New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Greetings everyone! Mine came two days ago. Gave me a terrible headache, eye strain and dizziness, even at 20% brightness. After feeling terribly nauseated I immediately disconnected and put it back in the box. Got to admit though the image was fantastic and games where running smoothly. Really sad that I'll have to return it. Got zero bad pixels and low blb... Anyone having a strange cloudy feeling (like losing focus) when on white backgrounds with this one?

Associate
So I got this monitor 9 days ago, and we’re loving it a lot. Had some issues with nvidia not always detecting it as a g sync monitor, so I decided to ditch my nvidia driver from April to the newest from December, cleaning all previous settings as my previous monitor was running default confic anyway and I like swiping previous updates.

To my biggest horror, the colors changed. The image became much darker, and colors like red were neon like.

I read about this issue and noticed that my monitor is a wide gamut. But if I could use this monitor for 7 days without any issues and more friendly colors, then I assume its the drivers that are troubling me, even when my monitor has these extreme color settings.

I’d tried to dampen the vibrance, and even change color, and tried warmer and cold colors on my monitor, but even though it is a little easier on my eyes, the eye strain will eventually kick in.

Before the update I could play for hours without any issues, but after the update which oversaturated everything my eyes really hurts after a few minutes of using it.

Does anyone know what could cause this? I’d tried to reset both my monitor and nvidia to factory details but without any luck. I’d managed to dampen the red color but I still feel eye strain.

I tried to make the full dynamic range under nvidia to limited, which seemed to dampen the colors. Maybe a little too much, but it did delay the feeling of eye strain.

Is it stupid to change the settings so much when you are already affected? Does it take days for the eye strain to go away from the display so I can see if it helped?

Soldato
eye strain usually is linked to a too high brightness (possibly also contrast).

Just before I got the LG screen, I experimented with an extra 10 brightness on my old screen and noticed eye strain started happening on desktop use.
Are you sure your new dell is not at a higher brightness than your old screen?

Associate

Just before I got the LG screen, I experimented with an extra 10 brightness on my old screen and noticed eye strain started happening on desktop use.

The thing is, when I replaced my old monitor with the new, it worked flawless for like 7 days.
It was fantastic.
After I updated my nvidia drivers the saturation was all over the place and the colors as well.
The weird thing is even though I made a clean driver install I always just ran with the standard settings, but for some reason it just went crazy.

My red is like neon, and I quickly get eye strain after the update. Everything feels oversaturated. Dark brightness yet explosive colors. It really annoys me as the monitor was perfect before and I don't know why it did that. I have tried to reroll the drivers back but alas.
I tried adjusting color temp with flux, and it seem to have helped a bit. But I really miss the monitor was perfect out of the box.

Soldato
The thing is, when I replaced my old monitor with the new, it worked flawless for like 7 days.
It was fantastic.
After I updated my nvidia drivers the saturation was all over the place and the colors as well.
The weird thing is even though I made a clean driver install I always just ran with the standard settings, but for some reason it just went crazy.

My red is like neon, and I quickly get eye strain after the update. Everything feels oversaturated. Dark brightness yet explosive colors. It really annoys me as the monitor was perfect before and I don't know why it did that. I have tried to reroll the drivers back but alas.
I tried adjusting color temp with flux, and it seem to have helped a bit. But I really miss the monitor was perfect out of the box.

That seems odd, maybe the old monitor icc was in place and got reset or something, but even then that file only affects a few apps.

Sadly your screen has no sRGB profile so you in a tough situation now. Probably you going to have to tinker with the color strength on the monitor OSD to get things how you want, check also the hardware unboxed video review for the monitor, they posted their tuned settings on there for sRGB.

Associate
That seems odd, maybe the old monitor icc was in place and got reset or something, but even then that file only affects a few apps.

Sadly your screen has no sRGB profile so you in a tough situation now. Probably you going to have to tinker with the color strength on the monitor OSD to get things how you want, check also the hardware unboxed video review for the monitor, they posted their tuned settings on there for sRGB.

Yeah it really sucks. I contacted Dell support which said they didnt add it because it could interfere with AMD Premium Sync which sounds like B/s to me.

It seems pretty hard to tinker with the colors since theres so much you can do. I tried changing the color temp though with Flux and it seems to have helped a bit.

rtings has a ICC profile but as other have said is that it differs from monitor to monitor.

