*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Realising I was standing directly under the only light source in the room, I turned this off and instead switched a lamp on, pointing it at the wall rather than into the room, and it was fine once I'd done that. Also noticed this morning someone reporting that changing the light colour (if you have the option) sorted problems out. Just in case this might help anyone.

I've never had to mess with lighting in this room but now it is Xmas there are different lights on, some quite bright RGB stuff. Hmm.. thanks for the tip! Back in the early days of Vive I nearly gave up after a week of poor tracking until I learnt that a large mirror in this room was the interference culprit. I wonder how many people suffer from issues like that and not realising. Hopefully monitor screens are not reflective enough to cause issues as mine is 38" :)

Soldato
@Zeeflyboy hadn't actually tried ACC at all yet so thought I'd give it a go with the 3080, still paired with a 3700X. With Steam SS at 100% and in-game SS at 150 as you mentioned, using the Epic VR setting it was getting 55-65 FPS, FPSVR was reporting 25% reprojection, but I'm not 100% I've got that set up right tbh - just left it as auto in SteamVR?

Do you have Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling turned on, if so turn it off. Motion smoothing should lock the frame rate to 45fps, so you shouldn’t be seeing variable frame rate which will be causing the lack of smoothness. I have found HAGS completely breaks the motion vector smoothing.

It did look quite nice, but smoothness is nothing like AC, and the improved visuals can't replace the smoothness for me, it's just a much more enjoyable experience. AMS2 I have got running OK at 90FPS, but again at the expense of a little clarity. What would I give for DLSS 2.1 to be applied to one of these games...

The presets aren’t great, better to optimise by yourself.

To see the clarity that wowed me, leave steam and the game resolution at 100%, put VR pixel density to 150% (don’t confuse with game resolution), sharpening to 200-300%, anti aliasing epic and temporal. Never seen so much detail in VR!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just tried updating my X570 to the latest BIOS and disabled PCIE Gen 4 but that didn't fix the issues, so will stick with the USB hub for now, hopefully they will roll out a proper fix in time.

Just spent some time setting my G2 up properly with the cables all hidden away now. The mount I 3d printed for my Rift S also fits the G2 quite nicely. Just need a new mount for the controllers as the rings are a lot bigger than Rift S ones!

Soldato
To see the clarity that wowed me, leave steam and the game resolution at 100%, put VR pixel density to 150% (don’t confuse with game resolution), sharpening to 200-300%, anti aliasing epic and temporal. Never seen so much detail in VR!

I was set at 140% pixel density anyway (in game it's the epic preset) but man alive does increasing the sharping to 250% make all the difference. It looks cleaner, clearer, and crisper than AMS2. Right now i am sitting on a 30 player multi server and the thing is gliding.

*edit my HMD was sitting at 150% in steam too. Id just come off the index and forgot to change it down.

Last edited:
Associate
Do you have Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling turned on, if so turn it off. Motion smoothing should lock the frame rate to 45fps, so you shouldn’t be seeing variable frame rate which will be causing the lack of smoothness. I have found HAGS completely breaks the motion vector smoothing.

The presets aren’t great, better to optimise by yourself.

HAGS (like the acronym) was actually off. Will investigate motion smoothing, I'll confess I just assumed it was on but clearly not then.

Soldato
I was set at 140% pixel density anyway (in game it's the epic preset) but man alive does increasing the sharping to 250% make all the difference. It looks cleaner, clearer, and crisper than AMS2. Right now i am sitting on a 30 player multi server and the thing is gliding.

*edit my HMD was sitting at 150% in steam too. Id just come off the index and forgot to change it down.

Man, I’m jealous that you can run with those settings on the 3090, it looked incredible when I tried it. What sort of frame rates are you getting?

I’ve just got done playing a couple of hours IL2 this evening, and wow is it great. Much easier to spot targets, all the dials and gauges are completely legible... beautiful.

Soldato
FPSVR was holding a 45 average. That was at Spa though, which is more forgiving than any other track. I'll dig deeper and record a log file over a few different tracks with a max field AI next time i fire it up.

Associate
Anyone else notice that the controllers had a small update, put my headset on last night and the controllers had an update, does anyone know what the update is?
I still can't get stand out to work properly, the b button (climb) still doesn't work.
The game is much sharper with the G2 and in this game it really does make a difference but you really need the b (climb) button to work, anyone know any way to fix this?

Associate
The black level is a big disapointment, it's not even a dark gray, but an obviously light gray shade. This probably isn't a big issue for a lot of gaming, but in some of the 'experiences' like the Apollo 11 it really does take away from the experience. I remember trying the Apollo one out a couple of years ago on the Samsung Odyssey and being amazed by the effect once in orbit, the stars against the pitch black of space looked great, it's just a bit 'meh' on the G2. On a few others it's very noticable, walking down pitch black tunnels with few spot lights, it's just light gray, way way too bright, the backlight bleed it just bad.
If there was a way to lower the overall brightness, it might help it, but I don't think that's an option I've seen.

Associate
Man, I’m jealous that you can run with those settings on the 3090, it looked incredible when I tried it. What sort of frame rates are you getting?

I’ve just got done playing a couple of hours IL2 this evening, and wow is it great. Much easier to spot targets, all the dials and gauges are completely legible... beautiful.

Out of interest ZB, what settings have you now settled on for IL2? You have the same GPU as me and at the moment I'm not getting the time I'd like to properly poke around and try stuff out. I think you're running WMR reprojection, defaults in SteamVR at 76%. I see you've had some luck with the Nvidia issue? I updated to Nvidia 460.79 and the HAGS was off by default which is interesting. Haven't tested yet but will have a play around tomorrow fingers crossed.

I'm really not bothered about which game exactly, but I really want to learn to fly the Spit properly (Flight sim properly anyway :D). I tried DCS and through a combination of throwing myself in without VR legs to a dogfight, and pretty poor rig performance I was a bit shaky after 30 mins (Does ginger really have any effect at all?). I know DCS is widely known to be hungry - but I bought both in the Steam sale and haven't got around to trying IL2 yet - got my ... handed to me every time I tried CLOD a few years back and think it put me off!

Would I be right in thinking that motion smoothing in SteamVR (Which can only be altered per game) is the equivalent of WMR reprojection? Is the feeling that WMR reprojection for us lower grade GPU'ers is still better? and that motion smoothing should be disabled in Steam? The choppy behaviour of SteamVR I understand from re-reading this entire thread could be that it's not sticking to 45fps when it needs to. Would motion smoothing beat WMR in this scenario, or leave it at defaults of enabled to overlay on top of the WMR reprojection?

Everything I read leaves me craving... That EVGA 3080 is looking increasingly tempting, but not at £900 for the OC version it's not. They really have us PC gamers 'bent over' don't they? If you could find 'em you could get two next gen consoles for the same price as a single PC component.

Associate
The black level is a big disapointment, it's not even a dark gray, but an obviously light gray shade. This probably isn't a big issue for a lot of gaming, but in some of the 'experiences' like the Apollo 11 it really does take away from the experience. I remember trying the Apollo one out a couple of years ago on the Samsung Odyssey and being amazed by the effect once in orbit, the stars against the pitch black of space looked great, it's just a bit 'meh' on the G2. On a few others it's very noticable, walking down pitch black tunnels with few spot lights, it's just light gray, way way too bright, the backlight bleed it just bad.
If there was a way to lower the overall brightness, it might help it, but I don't think that's an option I've seen.

I feel your pain.. I'm just as much wanting to try out experiences in VR as much as gaming. I also have Apollo 11 and Titanic VR and the latter even had me thinking my unit had a fault due to all the white glow from the edges. The glow doesn't seem to be a general lack of capability to produce blacks by the display but more god rays brighter than the sun and far worse than others have commented on. Question is, is it just how it is and the G2 isn't a good choice for these software titles - or ageing software designed for a different market and hardware spec. My feeling is it isn't necessarily poorly performing display as perhaps lenses that aren't quite up to it.. Or could it be a widely seen early, minor teething problem with the assembly and some of us aren't seeing the real G2 and they are indeed faulty? I tried Allumette tonight and got the same white LED glow (As in Titanic VR) down the right side of the visible display. It was really bright, completely light grey for 30% of the screen. p.s. cracking little VR demo, Allumette, by the way. But what state of mind must you need to be in to write something so amazingly sad. Complex and in some eyes uplifting I'm sure but wow, so unmeasurably emotionally charged.

Associate
I feel your pain.. I'm just as much wanting to try out experiences in VR as much as gaming. I also have Apollo 11 and Titanic VR and the latter even had me thinking my unit had a fault due to all the white glow from the edges. The glow doesn't seem to be a general lack of capability to produce blacks by the display but more god rays brighter than the sun and far worse than others have commented on. Question is, is it just how it is and the G2 isn't a good choice for these software titles - or ageing software designed for a different market and hardware spec. My feeling is it isn't necessarily poorly performing display as perhaps lenses that aren't quite up to it.. Or could it be a widely seen early, minor teething problem with the assembly and some of us aren't seeing the real G2 and they are indeed faulty? I tried Allumette tonight and got the same white LED glow (As in Titanic VR) down the right side of the visible display. It was really bright, completely light grey for 30% of the screen. p.s. cracking little VR demo, Allumette, by the way. But what state of mind must you need to be in to write something so amazingly sad. Complex and in some eyes uplifting I'm sure but wow, so unmeasurably emotionally charged.

It feels like the backlight is set way too high, there is too much bleeding through on the pitch black scenes. It seems they have sacrificed the black levels for an overall brighter image. If the backlight/brightness could be turned down it would help a lot.
I'm not seeing much if any 'glow' at the edges of the lenses, there is a little of the 'god ray' effect on high contrast edges but it's small and will always be an artifact of using this type of lens, this doesn't really bother me.
The sweet spot doesn't seem much different to the Samsung Odyssey for me, it has to be mounted just right to avoid distortion, there's very little leeway.

To me it feels like the early reviewers had different devices, yes they are always going to be hand picked and as perfect as possible for the reviewers. When they come and and say the black levels are great for an lcd panel but not oled, this is really not true, the black levels are bad, even for an lcd panel. The wide sweet spot with little distortion, not true, you can get the centre adjusted fine, but look around and it really isn't a 'wide' sweet spot.

Perhaps the headset I have is on the poor end of the quality control spectrum. I'll keep it for when I finally get my racing sim completed, but looks like I'll be waiting for a future headset with an oled panel in order to get good black levels. It seems in vr because all external light is kept out, our eyes are much more sensitive to how black is, as in pitch black. With all the monitors and tv I've ever used, it's never been an issue for me gaming or otherwise, but it's the one big thing that really disappointed me with this headset. Black should not be light gray!

Associate
My G2 has finally arrived. Yay! My 3080 got postponed :(. So, please, give me advice on what I can do with my G2 running it off an rx480 4gb. I am sure I can't run HL Alyx or Pavlov, but is there anything else worth checking out with this GPU? Thanks!

Soldato
My G2 has finally arrived. Yay! My 3080 got postponed :(. So, please, give me advice on what I can do with my G2 running it off an rx480 4gb. I am sure I can't run HL Alyx or Pavlov, but is there anything else worth checking out with this GPU? Thanks!

MinesweeperVR - RTX off. :D

Soldato
dude/dudess, you are so funny.

I think he was been overly optimistic myself!

I think you might be only able to look at the pictures of games. :p

Seriously though, I don't know if you will get playable framerates in anything, your GPU is very weak. Maybe test out the half res mode.

Associate
I think he was been overly optimistic myself!

I think you might be only able to look at the pictures of games. :p

Seriously though, I don't know if you will get playable framerates in anything, your GPU is very weak. Maybe test out the half res mode.

I am not talking about games here, i understand the limitations of the gpu. Google earth, 360 videos, anything else useful to test my device - this is what I am asking for. So any ideas here would be nice, thanks!

Soldato
One of my co-workers used to run on a 1050ti (mobile) id imagine that's not a million miles away from your 480. The more basic things should work, search the steam store for demo's and free stuff.

Poker Stars Vr is free, should i think run.

Back
Top Bottom