• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 Watercooled Temp

Associate
I just installed a custom loop with an ek waterblock on my 3090. It was super scary taking the cooler off something that expensive and brand new but turned out to be fairly simple in the end. It's totally worth it as it now boosts constantly during gameplay and is totally silent.

Before watercooling I got idle temps of 50-55 and load temps of 75-80.

With watercooling I'm now getting getting idle temps of 27-30, load temps of 55max.

Edit - My Corsair Comander Pro reports the temp sensor lead I put on the EK Backplate gets to about 35 degrees C during load.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Associate
Just wondering those that are fortunate enough to have a 3090 and have then fitted a water block to cool it what temp. under load, is it reaching?

Also does the backplate get hot?

So far I've seen mine (KFA2 card, alphacool block) get up to 49 degrees maximum, and yeah the backplate does get quite warm too.

Associate
I installed the EK TUF 3080/3090 on my TUF 3090 OC and see Idle temps between 24 - 27, hottest I have seen the card get was 51 while playing Cyberpunk maxed out at 3440x1440 so looks like we are all in the same ballpark :)

Every other game I have played sits mid 30's to early 40's pretty much, Before installing the block I did a quick test on air and the backplate you could fry an egg on lol, still gets warm but nowhere near the levels pre water cooling.

Soldato
I installed the EK TUF 3080/3090 on my TUF 3090 OC and see Idle temps between 24 - 27, hottest I have seen the card get was 51 while playing Cyberpunk maxed out at 3440x1440 so looks like we are all in the same ballpark :)

Every other game I have played sits mid 30's to early 40's pretty much, Before installing the block I did a quick test on air and the backplate you could fry an egg on lol, still gets warm but nowhere near the levels pre water cooling.

Plus 1 for the above have the same card and block
I saw 51c on cyberpunk at 4k and 29c at idle

Associate

My First Loop
:)

Case - BeQuiet Darkbase Pro rev 2 (inverted layout)
Fans - Noctua 140mm Chromax Black
AIO - Corsair H150i Pro

Custom Loop
All EK Parts, including Zotac 3090 GPU Block, Backplate, Radiator, D5 Pump combo, 3m of 10/16 Zero Maintenance Tubing, Black Nickel Fittings & Drain Port tap.
Only waiting for adaptor leads for the RGB on the flow indicator, pump and GPU block.

The Corsair AIO only cools the CPU and is mounted at the top.
With my next CPU/motherboard upgrade I'll replace the AIO with an EK CPU block and a better radiator at the top.

The front radiator has 2 fans on the front of the case pushing air in, and another on the inside that you can see on the left side of the image below.
I wanted to have another fan below that but couldn't do it without modifying the case (which I just didn't want to do)

LQB5yi3.jpg

Temps During idling

gyoPvDa.jpg

Temps after loading CP2077 (3840x1600 all settings maxed with dlss auto) and starting a 5 min playthrough

lAEqr0b.jpg

The "Top of Case" temp shown, keeps going until about 35 degrees and then evens out.
The "GPU Cover" temp is taken between the Acetal covering and the circuit board on the front side.

Soldato
Here's my results from a few months back using insurgency sandstorm as a baseline with an Alphacool block:
Note: CPU and GPU are in separate loops so results are not skewed by cpu temps/activity.

Old setup 20mm thick radiator: GPU temp - 55c (Max spike 57c) / Fan speed 70%
New setup 55mm Corsair XR7 radiator: GPU temp - 46c (Max spike 48c) / Fan speed 55%

The most important thing for me here is the fan speed, its so much quieter than before, im over the moon with the outcome.

Give you a feeling of the size difference between the 2 rads lol, its monstrous! I'm glad i didn't go for a 60mm thick rad though, theres literally a 5mm gap left and it probably would have touched.

I'll be testing again once my Watercool Heatkiller V block arrives, apparently has some advantages over the conventional block design but we'll put that to the test. Will also be switching thermal compound to Thermal grizzly's Conductonaut liquid metal.

F1blWKk.jpg

0eb4JF6.jpg

IpmUA3z.jpg

3ZBzLoi.jpg

Soldato
My First Loop :)

Case - BeQuiet Darkbase Pro rev 2 (inverted layout)
Fans - Noctua 140mm Chromax Black
AIO - Corsair H150i Pro

Custom Loop
All EK Parts, including Zotac 3090 GPU Block, Backplate, Radiator, D5 Pump combo, 3m of 10/16 Zero Maintenance Tubing, Black Nickel Fittings & Drain Port tap.
Only waiting for adaptor leads for the RGB on the flow indicator, pump and GPU block.

