• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So did Nvidia screw everyone over with the MSRP of the 3080?

Associate
I remember it being like £650, however they no longer make the FE screwing the consumer over since no one but scalpers got them. Now we have to buy the other manufacturer versions, though they said it's impossible to make money at that low price, so all the cards seem to be £150-200 more expensive even at retail stores. AMD came in and had to launch the 6800XT at a low price to be competitive, but now they're having the exact same problem....

Wouldn't it have been better to price it at a realistic price? Which would still be way more powerful than the £1400 2080ti. Cause all that happens now is the real price will stay higher months and months after they're reliably in stock, and Nvidia has just ****** everyone off.

Meanwhile as a consumer waiting to be able to build a new PC, I'm stuck without one... for how long? Cause if Nvidia won't make the FE again, I'm not paying £200 extra over what they suggested. Nvidia shot themselves in the foot all round....

Associate
The RRP for the FE was £649. It sold for that on the nvidia website.

The AIB's start at around £720 and go up from there depending on brand, cooling and OC level.

Anyone buying these cards for over £800 are either stupid or don't care about throwing their money away.

Man of Honour
The RRP for the FE was £699. It sold for that on the nvidia website.

The AIB's start at around £720 and go up from there depending on brand, cooling and OC level.

Anyone buying these cards for over £800 are either stupid or don't care about throwing their money away.

£649 not £699

And some the AIB versions were originally £649 here on launch day.

Soldato
The RRP is actually £649, I know because that's what they charged me. They didn't all go to scalpers, and I would counter that scalpers aren't just in the form of the eBay variety, which explains the high AIB prices the OP is complaining about.

Nvidia haven't screwed anyone over, you're just salty at missing out on a very popular product. Plus, they haven't stopped making them.

Soldato
The MSRP is a scam, no doubt, but I don't think it will affect Nvidia's reputation in the slightest, and certainly not their bottom line negatively (quite the contrary). At the end of the day it's a very popular card & I don't see that changing even if price effectively becomes £800. In fact I think there's more of a chance that the pricing for these cards will be more competitive throughout 2021 than for AMD's equivalents, as Nvidia has Samsung all to themselves.

Associate
The MSRP is a scam, no doubt, but I don't think it will affect Nvidia's reputation in the slightest, and certainly not their bottom line negatively (quite the contrary). At the end of the day it's a very popular card & I don't see that changing even if price effectively becomes £800. In fact I think there's more of a chance that the pricing for these cards will be more competitive throughout 2021 than for AMD's equivalents, as Nvidia has Samsung all to themselves.

It's not really a scam, I blame the retailers as it's them that's putting the prices up, not nVidia...

Associate
Don't think this is true, 3080 FE's haven't been sold anywhere for ages.
It most certainly is but you’ve got to be super quick, some dropped last week. I obviously can’t give you the details here. It get yourself signed up for partalerts on Twitter and also the discord channel. And get your trigger finger ready, usually around 2pm Tuesdays and Fridays I believe although I may be wrong on the timings.

Soldato
3080 FEs are still being sold nearly weekly or fortnightly via a competitor, so you still have a chance to get one ??

Yeah the 3080FE not so much. It was on launch day on their site and once otherwise for the UK and at one store particular it sends you too. The 3070FE & 3090FE have been having almost weekly drops though. Was only interested in the 3080FE at the price or a 6800XT reference as similar price but may well try for a 6900XT and if don't manage that will have to see in New Year.

Associate
3080s FE were in stock today in France.
If you think that only scalpers go them then you are mistaken. Just look how many FE cards there is in 3080 owners thread definitely more than any other brand and yes I got one too for £649 including next day (Saturday) delivery.

Associate
I usually ignore the FE of cards but this one is pretty good and as it happens more sensible fit for my case. I'm waiting for an 3080 FE at £649, but depending on how long that takes it might be time to consider the (rumoured) Ti version, then its just an endless wait for stock on the gen I want, or I'd consider cheaper non-Ti.

I was trying to guess how many 3080s have been sold. Well all of them clearly. Steam Hardware Survey says 0.22% of current user base owns a 3080, compared to 0.94% for the 5700 XT, a card that has been out since July last year. So erm nvidia are doing pretty well I think, they just can't make them fast enough.

Soldato
3080s FE were in stock today in France.
If you think that only scalpers go them then you are mistaken. Just look how many FE cards there is in 3080 owners thread definitely more than any other brand and yes I got one too for £649 including next day (Saturday) delivery.

That great but I expect most of us are not in france lol. Not saying only scalpers myself but the 3080FE drops at least UK wise have only been twice and the least east to get sorted. I have been checking almost daily since release with no luck yet to getting one.

Associate
That great but I expect most of us are not in france lol. Not saying only scalpers myself but the 3080FE drops at least UK wise have only been twice and the least east to get sorted. I have been checking almost daily since release with no luck yet to getting one.

How have you been checking almost daily.? by going to NVIDIA website.? If so then your chances of seeing one in stock are next to 0 since they sell out in about a minute after showing up.

Soldato

They've been dropped more than twice. This thread is full of misinformation and we're barely 20 posts in.

Soldato
How have you been checking almost daily.? by going to NVIDIA website.? If so then your chances of seeing one in stock are next to 0 since they sell out in about a minute after showing up.

On the discord and yeah I have been doing F5 for lunchtimes every day for the last few weeks with no luck (1:30 to 2:30pm). And indeed, that was my point they are hardly ever in stock and go quickly. That was how this conversation started when people said loads been dropping :/

Back
Top Bottom