*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Low batteries does trigger the software to turn off the haptics, can't say that i noticed any tracking problems at the same time though.

The main thing i have had issues with is the lighting, those lights need to be kept on, even when just using the hmd alone. 4 years of base stations it's something to get used to, it's a good job the G2 has virtually zero light bleed.

Associate
Hey folks, what do you think the chances are of HP selling separate cables (and power) for this? Would like to be able to move it from office room for sims to living room pc where you can actually move about a bit. But don't want the hassle of trying to sort out all the cabling each time!

Associate
Just got my headset today and also having USB issues on an x570 board. None of the rear USB ports work, only my 2 USB 3 ports at the top of my case detect the headset, strangely. Audio kept switching between the headset and main speakers so I changed some settings in WMR and it stopped crashing SteamVR but now audio keeps dropping out... Ordered a powered usb hub, hopefully that fixes it too, for now.

Soldato
OP
Just got my headset today and also having USB issues on an x570 board. None of the rear USB ports work, only my 2 USB 3 ports at the top of my case detect the headset, strangely. Audio kept switching between the headset and main speakers so I changed some settings in WMR and it stopped crashing SteamVR but now audio keeps dropping out... Ordered a powered usb hub, hopefully that fixes it too, for now.

Yes that's exactly the issue most people on X570 are having. I'm using a basic non-powered USB hub and it's working perfectly.

Associate
Just went through the process of disabling SteamVR's motion smoothing and enabling WMR's. It's completely revelatory, in terms of performance alone ACC is like I've never seen it before.

Can you please detail how to disable the SteamVR motion smoothing, the option does not appear in my steamVR settings. Thanks

Soldato
I did the same as Brun, he's right. Make sure you boot the steamvr for mixed reality portal and not the bog standard steamvr. When you've done that you'll see a WMR icon on the dash, then just tab to graphics and you'll see the option to enable it.

Daft Paul posted it over on RD, i did it on a whim thinking it wouldn't be any good. The steam motion smoothing in ACC doesn't work out, the WMR totally does.

Associate
When you've done that you'll see a WMR icon on the dash, then just tab to graphics and you'll see the option to enable it.

I've enabled it on WMR thanks, but I'm confused about his comment on DISabling the motion smoothing in steamVR, that's the bit I can't find.

Soldato
Having some voice recognition "fun" with the headset. Over a 2 HR session playing elite dangerous twice my torch turned on...... Also noticed some times where the screen updates."stuck". I think it's a steamVR for Windows MR issue as I have never had it before with Oculus.

It's not a tracking issue as the headset tracks perfectly but the visuals messup for split second.

Another issue and can someone put me out of my misery please on this as am sure it is get aroundable.

If I bring the windows menu up In a game (with the home button etc) how do I get rid of it.
Also if I switch to home when a game is running.... How do I switch back again.? The game is still running but I don't know how to switch back to the game.

Soldato
I'm confused about his comment on DISabling the motion smoothing in steamVR, that's the bit I can't find

It'll be disabled by default anyway, i presume he had it enabled. The option to change that is in the settings, either the far right icon at the bottom within the VR overlay. or tabbing it in the VR indicator on the desktop.

Soldato
I had a fairly big breakthrough today, the main reason why rolling back to the older Nvidia drivers helped me out with my weird utilisation issues on my 2070S is that it rolled back to a pre hardware based GPU scheduling state... If I update to the newer drivers and turn off the hardware based GPU scheduling option then my weird problems stop (still see those random dropped frames which are a known issue of course).

Not only that, but motion vector reprojection is completely broken if you turn on the hardware based scheduling too... that was causing my biggest issues. So it seems WMR doesn’t play nice with it - turn it off if you’ve got it on!

I've now got both AMS2 and ACC running pretty well and looking fairly decent using the reprojection option.

One thing that does make me cry though - if you turn up the VR pixel density setting on ACC (in game settings, not steam) to 150% just to look around oh my goodness does it look sharp and beautiful. unfortunately I get about 10fps lol.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had the G2 for a week now and it's been a bit of a mixed bag:
- Inserted first battery into the controller and the damn thing started smoking after 2 seconds. Assumed the controller was broke but guessing the flimsy circular battery contacts somehow bent over and caused it. Not the best of starts!
- Asus Ax570-Pro owner so yeah, no USB ports worked at all. Was about to give up when I remembered my rtx card had a usb-c port, which did work. The irony though - have ordered an Asus 3080 for the G2 and it won't have one :)
- Already had an Index so finally completed the guide to get Knuckles working. Not without issues but works 100% now. Basically discovered that the Bluetooth dongles (from old Steam controllers on ebay) were a bit too close together. Used usb extension cables to a dongle either side of my desk and it's great now. Without doing a back-to-back test with the Index & Knuckles I couldn't say if the tracking was inferior this way.
- Lower FOV is a backwards step but the visual clarity is really good and will be hard to return to the Index. Not noticed much in the way of glare/godrays. Audio just as great too.
- I noticed my headset has been drifting or stuttering slightly and it was fine in some games but in Alyx I started to feel sick for the first time ever. Index doesn't so I'm not sure what that is yet but if it remains it will be a deal breaker, especially since Alyx is the one real game I wanted to finish, with the G2.
- Doom VFR and some other game won't boot, no idea why yet, assuming some silly setting, maybe res
- Focussed sweet spot was a bit of mad hype wasn't it? Literally about 2cm in the middle lol. Thought it was meant to be wide! Overall clarity makes up for it though, just felt like another sucker.
- WMR loading clifftop constantly is annoying, the blue header bar to swap back with Windows+Y is annoying. I've just uninstalled the Windows WMR (not WMR for Steam) and will see if that works or has bricked it completely lol

