When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
If you look into this though — if you do 10,000 miles a year, this will cost about £1500 in fuel in a diesel and about £200 in an EV. That’s £108/month difference which can be put towards the higher cost of buying/hiring/leasing an EV.

E.g If it’s £400/month to lease a 330d and £500/month to lease a Model 3, the actual cost works out about the same.

Once more people start leasing and PCP’ing EV’s, this will bring 2/3 year old used models which will hopefully then build a good used market.

The main issue is there’s only really the Tesla M3 that’s a viable alternative to the 3 Series / A4 / C class right now. We need more options!
Polestar is coming through now.

Soldato
If you look into this though — if you do 10,000 miles a year, this will cost about £1500 in fuel in a diesel and about £200 in an EV. That’s £108/month difference which can be put towards the higher cost of buying/hiring/leasing an EV.

E.g If it’s £400/month to lease a 330d and £500/month to lease a Model 3, the actual cost works out about the same.

Once more people start leasing and PCP’ing EV’s, this will bring 2/3 year old used models which will hopefully then build a good used market.

The main issue is there’s only really the Tesla M3 that’s a viable alternative to the 3 Series / A4 / C class right now. We need more options!

I totally get it and I’ve done the maths and factor in total cost of ownership. The problem is that the price differential between PCPing a 3 series or equivalent is significantly more than £100 a month fuel saving vs a Tesla.

It all comes about from the reality which is no one pays RRP for an ICE but because of the back log on most decent EVs (e.g. Nero, Kona) and Tesla’s direct sales model lots of people are having to pay RRP for an EV. I can’t imagine anyone getting a ‘discount’ on a Polestar anytime soon, there’s a reason why it’s priced as it is ;)

The point about (particularly) the van market is that the vehicles just aren’t there and the regulations are not taking manufacturers down that path very quickly at all.

I’m well aware of arrival but until they are actually producing vehicles, they are kind of academic.

If you look at the actual behaviour of the mainstream manufacturers, you’ll see they are slowly turning on the tap to meet EU fleet emission regulations to avoid the huge fines. If they were actually making an effort to decarbonise their products the van market would be mostly electric by now.

Soldato
The British company ARRIVAL are doing some great work in the van/lorry/bus space - this video is well worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I781itRPJH8

UPS have just ordered 10,000 vans from them. The money this will save them will be amazing - and I’d chose them over a competitor now because they are making this step in the right direction. Nothing worse that diesel vans driving around urban and residential areas stopping every few hundred yards!

British Gas have ordered 1,000 Vivaro-e, which looks like a great entrant to the sector. I believe a good chunk of the orders will be delivered this year as well. Things are starting to move quickly. :)

I'm not sure how quickly a new start-up will be able to ramp up production, but I'd imagine those 10,000 vans might take 10 years to come through.

All good though. :)

Associate
Just checked some lease costs out of interest:

BMW 330d Msport - cheapest lease I can find is £25,413.84 for 48 months (https://www.cars2buy.co.uk/personal-car-leasing/deal/2fe211017eb871a985c0ef28c27a3520b176d3bc)
(does not include many of the options which are standard on the Tesla but ignore that)

Tesla Model 3 SR+ - cheapest lease I can find is £25,314.16 for 48 months (https://www.cars2buy.co.uk/personal-car-leasing/deal/6337360500ae073e7912a9240573b84074a11099)

I was going to suggest the fuel saving would cover the difference but the 330d is actually a bit more expensive to start off with. Over 40,000 miles the Tesla would save you about £4000 in fuel (if you can charge mainly at home). You'd also pay nothing for servicing/brakes etc.. so that's at least another £500-£1000 depending on usage.

So in the region of £5k saved over 4 years, not to mention the evnrionmental benefits of saving many tonnes of CO2.

This isn't a mega-scientific example but I think it shows that the fossil fuel option isn't by default cheaper if you're buying new.

If buying nearly new with a personal loan (as I have historically done) then it needs another year or two for more used electric options.

Note: I'd probably try to buy the Tesla outright rather than pay £25k to rent one for 4 years as I think it's residual would be pretty good - but won't go into that here

Last edited:
Soldato
Just checked some lease costs out of interest:

BMW 330d Msport - cheapest lease I can find is £25,413.84 for 48 months (https://www.cars2buy.co.uk/personal-car-leasing/deal/2fe211017eb871a985c0ef28c27a3520b176d3bc)
(does not include many of the options which are standard on the Tesla but ignore that)

Tesla Model 3 SR+ - cheapest lease I can find is £25,314.16 for 48 months (https://www.cars2buy.co.uk/personal-car-leasing/deal/6337360500ae073e7912a9240573b84074a11099)

I was going to suggest the fuel saving would cover the difference but the 330d is actually a bit more expensive to start off with. Over 40,000 miles the Tesla would save you about £4000 in fuel (if you can charge mainly at home). You'd also pay nothing for servicing/brakes etc.. so that's at least another £500-£1000 depending on usage.

So in the region of £5k saved over 4 years, not to mention the evnrionmental benefits of saving many tonnes of CO2.

This isn't a mega-scientific example but I think it shows that the fossil fuel option isn't by default cheaper if you're buying new.

If buying nearly new with a personal loan (as I have historically done) then it needs another year or two for more used electric options.

Note: I'd probably try to buy the Tesla outright rather than pay £25k to rent one for 4 years as I think it's residual would be pretty good - but won't go into that here
You would be comparing with the 330i though surely?

Soldato
The old Zoe’s and Leafs are not great compared to their newer models. The car itself is fine, but the drivetrain is not very capable. That said I still wouldn’t buy a new Leaf.

Toyota hybrids hold their value very well and always have, on top of being very reliable they are often the car of choice now the ULEZ is a thing. You can’t turn a corner in London without seeing one these days.

Soldato
No, I’m just saying I wouldn’t buy one because of the capabilities of the drive train and it wouldn’t meet my needs (e.g. range).

The old Zoe also has an odd rapid charging solution which isn’t available everywhere, if it even has it (it was an option).

I also don’t trust the Leaf because of a lack of proper thermal management. That may not turn out to be a problem on the newer cars but there is enough evidence out there that it is on older 24/30 cars. With any leaf you’d need to take car and make sure you don’t buy one with a well used battery. You can check the battery health that with a code reader and the leaf spy app very easily.

I’d happily daily a new Zoe with CCS, it’s a decent car. I’d still avoid the leaf because it’s now the only car which has chademo and no thermal management. Even the new Nissans coming out are going CCS.

Soldato
In my view the PHEV evoque is now the pick of the range.
neighbour, a few down, just got a xc40 t5 phev plugin hybrid (replacing a mercE as mercenary diagnosed) - haven't seen if they've plugged it in
... but has style/infotainment/comfort versus evoque .. but maybe the ( passé no ?) evoques much cheaper.

Is 330d/i the typical car Model3 users coming from ? -M3/evs are taking some market not just from premium, but other segments too, and, with the BIK present,
(could be saving ~2K..£4kp/a on £40k car depending on tax bracket) that catchment area is larger too, so someone, previously in a company mondeo could be buying in too.

[
Polestar 2 IVI - intel h/w collaboration, apollo lake inside, https://blogs.intel.com/iot/2019/05/07/polestar2/, rather than arm.
interesting paper on Android automotive penetration testing https://www.cse.chalmers.se/~andrei/vehits19.pdf , some interesting ideas on malware - soundblaster.

where did m3 thread go ? Tesla Model 3 Prepares to Receive the Heat Pump and Unifies the Battery Design with the Model Y
)

Back
Top Bottom