• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Man of Honour
That's nonsense in my experience. AMD's driver software has been outright better than Nvidia's for quite some time, with a lot more features built into it. GeForce Experience as a positive? Not in this universe. AMD also offer integer scaling, image sharpening, a Shadowplay equivalent, built-in overclocking tools, performance metrics, an overlay, etc. They did let themselves down with the Navi driver bugs, but in general their driver support has been very good.

That's positive then, do the driver bugs still exist or are they gone too now? I'm all for going back to AMD if things have been ironed out since I last had one. It's just AMD offered no suitable competition for what I was after this time round on previous gen.

Soldato
Its a shame that some of the AIB cards are so far in excess of the launch pricing for the 3080. £650 is the launch price. £750 is 15% higher that is quite a lot at this price point.

Why would I buy an AIB over the £650 founders assuming it cools ok and is quiet?

Associate
2080ti as low as £560 'buy it now' on the bay.

:D

Yeah but which well informed PC owner will pay that price? Plenty of" know nowts" about... But even they read the news eventually.. Expect the price to drop further, rather quickly as sellers, start competing to sell their card ahead of each other.

Seen cheaper £500 with best offer... Will drop further.

Caporegime
Its a shame that some of the AIB cards are so far in excess of the launch pricing for the 3080. £650 is the launch price. £750 is 15% higher that is quite a lot at this price point.

Why would I buy an AIB over the £650 founders assuming it cools ok and is quiet?
Is the only place to buy the FE's usually from Nvidia themselves, or do some stores also stock them?

Associate
I love reading post slike this based only on brand loyalty and dreams. To think AMd are going to "blow Nvidia out of the water" is an exercise in delusion. The best they can likely hope to do is provide performance in the same ball park at similar or cheaper price-points. If AMD had an Ampere-killer we would have seen controlled leaks before the Ampere launch in order to disrupt it. Their silence is not a good sign.

Saying that, I DO hope that AMD provide something competitive in the 3080 class and below... but considering this release has very strong price/performance then they are realistically going to be very hard-pressed.
Kopite says AMD have a 'very strong' card with big Navi. That doesn't sound like a 3080 to me, his reference to Hawaii and Tahiti is another suggestion AMD really can compete at the very top as both those GPUs were hugely disruptive to Nvidia's ludicrous
pricing. OK blowing Nvidia out of the water may be a bit strong BUT level pegging with probably inferior RT seems entirely plausible. If it wasn't for those 'leaks' and hints and the fact that kopite called Ampere correctly I'd be as dubious as you.

Associate

I kind of like the founders variant more, still have to wait to see how it will compare with AIB cards... meanwhile I will go cry some with my 2080 ti lightning z

Soldato
I think reviewers only got the drivers a couple of days ago to stop leaks.

Well, unless they're doing a really good fibbing job, it doesn't look like any of the big Youtube sites like LTT, GN or HU even have the physical cards yet.

Given the Digital Foundry analysis is showing 80% rasterisation performance increase (Not RT/ DLSS) From 2080-3080 / I am inclined to believe him.

And bear in mind that the 2080Ti wasn't exactly a massive leap forward from Pascal in raw raster performance anyway.

Does anyone rate MSI cards? Because for me this is the best looker and a decent price.

Don't rate the company any more so the cards are kind of irrelevant to me.

Soldato
Probably because EVGA sell direct from their own website.
They sell cards through several other UK PC parts retailers though. Even the tax dodgers stock their cards.

That's positive then, do the driver bugs still exist or are they gone too now? I'm all for going back to AMD if things have been ironed out since I last had one.
Navi had some widespread issues that dragged on for months after launch, though not everybody experienced them, which was even more odd. They did eventually get on top of it though. Other than that their driver support has been solid for years, ever since they ditched Catalyst Control Center and their other legacy software.

Soldato
This is what worries me and is pushing me down option 2 (im upgrading form 1080ti). Its not the money so much but the faff of selling and the risk of getting burnt on the bay or something like that. Need to get an extra 500 posts in there to get to the MM:cool:

Only hope is that big navi smashes it and the 3080 ti gets released as a counter in the next few months.

Im curious how come you want to upgrade from a 1080Ti; is it to have RTX and play at higher resolutions with better FPS?

Soldato
Ok so here's my thinking...

Currently using a 1080Ti and looking at the 3080 with interest but concerned about a 3080Ti down the road.

Am thinking if I can grab a 3080 FE for £649 then I'll do that and be fully prepared to upgrade to a 3080Ti later. FE cards generally hold their value better than third party ones.

If I can't get an FE card then I might just sit tight for now and wait until next year for a 3080Ti. My card isn't exactly struggling right now, at least not until Cyberpunk shows up and beats it with the ugly stick!

Does this makes sense?

Back
Top Bottom