The Corsair AIO only cools the CPU and is mounted at the top.
With my next CPU/motherboard upgrade I'll replace the AIO with an EK CPU block and a better radiator at the top.

The front radiator has 2 fans on the front of the case pushing air in, and another on the inside that you can see on the left side of the image below.
I wanted to have another fan below that but couldn't do it without modifying the case (which I just didn't want to do)

LQB5yi3.jpg

Temps During idling

gyoPvDa.jpg

Temps after loading CP2077 (3840x1600 all settings maxed with dlss auto) and starting a 5 min playthrough

lAEqr0b.jpg

The "Top of Case" temp shown, keeps going until about 35 degrees and then evens out.
The "GPU Cover" temp is taken between the Acetal covering and the circuit board on the front side.

Wow those temps are impressive i would like to do this at some point with my Zotac 3090, Thanks for the info on your setup.

Soldato
From what I've seen you can expect these temps using maximum power draw (400-450w) and a room temp of 23c

Single 360x30 radiator: 50-55c
Single 360x60 radiator: 45-50c
Double 360x30 radiator: 40-45c
Double 360x60 radiator: 38-42c

Double 360x30 is about the sweet spot, not much reason to go any bigger unless the CPU is also a power hogger. If the CPU is power hungry (250w-500w) then you may want a double 360x40

Associate
I have a 3800x overclocked and an Asus TUF 3090 OC. Both in the same loop, cooled by 2 x 360mm Corsair XR-7 rads and the 3090 never goes over 45 degrees fully loaded (Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k lol)

Associate
I'm running:
EK CoolStream PE 360 (40mm)
EK CoolStream SE 240 (25mm)

I swapped out a 240 PE from the top as I moved to a Fractal Define R6 which didn't have as much height as my last case, I may swap out the 360 PE for a 360 XE for a little additional cooling surface just to give myself a little more head room but to be fair I am seeing good results with the above and that includes a heavily overclocked 10900k dumping its heat into the same loop, I am only going to do it when I convert to hard tubing though as its more of an "I want" as opposed to "I need" given the temps I am seeing currently :)

Soldato
I'm running:
EK CoolStream PE 360 (40mm)
EK CoolStream SE 240 (25mm)

I swapped out a 240 PE from the top as I moved to a Fractal Define R6 which didn't have as much height as my last case, I may swap out the 360 PE for a 360 XE for a little additional cooling surface just to give myself a little more head room but to be fair I am seeing good results with the above and that includes a heavily overclocked 10900k dumping its heat into the same loop, I am only going to do it when I convert to hard tubing though as its more of an "I want" as opposed to "I need" given the temps I am seeing currently :)

you can fit a 60mm thick rad in the r6? If you manage to fit it post some pics

what temps are you seeing atm on the 3090 while gaming at full load?

Associate
you can fit a 60mm thick rad in the r6? If you manage to fit it post some pics

what temps are you seeing atm on the 3090 while gaming at full load?

Will do, going to plan it out tomorrow, will require a res relocation as at the moment I have around 15mm clearance from the pump to shroud, will take a couple of pics how it is now and what I am planning to do tomorrow :)

At the moment I am seeing GPU temps under load averaging mid 40's with a max of 51 while playing Cyberpunk on full chat which I think is pretty good. While playing rocket league they never leave the 30's and I was streaming some GTA earlier using the GPU to encode and saw a max of 47 degrees, my idle temps are as low as 27 degrees (currently 23 at the moment)

Soldato
Will do, going to plan it out tomorrow, will require a res relocation as at the moment I have around 15mm clearance from the pump to shroud, will take a couple of pics how it is now and what I am planning to do tomorrow :)

At the moment I am seeing GPU temps under load averaging mid 40's with a max of 51 while playing Cyberpunk on full chat which I think is pretty good. While playing rocket league they never leave the 30's and I was streaming some GTA earlier using the GPU to encode and saw a max of 47 degrees, my idle temps are as low as 27 degrees (currently 23 at the moment)

Have you managed to get photos? keen to see how you managed to get it to fit to see if I can do the same

Associate
Hi Mate,

I changed direction and did a new build in the O11D XL as I felt like a change, I did however but the XE and offer it up before I switched path and it was hella tight. I was going to modify a 120mm bracket so that the holes off the pump holder which connect it to the original bracket line up which would give around 15 - 20mm move wiggle room, doesn't sound much but it changed the mounting possibilities dramatically so it is doable with a little modding.

I regret sending the XE back and swapping it for the PE now though as I underestimated how much room I had to play with for tubing off the FLT 360 :(

sXkiHM6.jpg

WHw3qHv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom