• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Argghh, bent CPU pins on 3900x

Caporegime
OP
I am guessing he forget to pull the lever down to lock the cpu and through brute force the cpu came off the socket.

No, it was locked in

I was installing the wrath cooler and it needed slight re-adjustment and when I pulled it back, the pre-installed thermal paste/grease on the bottom of the wrath heatsink was like glue and yanked the CPU out.

The locking pin on the motherboard is still down even though the CPU came out

Soldato
No, it was locked in

I was installing the wrath cooler and it needed slight re-adjustment and when I pulled it back, the pre-installed thermal paste/grease on the bottom of the wrath heatsink was like glue and yanked the CPU out.

Interesting. Have you got another cpu to test the board with? That kind of force would have caused damaged to the socket.

Man of Honour

You are not alome, i did exactly the same thing with my 3900X and X570 mobo.

The paste on the Wraith cooler is stupid strong, far stronger than i imagined and i removed the cooler and out popped the cpu from a locked socket stuck to the bottom of the cooler.

Luckily no damage, but its easily done

Associate
Had my brother call me in a panic not long back having bent some pins on his 3700x, 20+ pins in various places (think they tried to install it at the wrong orientation)
I used a Stanley blade, mechanical pencil and micro tweezers, I also have a very cheap usb microscope I used to get in close to check the alignment of the pins in each direction.
In total it took me 2 hours to complete but slotted straight in to the board with no resistance.
Infact he owes me a few beers for that:D

Associate
To the people suggesting RMA, he physically damaged the product, there is no warranty for that.

Also there's the potential for it still not working even after you've straightened them.

Caporegime
OP
I do understand that, but really that's generally what I do when removing a CPU that's been installed a while (I successfully removed it from my motherboard with no issues)

I just didn't realise it would stick like that so quickly when installing it over the top in the new motherboard - This was the Wrath cooler from the AMD box that had never been used before.

Man of Honour
To the people suggesting RMA, he physically damaged the product, there is no warranty for that.

Also there's the potential for it still not working even after you've straightened them.

Given that one of the people suggesting RMA works for AMD I think he will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom