Is anyone else done wearing jeans in public?

Man of Honour
I hate skin tight jeans (and skin tight clothes in general) - it's just so hard to find jeans that fit and don't feel they're cutting off the blood supply, or that don't have a waist that could fit 3 people in.

Permabanned
I hate skin tight jeans (and skin tight clothes in general) - it's just so hard to find jeans that fit and don't feel they're cutting off the blood supply, or that don't have a waist that could fit 3 people in.

Zara 'jeans' are pretty good for this, but then you are built like an ancient oak tree. I say 'jeans' because they're more like elasticated leggings with a denim pattern. :p

Man of Honour
I feel the same actually about jogger shorts. I much prefer the look of any other short, but none I have found are as comfy.

I remember a thread here not to long ago where someone was after shorts that had a zip, elastic waist and looked some what formal. Still hoping someone posts something in that thread.
I haven't tried them myself but I've heard Billabong Crossfires recommended a few times on travel sites. Apparently they are stretchy swimming shorts that look semi-formal and even have belt loops. They are designed as a hybrid short for surfing and then going to the bar afterwards.

https://www.surfdome.com/Billabong-...i-honFhhCVL7Jji9ZMnRgxSALMdBvhYIaAmU4EALw_wcB

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/p...-zwoidH1lf20nB_ySVb68n5hz-kVRRxgaAh6OEALw_wcB

Man of Honour
Been wearing tracky bottoms for years.

I had a plaintive phone call from my 13 y.o. granddaughter, complaining bitterly that her dad, or YOUR son, as she contemptuously dismissed him, had made her look like a dork, would I please chastise him?
It materialised that she had arranged to go to the library, to study some school project with a 13 y.o. male classmate and had asked her dad to let the kid wait in their house, if he arrived before she was back from shopping with her mother.
My son had told the kid that he’d got the wrong address, no Francesca lived there.
When I queried this with my son, he said that the boy had turned up wearing a New York Mets T shirt and ball cap, perfectly acceptable to anyone, but that he was wearing tracky bottoms.
My kid said, “Let’s be fair dad, I wasn’t going to let my daughter be seen in the street with someone wearing those, that’s social ignominy equivalent to being seen buying The Sun.”
I felt that I couldn’t argue against that, so I told my granddaughter that in this case, dad knew best.

Man of Honour
although that does seem to be a good shout, i forgot to add i want them to be shorter shorts. not a fan when they are so close to the knee. need to be about 2 inchs shorter.

more like this in length

https://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-2-stripe-woven-shorts-mens-432026#colcode=43202603
It's a good point and a reason why I've not yet tried them.

But if everything else about them is right then I guess an option would be to take them to a tailor to reduce the length. I doubt it would cost too much to cut them and hem them. It would also remove the logo at the bottom, so making them look even less informal. It's cheaper to just find the right shorts in the first place. But I'm considering doing it. I've been looking for a couple of pairs of such hybrid shorts so I can reduce the amount of clothes I take on holiday with me next year (COVID allowing). I'm aiming to travel with only a 30L backpack so finding clothes that have multi uses is important.

Man of Honour
I had a plaintive phone call from my 13 y.o. granddaughter, complaining bitterly that her dad, or YOUR son, as she contemptuously dismissed him, had made her look like a dork, would I please chastise him?
It materialised that she had arranged to go to the library, to study some school project with a 13 y.o. male classmate and had asked her dad to let the kid wait in their house, if he arrived before she was back from shopping with her mother.
My son had told the kid that he’d got the wrong address, no Francesca lived there.
When I queried this with my son, he said that the boy had turned up wearing a New York Mets T shirt and ball cap, perfectly acceptable to anyone, but that he was wearing tracky bottoms.
My kid said, “Let’s be fair dad, I wasn’t going to let my daughter be seen in the street with someone wearing those, that’s social ignominy equivalent to being seen buying The Sun.”
I felt that I couldn’t argue against that, so I told my granddaughter that in this case, dad knew best.
Actually I think they also sell shorter variants judging by the "Mid shorts" in the name:

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Billabong-Crossfire+Mid+Shorts-603471/?colid=dark+military

Soldato
Jeans got a lot more comfortable since they introduced some elastane in them so don't see a reason to stop wearing them.

Plus the alternative is to look like a chav in trackies ;)

Man of Honour
Zara 'jeans' are pretty good for this, but then you are built like an ancient oak tree. I say 'jeans' because they're more like elasticated leggings with a denim pattern. :p
haha ancient being the right word.

I just can't find standard jeans that don't look ridiculous or are too uncomfortable to wear.

I've taken to wearing chinos / slacks which I find more enjoyable. But I must say for the past 6 months I've been living in shorts pretty much! :D

Soldato
Tbh I've not worn jeans in years. One day I realised other than how they look there is no other benefit to them. They aren't warm yet can be heavy, they aren't comfy, getting the right fit can be difficult so often requires a belt, doesn't have zip pockets.

I have joggers which I make look good on my butt, are comfy, cost £8, have zipped pockets and are warm.

I some times have felt out of place in them but generally if you have a good butt I find that no one complains.
Sounds like you've given up tbh

Soldato
Since lockdown I’ve virtually lived in jeans, one week a pair of Wranglers, then a pair of Lee jeans.
Wash, rinse, dry and repeat, every day fresh boxers and a fresh shirt, every other day a fresh T-shirt. shave when the grizzle gets too noticeable, brush teeth a minimum of twice per day, shower in the a.m. and p.m., and anytime that I feel bored, get back in the shower.
If I could drink coffee in the shower, I’d be in there all day, I’m so clean that I squeak.
I don't know why but every time I see your username/posts I picture Leon the Professional, I now believe that you look just like him

Soldato
I don't know why but every time I see your username/posts I picture Leon the Professional, I now believe that you look just like him

Love that movie. Gotta watch it tonight now :D

On topic, I hate jeans. I really like chino's but I still find myself in jeans. I've gone for slim fit on my last two pairs, regrettably. They do have a stretch to them though so they are comfy at least, just look like a girl.

Back
Top Bottom