Exhaust banging on modified cars - whats the point?

Soldato
Fake?

My TT burbles on overrun, none of the sound it makes is faked in any way.

It's fake because it's deliberately mapped in. Just like pops and bangs the OP is moaning about.

The ECU deliberately sends extra unburnt fuel into the exhaust to get the effect. It is entirely cosmetic on road cars.

Soldato
Same goes with ridiculous dump valves too.

I'll allow it on rally cars as it serves a functional purpose.

Dump valves do actually serve a purpose on a road car too, although I'll admit, a recirc valve would do the same job and make relatively little noise.

Soldato
Mine hasn’t been mapped to burble, it massively predates that kind of stuff!

No, it hasn’t.

Yes it has, by Audi.

My M240i also does it. I'm not deluded enough to think it's not fake. It's why it can largely be switched off on demand by changing away from Sport(+) mode without affecting performance.

Caporegime
Who wants pops and bangs when you can have BOOMS.:p

Hilarious. What a pair of wallys. He's ruined that car with that map.
Really dislike LLF stuff. Bloke likes to think he's a lot better than he is. Most of the stuff I've seen is cringeworthy.

Have to agree. The guy doesn't know his arse from his elbow and seems to think he should have an opinion on other peoples cars.

He asks some mind bendingly stupid questions at times...

"So its a V8 is it?" -obvious really loud V8 noises-

Last edited:
Soldato
No, it hasn’t. No manufacturer was playing this game in 2004. The noises this car makes are a byproduct of the engine, intake and exhaust, not software.

A burble on overrun happens because extra fuel is injected into cylinder. Guess who decides if that happens or not. There is practically no reason to do this other than for the side effects.

Caporegime
A burble happens because extra fuel is injected into cylinder. Guess who decides if that happens or not.

Just gonna hop in here and say that my 1990 E30 325i pops and burbles on the overrun under certain conditions. :D

That absolutely was not "mapped in" by BMW in the 1980's. It only has a very basic computer and primitive fuel injection.

Caporegime
A burble happens because extra fuel is injected into cylinder. Guess who decides if that happens or not. There is practically no reason to do this other than for the side effects.
Alternatively it happens as a byproduct of forcing the car into overrun after being heavy on the throttle. This happens on carburettors as well as electronic fuel injection.

Soldato
Just gonna hop in here and say that my 1990 E30 325i pops and burbles on the overrun under certain condition, and that absolutely was not "mapped in" by BMW in the 1980's. It only has a very basic computer and primitive fuel injection.

Even when not deliberate it can happen in some conditions. But if you can do it on demand driving at 20mph, there is only one reason it is happening.

Soldato
There's OEM, there's upgraded and then there's VAG turbo diesel sounding like it's on its way out

Ohhh, you mean that stupid 'woooooooo' noise modded TDs make? Yeah, I don't like that either!

Edit... WTF. I'm not going to edit that. Apparently 'T D s' is a sweary?

Caporegime
Even when not deliberate it can happen in some conditions. But if you can do it on demand driving at 20mph, there is only one reason it is happening.
For the record I can pretty consistently make the car do it, but it’s certainly not at 20mph, nor is it simply a case of letting off the throttle regardless of what was happening beforehand.

Caporegime
Ohhh, you mean that stupid 'woooooooo' noise modded ***an acronym I know that I shouldn't be posting*** make? Yeah, I don't like that either!

Edit... WTF. I'm not going to edit that. Apparently 'T D s' is a sweary?

Testing:

TDs

Interesting... No idea what thats meant to mean... What about:

BMW 525 TDS

Oh, old diesel BMW's don't exist anymore according to OcUK.

Paging @Gibbo whats this ill thought out nonsense please? :p

Is it something to do with Trumpton?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really true still. Both my E30 and my Mk2 Golf (standard engines) would pop on overrun, nothing to do with maps or anything like that and as @paradigm can do with his Audi, I could make them pop pretty consistently if I so wished (which was rare).

E: Modern cars (last couple of years) do have it mapped in my the manufacturer and plenty of people think it's "cool" so have it mapped in to their cars also. But for most cars over 10 years (maybe even over 5) it's usually possible to make it happen but not something that has been put into the car.

Caporegime
Maybe OcUK is playing it's part in slowing global warming by stopping people talking about turbo diesels.

I doubt it, have you seen the things people drive over in the Motors section? We are doing our part to accelerate it! :p

... E30 ... I could make them pop pretty consistently if I so wished (which was rare).

Just geeeeently bump the ball of your foot on the accelerator periodically during the overrun, amirite? :p

Soldato
Not really true still. Both my E30 and my Mk2 Golf (standard engines) would pop on overrun, nothing to do with maps or anything like that and as @paradigm can do with his Audi, I could make them pop pretty consistently if I so wished (which was rare).

But there is no performance purpose for it (at least which I've heard given). If BMW wanted I'm sure they could prevent it from happening.

I guess we're gonna get stuck on semantics here, on what deliberate means.

Also just seeing Acme's post above, I guess if you are deliberately pressing the gas pedal on overrun without the fuel getting burnt then that is more about what the driver is doing.

Back
Top Bottom