send a final e-mail to Asus asking them to investigate whats been actually done to repair this & what you've actually been charged for - put it in their court and ask for them to sort out a proper resolution - if they've been ok to talk to give them a chance to make it right especially if you have matching serial numbers with what you sent off.

Already did that but I got nothing back. Im not chacing it up now though cos I got it back and I am just happy that I did.
Im looking at the fact that I have paid out £340 and there is simply no way that I would be able to buy a laptop this good at that price.
So, I am looking at the positives now, more than the negatives. ( At last )

I'd be interested to see what happens if you drop a little Trustpilot review with a brief summary and a link to this thread. I've consistently found that nowadays customer services miraculously improves when it's in the public eye as opposed to behind closed doors.

Ah, yes, I did do one, but removed it.

Now I have it back and its all finished with... I will do one.

It does have a 3 month warranty on their repairs, so I am half thinking... Is it worth all of this hassle again?
The plain and simple answer is, clearly that I now know that the waranty simply means Jax-hit, and if anything they will turn around and try telling me that the cause was simply XYZ when we know for a fact, and after all the argueing, that it was ABC as I told them right from the start, but they will no doubt hold the laptop hostage until I pay for something they inevitably wont fix either... Again.

So, no, I wont bother wasting my time with these bozos again, I have learned my lesson both from personal experience, and from other horrors stories both on here ( Thansk guys ) and from other places that 1have had horror stories about Asus repairs, and so I wont feel at all guilty about speaking my mind.

Soldato
While I understand that it has been a laborious path but I certainly would not be happy in the slightest if it was my original motherboard after I had paid for a new/replacement one. If you have proof then I would certainly take it up with trading standards again as that is blatantly theft.

Back
Top Bottom