Associate
Oh forgot - the IPD adjustment is really good I thought, really noticeable effect. I struggled to see much difference with the Index and was never really confident I had it exact. With the G2 it's pretty obvious and really does help prevent eye strain. Maybe the Index design meant it didn't 'need' it as such but I was impressed with the G2 (and was lucky enough at 67mm to fit within the parameters). I think it would have been fine about 1.5mm either side of that.

Soldato
- I noticed my headset has been drifting or stuttering slightly and it was fine in some games but in Alyx I started to feel sick for the first time ever. Index doesn't so I'm not sure what that is yet but if it remains it will be a deal breaker, especially since Alyx is the one real game I wanted to finish, with the G2.

Generally a USB issue. Try turning off PCIe 4.0 in Bios just to see if that improves things.

- Doom VFR and some other game won't boot, no idea why yet, assuming some silly setting, maybe res

Not got doom VFR, but one game I own (accRC - an RC heli sim) won't work properly and boots to a blue screen on the headset, not sure what's causing it yet.

- Focussed sweet spot was a bit of mad hype wasn't it? Literally about 2cm in the middle lol. Thought it was meant to be wide! Overall clarity makes up for it though, just felt like another sucker.

There is a definite drop off in clarity away from the centre but after a lot of time with it I would say the centre maybe 30% is hyper clear for me. I suspect a lot of the small FoV and small sweetspot complaints come from the restrictive facial interface holding the headset too far off some people's faces, especially if they have as wider face or deeper set eyes. Just out of interest, make sure your IPD is spot on and then remove the facial interface and get your eyes as close to the lens as you can - how do you find the FoV and sweet spot then?

- WMR loading clifftop constantly is annoying, the blue header bar to swap back with Windows+Y is annoying. I've just uninstalled the Windows WMR (not WMR for Steam) and will see if that works or has bricked it completely lol

Agreed, it would be nice to be able to turn off cliffhouse. However to avoid it switching over control you can disable automatic switching in WMR settings "input switching" and change it to manual. Now it won't switch away control from the desktop when you put the headset on.

Associate
Thanks for the tips Zeeflyboy! I will give the PCIe setting a go. Hopefully a fix will be coming if it is that, as I have a Sabrent 4.0 drive. Might order a powered USB hub anyway as my crappy work laptop dock has USB issues too. When you say it's a USB issue does that mean I'm likely to still have the issue with 4.0 turned on and an external USB hub?

make sure your IPD is spot on and then remove the facial interface and get your eyes as close to the lens as you can - how do you find the FoV and sweet spot then?
Yep that does make a difference for sure. Hopefully a slimmer interface later then. God I wish there was a headset that combined the FOV of the Index with the visuals of the G2!

Overall I do really want to keep the G2, I've just spent way too much recently and with some of the issues I'm feeling a bit disappointed. But it is really clear and for once I've not even noticed I'm wearing a headset. For my head and nose at least it's the best headset I've worn! Did get a little sweaty on Space Pirate Trainer yesterday haha but to be expected. Down to 214th in queue for an Asus TUF 3080 (non-OC) so that will really complement it. Trust me to pick the one model that isn't being favoured. Bloody cancelled a Palit in Sep because I was told it would be early Nov. Hindsight... never expected it to go on for this long

Associate
Had my first experience of bad tracking yesterday. I'd not actually played anything room scale at all, just been sat in the same spot and using wheel not controllers up until then. Thought I'd give Alyx a go and it proved unplayable, my left hand kept appearing above my head lol.

Realising I was standing directly under the only light source in the room, I turned this off and instead switched a lamp on, pointing it at the wall rather than into the room, and it was fine once I'd done that. Also noticed this morning someone reporting that changing the light colour (if you have the option) sorted problems out. Just in case this might help anyone.

@Zeeflyboy hadn't actually tried ACC at all yet so thought I'd give it a go with the 3080, still paired with a 3700X. With Steam SS at 100% and in-game SS at 150 as you mentioned, using the Epic VR setting it was getting 55-65 FPS, FPSVR was reporting 25% reprojection, but I'm not 100% I've got that set up right tbh - just left it as auto in SteamVR?

It did look quite nice, but smoothness is nothing like AC, and the improved visuals can't replace the smoothness for me, it's just a much more enjoyable experience. AMS2 I have got running OK at 90FPS, but again at the expense of a little clarity. What would I give for DLSS 2.1 to be applied to one of these games...

*Edit* just something else to add - had started getting semi-regular 7-14 errors, despite using an external powered USB hub. Only thing that would fix it once it started was removing the cable from the HMD itself. Presumably this gave it a proper power-cycle, as the power is maintained from the wall plug if just removing the USB PC-side only.

Anyway I noticed there was a new Realtek audio driver for my Auros Elite X570, and since installing I've not had that problem again. Could be a coincidence but been 48 hours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom