The **Now Eating** Thread

Associate
So instead of Burger & Lobster I do Ramen & Burger? :p

Tasty bits of bacon and burger (of the bean variety if you're being good) floating in a lovely cheesy broth. With added bacon bits and chives on top.

People may mock for being fusion or too fancy for Hereford, but let them mock, for this time next year Raymond Trotter....

Caporegime
Tasty bits of bacon and burger (of the bean variety if you're being good) floating in a lovely cheesy broth. With added bacon bits and chives on top.

People may mock for being fusion or too fancy for Hereford, but let them mock, for this time next year Raymond Trotter....

lol, I won’t do that kind of fusion, it’s going to be authentic if I do it. (as authentic as a British Chinese trying to make American and Japanese food!). It will also have a really limited menu.

2 kinds of ramen. Pork or miso (for the V) & 1 kind of burger, but you can have single or double patty, with or without it cheese.

Caporegime
lol, I won’t do that kind of fusion, it’s going to be authentic if I do it. (as authentic as a British Chinese trying to make American and Japanese food!). It will also have a really limited menu.

2 kinds of ramen. Pork or miso (for the V) & 1 kind of burger, but you can have single or double patty, with or without it cheese.
There’s rumours of a Wagamama opening up near me. What’s their ramen like, is it decent or a poor imitation of the real thing?

Associate
Ok

OK at least can we agree on complimentary broth shots and we can move this project forward :p

Caporegime
There’s rumours of a Wagamama opening up near me. What’s their ramen like, is it decent or a poor imitation of the real thing?

If you’ve never been to Japan...it’s okay. If you have, then it’s crap. It doesn’t taste bad, it doesn’t taste of anything. The broth has no flavour even when I ask for rich. The meat is dry and they pile on some raw water cress of sorts on top and thinks that’s nice with ramen? It doesn’t really go.

That said, I’ve only had ramen there once since I went to Japan the first time, because I was missing ramen and I haven’t been back since. There is one near me too...I only go there for the squid and the chicken Katsu curry which they do it wrong (backwards), the chicken should sit on the rice, not the other way round.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@robfosters

Found a photo of the last bowl of Ramen I had in Wagamama. I think this is their signature one or something?

b6FYF8m.jpg

It just looks like a mess, look how dry that piece of chicken is, the pork at the top looks burnt and see what I mean about all that watercress or something?

A side point, that wooden spoon, is crap. I think I only ever seen it use in 1 place in Japan and it took a while. Almost every ramen place use a regular spoon, a modern design one. Those wooden one is cool but not ergonomic.

A few pieces of meat, 1 egg, bit of veg. Remember, the soul of the ramen is the broth. Before I eat anything I take a sip of the broth. Actually there is a famous ramen shop (it has no name, has a blur bucket hung outside, if it's not there, its not open, if the chef didn't like the batch of broth he makes that day, he won't open shop). Anyway, they have a 3 step instruction (or must follow rules) inside and step 1 is sip the broth, then eat a bit of noodles, and then you can add some condiments. He want you to taste what he works so hard for, and not to muddle it up with something else. If you tried it and still prefer to add hot oil or something, that's fine, but give it a shot first.

ghCoPbq.jpg

This is the shop.

http://www.ramenadventures.com/2016/11/genki-ippai-in-fukuoka.html

Soldato
qFvlac0.png

Steak and potatoes.

I've been eating a predominately vegan diet recently, as the girlfriend is vegan. However, I saw your post this and it made me want a steak and as she's gone away for a few days I thought I'd have one. So this is my first steak this year, can't actually remember the last time I had one.

Sirloin with Chimichurri and double cooked chips.

Salted the steak liberally 30 minutes before cooking, then fried on a dry frying pan without any oil for 4 minutes flipping every 30 seconds (butter thrown in for final 1 minute). Rested for 5 minutes.

IztUTVhh.jpg

Soldato
Looks great, I love chimmichurri.

We make it at work for finishing plates and on our grilled lamb, we also grill the chillis and spring onions we add to give a bit of smokyness before.

That looks amazing, but I'm more interested in the cooking of the potatoes! What are they and how did you do them?

They're just bog standard baby potatoes from Lidl. Cut up and steamed until tender, seasoned with seasalt and pepper then roasted at high heat with a little veg oil and 5-6 garlic cloves. Oil was preheated on a burner before adding the spuds.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks great, I love chimmichurri.

We make it at work for finishing plates and on our grilled lamb, we also grill the chillis and spring onions we add to give a bit of smokyness before.

They're just bog standard baby potatoes from Lidl. Cut up and steamed until tender, seasoned with seasalt and pepper then roasted at high heat with a little veg oil and 5-6 garlic cloves. Oil was preheated on a burner before adding the spuds.
Thanks for that, simple but sounds good!

Soldato
6h7fII.jpg

Decided to get the 8 piece boneless feast again from KFC. The mash is still off the menu, but they added southern rice back on, plus I got the side salad, which is really nice. Has a tasty dressing. Gravy was a no brainer. For the last side I didn't want fries, coleslaw or corn cobs, so I went with beans for the heck of it. More than half the tub went in the bin, but everything else was gooood :D

Back
Top Bottom