Should it be possible to set it up properly, or should I return it?

I mean, if I couldnt use it at all then it would be weird I could use it in a week without any issues.

Soldato
Yeah it really sucks. I contacted Dell support which said they didnt add it because it could interfere with AMD Premium Sync which sounds like B/s to me.

It seems pretty hard to tinker with the colors since theres so much you can do. I tried changing the color temp though with Flux and it seems to have helped a bit.

rtings has a ICC profile but as other have said is that it differs from monitor to monitor.

Should it be possible to set it up properly, or should I return it?

I mean, if I couldnt use it at all then it would be weird I could use it in a week without any issues.

I dont want to make your choice for you, but I still remember displayninja's review, and I feel it is a reasonable quote.

They suggest if your primary use is the PC and you want previous levels of colour saturation then the LG850 is the better choice. The sRGB was a big factor in my decision.

As to why so many manufacturers are skipping over it, who knows, likely they dont want to make a perfect monitor (as previously stated, they perhaps want people to buy multiple screens for multiple purposes), or they just cutting too many corners for cost control.

I agree the reason given to you is BS, on the LG, when HDR is activated it forces the vivid profile to be used, the sRGB profile has no affect at all on that.

Also be aware of some new screens that have sRGB but do not allow brightness to be adjusted, luckily hardware unboxed has been calling them out, as that is utterly ridicolous.

Also there is the LG 27GL83A, same as the LG850 (nano ips), but its an sRGB monitor, so not even a need for an sRGB mode as its natively sRGB.

Associate
I dont want to make your choice for you, but I still remember displayninja's review, and I feel it is a reasonable quote.

They suggest if your primary use is the PC and you want previous levels of colour saturation then the LG850 is the better choice. The sRGB was a big factor in my decision.

As to why so many manufacturers are skipping over it, who knows, likely they dont want to make a perfect monitor (as previously stated, they perhaps want people to buy multiple screens for multiple purposes), or they just cutting too many corners for cost control.

I agree the reason given to you is BS, on the LG, when HDR is activated it forces the vivid profile to be used, the sRGB profile has no affect at all on that.

Also be aware of some new screens that have sRGB but do not allow brightness to be adjusted, luckily hardware unboxed has been calling them out, as that is utterly ridicolous.

Also there is the LG 27GL83A, same as the LG850 (nano ips), but its an sRGB monitor, so not even a need for an sRGB mode as its natively sRGB.

I've tried to fix it with flux, and I see some results. Having the color temp at 5000 helped it a bit, but I dont think it's optimal? Would anyone keep a monitor if it required Flux?

The LG 27GL83A seem to cost the same as the Dell in my country, should it be better in other ways compared to the dell? What's LG's take on dead pixels and IPS glow?

I am very lucky with this monitor, as it has zero dead pixels and very mild IPS glow. But the RGB settings has me frightened and I still have around 5 days before I can send my monitor back.

I am complete rookie about this, and I won't hang you up on the choice, but would you personall send the Dell back and get the LG 27GL83A instead, of try to tweak it?

Edit: I searched for the LG monitor + Eye Strain, and seems like other has the same issues as well there.

Soldato
Sorry I have no idea on their pixel policies, sadly they dont give you 3 year warranty same as dell, my screen has no dead pixels. I do have mild ips glow bottom left corner, it can be effectively removed by just raising the monitor a little so viewing angle offsets it.

Associate
Is it stupid to change the settings so much when you are already affected? Does it take days for the eye strain to go away from the display so I can see if it helped?
Personally I can't even stand my old monitor for more than 10 minutes anymore. Checking settings all the time will definitely re-trigger the strain, so it's better to rest your eyes a bit. Make sure you stay hydrated and use artificial tears if possible. They help a lot.

At first I had the brightness to default (75%). But after an hour of usage, I dropped it to 29% like rtings suggest. The strange thing is, my old BENQ had the brightness cranked up, and I used to stare at blinding white backgrounds while coding without any problems.
The most disturbing thing for my eyes imho was their inability to properly focus on letters over a white background. I believe my eye strain came from that. Is it possible that the 20khz flicker had.anything to do with this?

Associate
Roger that.

Can color temp give eye strain, or am I making something up in my head? Also, is 5k color temp "too low", or is it depending on the environemnt?

Personally I can't even stand my old monitor for more than 10 minutes anymore. Checking settings all the time will definitely re-trigger the strain, so it's better to rest your eyes a bit. Make sure you stay hydrated and use artificial tears if possible. They help a lot.

At first I had the brightness to default (75%). But after an hour of usage, I dropped it to 29% like rtings suggest. The strange thing is, my old BENQ had the brightness cranked up, and I used to stare at blinding white backgrounds while coding without any problems.
The most disturbing thing for my eyes imho was their inability to properly focus on letters over a white background. I believe my eye strain came from that. Is it possible that the 20khz flicker had.anything to do with this?

I also have my brightness at 75%, but if I drop it to 29 my screen is so dark I can hardly see anything.

Tried turning my brigntess down to around 30% as you said, what about Dark Stabilizer? If I dont have that on its more or less black on my screen. Not black but very very dark.

I fear the 20khz flicker could do it, but should it even be noticeable? Also, it seems weird since it worked fine before the nvidia update.

Last edited:
Associate
Update. I suspect it could have been the brightness that made it feel like my eyes hurt, as it was so bright. atm I have both brightness and contrast at 60% and not running Flux. I've also set saturation to 40% and Darkness Stabilizer at 3.

Colors arent oversaturated and insane bright, and chrome also has a less bright look.

My brain just tells me if its right to have to use these settings, or is it what calibration are for? Lol I know I ask weird **** but I just want to make the right choice here.

Soldato
75% is very high, but I suppose if you are used to that level of brightness then lower levels will feel odd. I dont think I have ever ran a screen above about 30% brightness, currently using 20 on my LG.

Also the dell has higher brightness to meet HDR400 spec, so % for % wont be equal to lower brightness displays.

Associate
75% is very high, but I suppose if you are used to that level of brightness then lower levels will feel odd. I dont think I have ever ran a screen above about 30% brightness, currently using 20 on my LG.

Also the dell has higher brightness to meet HDR400 spec, so % for % wont be equal to lower brightness displays.

I've set my dark stabiliser to 3,saturation 40, light and contrast to 60 percent. Does that sound wrong? It seems to be OK for me now.

Associate
Update: after playing with this for a few hours it seems to have helped a lot. My right eyes has no eye strain but my left eye has a little,but I suspect it could be because of eye fatigue over the last hours or maybe even days.

Associate
Roger that.

Can color temp give eye strain, or am I making something up in my head? Also, is 5k color temp "too low", or is it depending on the environemnt?
I think high color temp also means high amount of blue light. If this is correct, then on high temp, the eyes must handle the increased amount of energy packed in the blue light. Regarding 5k, I think it's objectively low, since the preferred temp (white is truly white) is around 6500K.
Update. I suspect it could have been the brightness that made it feel like my eyes hurt, as it was so bright. atm I have both brightness and contrast at 60% and not running Flux. I've also set saturation to 40% and Darkness Stabilizer at 3.

Colors arent oversaturated and insane bright, and chrome also has a less bright look.

My brain just tells me if its right to have to use these settings, or is it what calibration are for? Lol I know I ask weird **** but I just want to make the right choice here.
Glad to hear that someone managed to fix it (also a bit jealous ). Maybe I'll rethink the refund then.

Associate
I think high color temp also means high amount of blue light. If this is correct, then on high temp, the eyes must handle the increased amount of energy packed in the blue light. Regarding 5k, I think it's objectively low, since the preferred temp (white is truly white) is around 6500K.

Glad to hear that someone managed to fix it (also a bit jealous ). Maybe I'll rethink the refund then.

I'd say its worth a shot as it's one slick and sexy monitor once it's good for you. The troubleshooting was easy for me, as I instantly noticed what was wrong.

Try plug your old monitor in, switch after some gaming and notice what's changed, and then try to counter it.

Stopped using flux and calibrated my monitor instead with high satisfaction

Last edited:
Associate
some of the latest nvidia updates cause flickering so I rolled back to prior one

Was it noticeable?
I mean could you see it with your eyes, or was it just the feeling of flickering?

Edit after searching the Web it's only texture flickering and not monitor flickering right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom