Cities: Skylines

Soldato
I'm struggling to play this at 1440p.

No matter what I set my resolution to, the game seems to stay at what I think is 1080p. Absolutly nothing changes. Anyone able to help?

Associate
I'm also on a Sandbridge CPU all be it the i7 version but yes, I am also well overdue.

I'm not planning a big city, I'm more of a detailer and the next project will definitely go small and detailed, I made a Las Vegas themed city last time (not a copy) but in my PC it became unplayable, that city wasn't even that big either.

I'm tempted to go UK themed, there are a lot of good UK style assets on the workshop, possible a costal town but I won't copy anything directly, just take inspiration from Google maps etc.

UK coastal town, you could have like a pleasure beach section, docks, then industry section. Holiday caravan parks, some cliffs, a beach, main line train station, all nice detail but not too big.

Sounds great. That does appeal to me over typical US 'blocks' type cities. I'm picturing Devon/Cornwall type towns (but with a metro between them of course :D spending money where it just wouldn't be worth it in real life)

Associate
I'm struggling to play this at 1440p.

No matter what I set my resolution to, the game seems to stay at what I think is 1080p. Absolutly nothing changes. Anyone able to help?
I play at 1440p. I find getting the dynamic resolution mod I linked before and upping the slider up really helps.

The post process/AA in the base game isnt great, but with the mod its stunning!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds great. That does appeal to me over typical US 'blocks' type cities. I'm picturing Devon/Cornwall type towns (but with a metro between them of course :D spending money where it just wouldn't be worth it in real life)

It's really quite a challenge doing it, I dabbled a bit of my Vegas style city.

Thing is most American cities are built in blocks and straight lines, this not only makes it easier for a city building game and also I'm assuming American developers are gearing everything on that basis.

Most UK towns baring maybe Milton Keynes (and let's face it, who would want to recreate a virtual version of that) are a lot more organic. Problem is the game isn't geared up for that and the thing that will happen is you'll get lots of awkward looking flat green gaps between everything that will look awful.

One advantage of doing a desert based city is open areas of flat desert between the gaps doesn't look so bad. Basically why I did that one first, make flat desert, get the biggest brush, plop an assortment of desert plants on, then basically that looks great and build on from there.

On a UK based town basically put bushes and trees which if you look on any map is a pretty accurate representation of real life anyway, but it does mean sitting there plopping lots of trees and bushes.

More work definitely, hence keep it small.

Associate
It's really quite a challenge doing it, I dabbled a bit of my Vegas style city.

Thing is most American cities are built in blocks and straight lines, this not only makes it easier for a city building game and also I'm assuming American developers are gearing everything on that basis.

Most UK towns baring maybe Milton Keynes (and let's face it, who would want to recreate a virtual version of that) are a lot more organic. Problem is the game isn't geared up for that and the thing that will happen is you'll get lots of awkward looking flat green gaps between everything that will look awful.

One advantage of doing a desert based city is open areas of flat desert between the gaps doesn't look so bad. Basically why I did that one first, make flat desert, get the biggest brush, plop an assortment of desert plants on, then basically that looks great and build on from there.

On a UK based town basically put bushes and trees which if you look on any map is a pretty accurate representation of real life anyway, but it does mean sitting there plopping lots of trees and bushes.

More work definitely, hence keep it small.

Yeah I do remember seeing your desert map in here actually, might flick back through and take a look.

It would be good if you could pick a theme for the terrain which would dynamically set things like hedgerows and fields around your buildings in a UK style map. That way you wouldn't have to meticulously go through and fill in the flat green spaces.

It always surprised me how much of the UK is covered in fields when seen from above. Would be good to have that as a starting point for a map.

Associate
Yeah I do remember seeing your desert map in here actually, might flick back through and take a look.

It would be good if you could pick a theme for the terrain which would dynamically set things like hedgerows and fields around your buildings in a UK style map. That way you wouldn't have to meticulously go through and fill in the flat green spaces.

It always surprised me how much of the UK is covered in fields when seen from above. Would be good to have that as a starting point for a map.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431174019

that is exactly why I went with this copper creek map!

Soldato
Think I've found the limit to my 3x3 map without mods. Population hit 330k, suddenly had a huge influx of deaths, stock movement gone and a mass exodus. Population plummeted by 80k and a demand for housing peaked. I've re-zoned more housing in land I was going to use for other purposes and the population still continues to drop. Something has changed in the game dynamics since I played it a couple of months ago and it's killed off my city.

Associate
trans.gif

Hopefully this helps!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timboh's Second Cloverstack Interchange (w/ central reservation ramps)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timboh's Clovermill Interchange

CSL Map View

Improved Public Transport 2

Advanced Incineration Plant

Large Advanced Incineration Plant

16MW Waste to Energy Incinerator

Skip Intro

Empty It!

Mini FPS Booster

Clouds & Fog Toggler

Extra Landscaping Tools

Cross The Line

Roundabout Builder

Tree Brush

Zoom It!

Loading Screen Mod

81 Tiles (Fixed for 1.2+)

First Person Camera: Updated

Sharp Textures

Vanilla Lake - Updated 2019

Copper Creek

Navilla

Dynamic Resolution (Fixed for 1.9!)

Move It

Prop Snapping

Prop & Tree Anarchy

Prop Precision

Automatic Bulldoze v3

Highway Intersection O1

Broken Trumpet Interchange

Timboh's Cloverstack Interchange

Timboh's Stack Interchange

Timboh's Pentagon Interchange

Network Extensions 2 (Updated for Sunset Harbor)

Real Neutral LUT - for Relight, Daylight Classic and Vanilla

Achieve It!

TM:pE V11 STABLE (Traffic Manager: President Edition)

Village Collection House 4

McDonald's - Props

UK Industrial - Warehouse #1

KFC

Shopping Center Parking Lot Props

Square Handicap Parking Decal

Decal Prop Fix

Curb Props 2

Roof Light

McDonald's restaurant

HVACR systems pack

Air ducts 3

Air ducts 1

Man of Honour
I did kind of think i was answering my own question there, but just wondered.
it also depends on your processor too. CSL doesn't do multithreading very well (only uses up to 8 threads)
so a slow processor won't help matters - single core speed is more important than core count for CSL

Associate
it also depends on your processor too. CSL doesn't do multithreading very well (only uses up to 8 threads)
so a slow processor won't help matters - single core speed is more important than core count for CSL

I have a Ryzen 3600 at 4.2ghz, hoping thats enough as the only real upgrade until 4000 series is cores not IPC.

latest V of my city, more robust rail network and 225k people
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZCjqnt9OCMN_qQxnpr_74enYUE_Wnh1k/view?usp=sharing

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom