• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 Watercooled Temp

Associate
OP
my temps under load, ie sim racing on a triple screen is cpu and gpu about 55deg. this is one loop using a corsair xr7 360 rad on the top and an ek pe 360 rad on the bottom of the case (O11d). both top and bottom fans blow out

however I am greedy and would like even lower temps :)

would it make much difference if I replace the bottom rad with another corsair xr7?

also would I be better off having the bottom rads drawing air in as opposed to blowing air out?

Associate
My delta for GPU vs Water temp is always either 23 deg C at stock power limit (400w) or 29deg c at max power limit ( 480w ) with the 3090 Strix so for example if water temp is sitting at 28 deg and I'm using stock power limits then gpu will sit at 51 deg stock or 57 deg at the higher power limit . Air to water temp can be anywhere from 7 deg c to 18deg c depending how much i ramp up the fans...

Soldato
my temps under load, ie sim racing on a triple screen is cpu and gpu about 55deg. this is one loop using a corsair xr7 360 rad on the top and an ek pe 360 rad on the bottom of the case (O11d). both top and bottom fans blow out

however I am greedy and would like even lower temps :)

would it make much difference if I replace the bottom rad with another corsair xr7?

also would I be better off having the bottom rads drawing air in as opposed to blowing air out?
I don't think you'll see a massive difference changing the PE360 to a XR7 55mm 360. I would contemplate trying something wild like an external rad for a major difference in temps.

I'm currently figuring out an additional external 360 radiator to cool the 3090 and see how big of a difference in temps in makes with the use of QD's.

Soldato
I almost pushed the button on the new AMD cpus but that would have meant a new mobo and i had just bought the 3090 and a the dell 38" screen so felt I had spent enough and should enjoy my new set up for a while.

Plus new sockets and new boards due in 2021 with no doubt more features on board. Plus I was struggling to get enough lanes to support my 6 nvme drives.

So its only the heat and the sound thats wrong with my current set up, its not lacking performance.
You've come this far, whats another £1000 on cpu and mobo :D

If your setup was lacking still then we're doom really. Seriously though would love enough cooling to be able to run passive when needed and barely audible when under load. Gonna be my new goal, trying out some new setups with QD's without having to switch case.

Associate
OP
I don't think you'll see a massive difference changing the PE360 to a XR7 55mm 360. I would contemplate trying something wild like an external rad for a major difference in temps.

I'm currently figuring out an additional external 360 radiator to cool the 3090 and see how big of a difference in temps in makes with the use of QD's.
interesting not seen any builds using an external rad

what about my question re air flow on the bottom rad

Associate
I am looking at my wall now thinking, if I got an external rad I could make a feature of it on my mancave wall.... then I heard the Mrs moaning downstairs and though if I spend any more money in the next month on my build she will go crackers haha.

This forum is the devil!!

Associate
You've come this far, whats another £1000 on cpu and mobo :D

If your setup was lacking still then we're doom really. Seriously though would love enough cooling to be able to run passive when needed and barely audible when under load. Gonna be my new goal, trying out some new setups with QD's without having to switch case.

This is becoming an addiction.

Jay you only just made a change and now you are thinking about hooking up an external Hypderdrive Generator outside the case!

I do love to see low temps though.

I would much rather be in the low 40's at load!

Associate
This is becoming an addiction.

Jay you only just made a change and now you are thinking about hooking up an external Hypderdrive Generator outside the case!

I do love to see low temps though.

I would much rather be in the low 40's at load!

But now that I think of it... You guys are such bad influences!

It would be easy to put another couple of runs in and pass them out the back of the case.

Do you think you could run one of these passively?

Watercool MO-RA3 420 Core

Soldato

But now that I think of it... You guys are such bad influences!

It would be easy to put another couple of runs in and pass them out the back of the case.

Do you think you could run one of these passively?

Watercool MO-RA3 420 Core
I could quite easily on a single D5, research tells me they aren't that restrictive so should be flow. Flow rate might take a hit though but with a rad that big i dont think flow rate even matters that much lol.

Associate
I could quite easily on a single D5, research tells me they aren't that restrictive so should be flow. Flow rate might take a hit though but with a rad that big i dont think flow rate even matters that much lol.

Good point that!

I guess another factor is you probably need another litre of coolant in there!

Now I want to buy one and try it lol.

Maybe next build :)

Might leave it to you pro's

Associate
Just tried a little undervolting.

Got loads of profiles now. Needs slightly more testing.

1815 Mhz @ .787mv
1860 Mhz @ .825mv

From what I have read, it's a pretty good result based of FE stock performance and boost clocks.

Cyberpunk at max settings is now in the mid 40c range with the 1815 Mhz settings.

Other games like Hitman still seem to nail it to at least 50c.

Don't notice any game problems. Seems pretty much the same FPS.

With a reference card with only 2 8 pins I am topping out at power limit so hard I actually sometime get better clocks with these settings due to lower power limit.

I have tried overclocking and undervolting and doesn't really net any great temp to performance gains.

Liking the efficiency of this so far!

Soldato
It's done, dropped my temps quite significantly!

Quick test on no mans sky: 99% gpu load
Before: 48-50c tops - 1400rpm
After: 41-42c tops Fans 800-1000rpm

MoRa3 is my next upgrade! Be a simple swap since im on quick disconnects now.

3jpoEWT.jpg

8i4HbRQ.jpg

JvNPdi6.jpg

OL38ovM.jpg

CJ5JBuU.jpg

Associate
It's done, dropped my temps quite significantly!

Quick test on no mans sky: 99% gpu load
Before: 48-50c tops - 1400rpm
After: 41-42c tops Fans 800-1000rpm

MoRa3 is my next upgrade! Be a simple swap since im on quick disconnects now.

3jpoEWT.jpg

8i4HbRQ.jpg

JvNPdi6.jpg

OL38ovM.jpg

CJ5JBuU.jpg

That's amazing Jay.

Be great if you could rig up some kind of nice holder and attach it to the case somehow.

Thinking like a 3D printed bracket or something.

That Mora will take you to idle temps at load!

Addiction level confirmed. Unlocked. Well done Agent 47. I will leave you to prepare Mora.

Associate
So, i've been messing around again.

Don't know why I never really thought about this too much.

The reason I am getting high temps watercooling is I am playing at 4K with at 144hz monitor lol.

I turned settings down to 1440p and I am in the 40's overclocked as well.

Well, that answered a lot of my questions!

I guess when ppl quote temps it is good to know resolution too!

What res are ppl running with the temps they are getting? Sorry if this has been discussed.

Soldato
External radiators are not common because it makes moving the PC difficult

Heatkiller setup with 8mm quick disconnects from Koolance. Girlfriend/Wife friendly and good for at least 1000W. My rig is a ITX setup with a carry handle with 8mm tubing on the GPU and CPU blocks, I can move it around the house far easier than my earlier rigs as i can move the rad and the ITX case separately and the ITX does not weigh much. Flexible tubing too.

Zq0nSxAl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
So I completely rethought everything.

Went a bit mental and ordered this..

£77.49 x 1 - EK Water Blocks EK-CoolStream CE 420 (Triple Fan) Radiator
£4.16 x 2 - EK Water Blocks EK-AF Classic Angled 90 Degree Rotary Fitting - Nickel
£4.16 x 2 - EK Water Blocks EK-AF Classic Angled 45 Degree Rotary Fitting - Nickel
£4.99 x 1 - EK Water Blocks EK-Cable Splitter 4-Fan PWM Extended
£6.66 x 1 - EK Water Blocks EK-CryoFuel Clear 1L Premix Watercooling Fluid - 1 Litre
£4.16 x 4 - EK Water Blocks EK-UNI Holder 50-70
£2.91 x 4 - EK Water Blocks EK-STC Classic 10/16 Soft Tubing Compression Fitting - Nickel

I've been researching and I think 1 D5 pump should be fine for this! I currently run it at 40% anyway and makes little difference to temps at 100% so I reckon it's got legs.

Opted for not going with quick release at the moment.

The idea is to either drill into the side of the case and mount there with those EK bracket things, or mount on the wall behind PC (That would be much easier).

Still debating the whole quick disconnects.

Not going to do the work yet so going to have a think about it.

I love a project. This probably won't make that much meaningful difference, but should be fun.

I have spare 140mm noctuas I have been itching to use, so here's the chance.

So, to sum up I am currently using two 360mm EK rads inside the H700 and going to mount a 420 outside the case.

Feel free to criticise my choices. It will help. I am a noob with an IFixit Kit.

Back
Top Bottom