• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Associate
With the Xbox All Access is it possible to pay it off whenever you want or are you tied to the 2-year monthly payments?

Had my heart set on a PS5 at launch and then the XSX next year but the All Access has swayed me to getting both when they're released.

Soldato
Regarding the Series S - I'm starting to wonder a few things...

Are we going to see every "next gen" game be defined by the fact that it has got to run on the Series S? Well I suppose the answer to that is yes.
But what I really mean is, are we going to see every game using the S as a baseline, and then for the X and PS5 they just get a resolution bump to 4k/60fps?

If that is indeed the case then I can't imagine games will look significantly better then this current gen, or am I just being a bit of a pessimist?

Because honestly I'd just prefer better visuals and 1440p. I can barely tell the difference between 4k and 1440p on my 55inch tele. The difference is there sure, but it's not mind blowing.
Answer is no. The cakes will just automatically scale down with power available. Assets will be appropriate for the version it’s running. They both have the same cpu and storage speed. Think the cpu differs by a few hundred MHz, but that’s it.

Answer is no. The cakes will just automatically scale down with power available. Assets will be appropriate for the version it’s running. They both have the same cpu and storage speed. Think the cpu differs by a few hundred MHz, but that’s it.

I agree, but that being said, if the Series S becomes incredibly popular, potentially more so than the Series X then I wouldn't rule out developers optimising games towards the Series S over the Series X.

Associate
But I don't WANT scaled down cakes :(

Edit: I WILL be getting the Series S though, in all seriousness. Unless the early adopters find some issues, I can't see anything dissuading me from that path.

Then what you really want is a GPU in a PC powered by a space-x PSU :p

With similar hardware between both consoles we hopefully should get pretty well optimised games for both systems.

Though i'm eagerly awaiting the YT testers. The X's disc drive inclusion at the £450 price is what sways me away from the S. Am going to cash in my old console today due to these insane low prices for new hardware.

Soldato
Hopefully they'll get the scaling right to ensure smooth gameplay. I was playing Gears 5 on my one x last night and that was slowing down in places and I'm only on a 1080p screen.

Going to return it and get a Series S instead, wont be getting a 4k tv for a while as we dont have the space for a bigger screen.

Associate
Then what you really want is a GPU in a PC powered by a space-x PSU :p

With similar hardware between both consoles we hopefully should get pretty well optimised games for both systems.

Though i'm eagerly awaiting the YT testers. The X's disc drive inclusion at the £450 price is what sways me away from the S. Am going to cash in my old console today due to these insane low prices for new hardware.

Heh! :D

Yeah, similar here in that I'm waiting for a few reviews before diving in, but I'm not sure I'll be waiting VERY long... Excited!

Thats never going to happen. Easier to create a fame at max and then scale back for other versions.

I agree but I don't think we will ever know 100% behind the scenes if developers are limiting the capability of the Series X slightly to benefit the Series S, I'm not talking developing for it specifically, of course scaling down makes sense, but I believe depending on the popularity of the Series S that ceiling on the Series X might be lowered a little.

Last edited:
Soldato
They'll be closer than ever. Same cpu just a touch slower, same gpu tech just scaled down. 33% the speed, 25% the resolution (at 1080p anyway). this is far closer in design than the one s and one x (remember the one/one S had that weird split memory system than the one X did away with?). This bodes well for the series S :)

With the new Series consoles, it really should be a case of designing a game for the flagship models and reducing the resolution and texture detail for the lesser consoles and that's it. I'm really not worries at all that one will suffer because the other exists.

Caporegime
OP
I think the second most exciting thing I've read (after the SSD tech being first) is the support for Dolby Vision.

From what I can gather, TVs with Dolby Vision don't require any adjustments whatsoever when playing back Dolby Vision media. No sliders for colour, brightness, HDR, gamma, etc. It just works the same on any TV that is certified for it. That is mega.

They'll be closer than ever. Same cpu just a touch slower, same gpu tech just scaled down. 33% the speed, 25% the resolution (at 1080p anyway). this is far closer in design than the one s and one x (remember the one/one S had that weird split memory system than the one X did away with?). This bodes well for the series S :)

With the new Series consoles, it really should be a case of designing a game for the flagship models and reducing the resolution and texture detail for the lesser consoles and that's it. I'm really not worries at all that one will suffer because the other exists.

I hope that is the case, I know that DF said the games will likely be more CPU dependant this gen, being that they both have the same CPU bar a few megahertz it might be achievable, MS could've pulled a blinder here, I had absolutely no interest in owning an Xbox console but if they can hit 1440p I'll definitely be grabbing one, especially with the all access deal.

Associate
Hopefully they'll get the scaling right to ensure smooth gameplay. I was playing Gears 5 on my one x last night and that was slowing down in places and I'm only on a 1080p screen.

Going to return it and get a Series S instead, wont be getting a 4k tv for a while as we dont have the space for a bigger screen.
I'm pretty sure the launch video showed the Series S playing Gears 5 at 1440p@120fps (could have been 1080p@120fps), which I thought was pretty impressive!

Soldato
I agree but I don't think we will ever know 100% behind the scenes if developers are limiting the capability of the Series X slightly to benefit the Series S, I'm not talking developing for it specifically, of course scaling down makes sense, but I believe depending on the popularity of the Series S that ceiling on the Series X might be lowered a little.

I'm not sure "limiting" is the right word.

There's likely to be a big focus on 4K60 with Series X, in part because they plan to use reductions in resolution and frame rate to get the games running on Series S with minimal hassle. But I wouldn't say this is a "limiting" approach. Just different. They already started down this road with One X, and it worked out well.

PS5 will likely follow in the footsteps of PS4 and PS4 Pro, varying resolution and frame rate on a per-game basis, based on what the developers consider optimal for that title. So you could be playing Fortnite at 4K60 one moment, and then Uncharted 5 at 1440p30 the next. Odds-on, this will deliver more graphically advanced exclusives, but (obviously) at the cost of resolution and frame rate. Is this better? Or just a different approach?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to wait on Digital Foundry analyses etc until purchasing

Siding on a Series X atm though

The memory seems a bit odd on the Series S ok you can say lower 1440p assets but it's a lot of throughput of data going around at 1440p/60 ?

2 gig of the 10gb is at less than 60mbit/s from specs ? (Less than a One S ?)

Caporegime
OP
I'm going to wait on Digital Foundry analyses etc until purchasing

Siding on a Series X atm though

The memory seems a bit odd on the Series S ok you can say lower 1440p assets but it's a lot of throughput of data going around at 1440p/60 ?

2 gig of the 10gb is at less than 60mbit/s from specs ? (Less than a One S ?)

I wouldn't worry about it. The capabilities have already been demonstrated running Gears 5 multiplayer at 120fps.

There's a lot of crap going round on Twitter now from people who don't even have developer kits of the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom