Massive blast in Beirut

Soldato
Sky have an aerial shot of the area.

It looks like the grain silos did explode, but the big concrete structure into which they were built may have reflected that part of the blast away from the city.

Caporegime
Those grain silos must be incredible strong to withstand that blast! But yeah, it looks like they will have shielded a good chunk of the city from the blast.

Capodecina
Soldato
Those grain silos must be incredible strong to withstand that blast! But yeah, it looks like they will have shielded a good chunk of the city from the blast.

So the grain stores didn't contribute to the blast?

Absolute carnage, **** poor from those involved in the storage process but most peoples hands will have been tied so it should go right to the very top.

Couldn't come at a worse time with the economic collapse, not to mention COVID. It's the government who's to blame, and very soon I wouldn't be surprised if the country goes into political meltdown and revolution, it was on the brink anyway.

Caporegime
So the grain stores didn't contribute to the blast?

It doesnt look that way. You can see all the grain spilled out on the floor and the only damage is the side facing the blast. If the grain stores had exploded you would have expected the blast to have gone out in all directions????

Don
Those grain silos look like they exploded rather than were crushed.
No they don't, one side has been destroyed by the warehouse explosion and there's a massive pile of grain slumped out into the crater.

If anything it shows how well those silos are engineered for grain dust explosions to still be partially standing after 2-3 kt of explosives was detonated 50m from it.

Dust explosion:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-53279080

Soldato
No they don't, one side has been destroyed by the warehouse explosion and there's a massive pile of grain slumped out into the crater.

The grain being slumped is not particularly relevant: not all the grain takes part in the explosion, only the grain dust in the atmosphere.

Man of Honour
Soldato
No, according to Orica who manufacture Nitroprill HD (bags in pictures carry this name) it is 15% equivalent to TNT, so 2750T x 0.15 = ~400T.

:edit: yeah I thought I'd seen it in here:

Worth clarifying, as per that tweet I quoted, Orica produce Nitropril, Nitroprill HD is being assumed to be equivalent but doesn't appear to be their specific product.

All of this working on the assumption the original photo is legit but i'd guess if it was an old photo someone would have found it posted elsewhere by now.

Man of Honour
Worth clarifying, as per that tweet I quoted, Orica produce Nitropril, Nitroprill HD is being assumed to be equivalent but doesn't appear to be their specific product.

All of this working on the assumption the original photo is legit but i'd guess if it was an old photo someone would have found it posted elsewhere by now.

Ah yes, I had glossed over that as I expected if it was going to change things I'd guesstimated it would likely only be by around 10% at the absolute max.

Soldato
Those grain silos look like they exploded rather than were crushed.
Eeo0sSKU4AAhXvz

Back
Top Bottom