Do you talk to yourself?

Soldato
I'm obviously not alone here as a couple of friends have said they do the same, but others think I'm losing the plot.

When I'm confronted with a difficult problem, I tend to talk it out to myself and rationalise what's happening in order to figure out a solution. I just can't do it in my head. Obviously this happens at work and some colleagues think I'm nuts.

I'm also a very visual person and prefer diagrams/pictures over verbose documentation so maybe that's something to do with it (although oddly, documentation is one of my strengths).

Is talking to yourself really the first sign of madness and the onset of dementia or is it just being special? :)

Soldato
Yes all the time.

I wouldn't do it if anyone else is around though - you know... just in case I get sent off to the people in white coats.

Man of Honour
We had a workman in to do some stuff recently - would talk himself through the process out loud and refer to himself in the 3rd person.

Personally the only time I talk to myself so to speak is when I do something silly like say trying to put a bottle of milk back in another appliance or cupboard instead of the fridge when not paying attention then chastising myself out loud for being silly for some reason - never talk to myself otherwise.

Man of Honour
Used to have a woman at work who would talk out loud about everything she was doing.

' Right, finished that, now onto typing this quote ' repeat for the next 8 hours like a running bloody commentary.

Drove me nuts.

Caporegime
I'm obviously not alone here as a couple of friends have said they do the same, but others think I'm losing the plot.

When I'm confronted with a difficult problem, I tend to talk it out to myself and rationalise what's happening in order to figure out a solution. I just can't do it in my head. Obviously this happens at work and some colleagues think I'm nuts.

I'm also a very visual person and prefer diagrams/pictures over verbose documentation so maybe that's something to do with it (although oddly, documentation is one of my strengths).

Is talking to yourself really the first sign of madness and the onset of dementia or is it just being special? :)

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

Man of Honour
All the time.
I talk to myself about threads I want to start on OCUK or I want to reply in and work out how to say it.
In fact I talk to myself about everything and it 's something I worry about as I get older in case I become one of those old people you see walking down the street talking to themselves.

Soldato

Think that question gets answered in this video.

Wow I find it really hard to understand how a person could comprehend something without an internal dialogue. Clearly she does and her visual techniques work but I've always had that internal conversation going on inside when I'm trying to understand something and the way it allows me to break a problem down is such an useful part of how I think.

It's odd really how we just assume everyone thinks the same way and yes I know I've just done that right now :p

Transmission breaker
Don
I talk out work problems a lot whilst I am working on them. Usually just to clear up the narrative in my head, which usually is racing ahead of my physical actions.

Not loud or anything, just sort of under my breath, as I keep myself on task :)

Back
Top Bottom