OcUK Hivemind, am I in the wrong?

Caporegime
OP
Has your mum expressly said she doesn't want your partner's parents to come? Or have you made that determination yourself?

If the former then you are on solid ground, you can't really compromise with your mum being comfortable or not in her own home.

If it's the latter then I see why you are coming in for flak.

I'd have them both round here so that's not the issue. We could easily accommodate everyone. I've not mentioned it to my mum as simply put i know and understand her problems and if I put this on her she'd likely suffer an anxiety attack.

Associate
Logically, you're in the right and the brother is at fault.

Realistically, you're in the wrong because your missus has decided that she wants her parents to be over for Christmas Dinner and neither logic, nor who is at fault, is important.

Can you ask your Dad about it, to save your Mum's anxiety yet get another perspective on the matter?

Soldato
I think her brother is the one at fault in this scenario.

Yes, he is at fault but that's irrelevant. The issue is that your partner's parents are going to be alone at Chrismas and this important to your partner. You need to accommodate both your mother and your partner. So you go to one on Christmas Eve and the other on Christmas Day.

Man of Honour
Change the format so there is as little in the way of meal awkwardness as possible - maybe not ideal if some have a romantic vision of a proper Christmas dinner, etc. but for instance in the past when we've had mixed family/friends we've done an early Christmas dinner for some family then had a big buffet type meal late afternoon when everyone is over, etc. also with regard to activities and so on to try and avoid as much social awkwardness as possible - not so easy with the current circumstances but we've done stuff in the past were some people went for a walk for a good chunk of the day to make it easier on people who struggle socially.

Caporegime
Not a good idea if you want the relationship to continue.
Well if the relationship was so fragile that going their separate ways on Christmas would be terminal, it wouldn't be such a huge loss :p

e: For one year (assuming the brother doesn't decide to be a splitter permanently!)

Soldato
We alternate with Christmas day and boxing day, so we'd be with her parents for boxing day.
If you saw her parents on Boxing Day, after they'd seen her brother and you'd seen your mum on Christmas day then you'd be breaking the '3 households' bubble anyway... So probably lucky he cancelled!

Soldato
Given how I’ve seen you tell people to get on with/get over things on here I’m surprised you haven’t told your mum to get over her anxiety :o

Man of Honour
Why don't you just eat your partner's brother and family Christmas dinner?

I actually thought that the opening speil was some sort of puzzle - I'm a bit simple :o

Back
Top Bottom