• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Soldato
The blokes running a business and communicates pretty much daily on here, give the lad a break.

I've already said I'm more than happy with Gibbos responses, I'm sure he's doesn't mind me "pulling his leg" abit, I don't get the impression he's thinned skinned ;)

I've also said I've been happy with ScottiB input as well, again kudos there.

8Pack, meh!

Associate
I never knew there was such a thing as grey stock so thanks for explaining. Certainly goes some way to explain why prices here are usually higher and makes sense. The intrigue is now on who are these grey suppliers? Almost sounds dodgy but I assume its not and is just an alternative operating platform.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
One additional thing that Gibbo hasn't mentioned which explains some part of the price differences between launch and, for example, six months down the line, is transport. (because it's often commented on that the cards will be 'cheaper in a few months')

These GPUs will have been flown from AMD to the partners and then flown to the EU distribution hubs, and then, quite often for the UK on major launches, flown here. This is a massive cost in the grand scheme of things, especially at the moment with so few commercial flights to piggy bag on, and those costs are all passed on.

Eventually, when the demand on supply reaches a point where cards aren't required to go from factory to customer in the space under two weeks, shipping containers will be popped on boats and from the hubs, they go on trucks. This can mean a saving of up to $60 per card to the end user.

Last edited:
Associate
That's a sign of a good company that does their best for the customer, obs they need to make a profit, they have staff to pay, operating costs. A premium price to reflect grey stock purchases at a lose is not a bad thing and only benefits the customer in the end. If your new website gonna be hosted on AWS, that would be a good investment.

OcUK Staff
OP
One additional thing that Gibbo hasn't mentioned which explains some of the price differences between launch and, for example, six months down the line, is transport.
These GPUs will have been flown from AMD to the partners and then flown to the distribution hubs, and then, quite often for the UK on major launches, flown here. This is a massive cost in the grand scheme of things, especially at the moment with so few commercial flights to piggy bag on, and those costs is all passed on.

Eventually, when the demand on supply reaches a point where cards aren't required to go from factory to customer in the space under two weeks, shipping containers on popped on boats and from the hubs, they go on trucks. This can mean a saving of up to $60 per card to the end user.

This is absolutely spot on and very true as when the 3080 launched I have detailed discussions with some board partners like Zotac, Gigabyte and Palit who were paying additional transport cost to express air freight product to get it here quicker and they even openly said they were losing money on every single card due to these inflated shipping cost as they had nowhere near enough margin in the product at MSRP to cover even shipping cost. MSRP's just recently have being way to aggressive from manufacturers to put it simply and that is why the MSRP's are lasting in some cases for minutes or none existent.

OcUK Staff
OP
That's a sign of a good company that does their best for the customer, obs they need to make a profit, they have staff to pay, operating costs. A premium price to reflect grey stock purchases at a lose is not a bad thing and only benefits the customer in the end. If your new website gonna be hosted on AWS, that would be a good investment.

The company is having a major over haul system wise, but unlike what some members think here we can't launch a new platform, then modify that platform to suit all our needs, then link that platform to work perfectly with every department and then train all our staff on that platform in 5 minutes, its a huge take and takes a solid year plus and were certainly not gonna try to do anything drastic during our busiest time of year.

I know everybody wants their shiny new toy yesterday, I am exactly the same I am very impatient but we all really have to learn patience is absolutely needed in the year 2020, its a really tough year, people have lost family, online demand is through the roof and resources are being pushed to the maximum so people just have to understand things can't happen overnight but everyone is giving 110% to do the best they can at OcUK and everywhere else.

Just like the vaccine for Covid, it can't be available to all tomorrow, the roll out normally takes years, even with governments worldwide doing what they can and vaccine companies working 24/7 it still takes months, this is far from OcUK's business model but my point is people have really got to have patience in these times and also remember a graphics card purchase is not a matter of life and death.

Associate
So it’s shipping cost now not currency price fluctuations.

Still amazes me how consoles are immune to all these excess costs.

Consoles are sold at a loss by Sony and Microsoft and priced so that retailers can make a reasonable margin because the more consoles are sold, the more they'll make on service subscriptions and game sales. Towards the end of the consoles life Sony and MS may make a little bit on each unit sale as production costs decrease. Not comparable to GPU's or other PC hardware as there is no service / game sales side.

OcUK Staff
OP
Consoles are sold at a loss by Sony and Microsoft and priced so that retailers can make a reasonable margin because the more consoles are sold, the more they'll make on service subscriptions and game sales. Towards the end of the consoles life Sony and MS may make a little bit on each unit sale as production costs decrease. Not comparable to GPU's or other PC hardware as there is no service / game sales side.

Exactly this!
It is why smaller resellers do not sell the product because they cannot buy it for less than high street in the trade.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Still amazes me how consoles are immune to all these excess costs.
Consoles are generally loss leaders, built and sold in their many millions, based on contract pricing with lead times that enable them to be shipped by sea.

Comparing that to a graphics card which the manufacturers probably received a couple of weeks before launch in quantities measured in the thousand for the entire global market is frankly ridiculous and displays a complete lack of understanding for the retail industry.

Permabanned
That doesn’t stop retailers from slapping an extra £50 on here and there. They will still sell many times over but for some reason they are either unwilling or being specifically told not too. Why would Sony or Microsoft specifically tell retailers not to inflate prices when it wouldn’t matter because they will still sell all they can make regardless.

Why are Sony and Microsoft doing things properly yet pc tech are struggling. Why aren’t nvidia and Amd telling retailers to stop profiteering it’s not doing anyone any good it’s just annoying people. I tell you if my nephew wasn’t looking to have his first pc I would have gone consoles no questions asked.

Associate
My brother was lucky enough to get one of the 6800XTs on Wednesday, it was delivered today - except it wasn't as DPD delivered a Christmas tree instead........the cynic in me is thinking that someone at DPD has done this on purpose, just trying to get DPD to sort it out now but have been waiting 3 hours already for a callback.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Why would Sony or Microsoft specifically tell retailers not to inflate prices when it wouldn’t matter because they will still sell all they can make regardless.
Because it's highly illegal for any company to do that. The fines are insane because they are based on a large percentage of annual global turnover.

Some companies risk a slap on the wrist by "implying" that straying from MSRP will jeopardise future supply and when like Apple/Sony/Microsoft etc have exclusivity of their reseller's most popular products it's a lot easier to apply said pressure.

Again, you are showing an incredible level of naivety here.

To give you some sort of idea. Hypothetically of course, if Microsoft were found guilty of price fixing their fine, for each proven instance, could be in the region of £15bn

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a question for the more mature members here, this is absolutely critical wrt future performance and pc upgrades..........how do I get the 6800 thats arriving tomorrow (hopefully) past the wife? If she sees it, life in this house will change beyond measure and recognition and I'll probably spend the rest of the year in the naughty book!

Suggestions GRATEFULLY accepted!:)

Back
Top Bottom