Worlds most underrated PC games - post here..

Soldato
I'll start you off..

Unreal Tournament 3

I had some hair-raising online matches with this one. Was a real shame it never really caught on. Still a very slick experience to this day (just turn off framerate smoothing).

Why was it not popular? Fast fps was already losing popularity. Art style was marmite and bloom effects were overdone - too much of a departure from previous UT games. Had a buggy release with a console-like UI (which was subsequently fixed). Took a few too many risks with new features that jarred with players. Arguably didn't ship with enough good maps.

Soldato
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

A truly delightful RPG that blended steampunk and high fantasy. Hundreds of cool story lines to follow and...to top it all. The best cookie recipe i have ever tried in the back of the manual

edit - in trying to find the recipe online. my world has been rocked by the fact that it was in fact Temple of Elemental Evil that had the cookie recipe. The arcanum recipe is for banana bread!

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/buc7z7/oc_found_a_recipe_for_chocolate_chip_cookies_in/

Last edited:
Associate
Supreme commander + FA

Still the pinnacle or the RTS genre some 13 years later, marginalised by high budget but inferior franchises such as C&C and StarCraft. Offered a level of depth and grandness that still hasn't been matched to this day.

Soldato
Prey... The 2006 game, not the new one

Absolutely amazing back in the day. It used portals like the game Portal does, but came out the year before Portal. In some ways it used them better, like the portal that leads to what initially seems like a new area, only you then realise you've been shrunk are you're running around on the piece of rock that is in a display cabinet on the desk in the office the portal entrance is in.

It was truly a great game!!

Permabanned
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way

TimeShift (the release game not 1st demo as was bought over and remade).

Singularity

BulletStorm

Spec Ops The Line

Will add more as i remember

Permabanned

Absolutely amazing back in the day. It used portals like the game Portal does, but came out the year before Portal. In some ways it used them better, like the portal that leads to what initially seems like a new area, only you then realise you've been shrunk are you're running around on the piece of rock that is in a display cabinet on the desk in the office the portal entrance is in.

Also grav walkways so you ended up fighting while walking upside down on the roof/walls.

I am not sure it was portals but a spirit walk but hard to remember.

Soldato
Dex - side scrolling cyberpunk game. Really good.

Nexus The Jupiter Incident

Although I think they are fairly highly rated I don't think the Dishonored games get enough credit.

Caporegime
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy.

Aside from a number of shortcomings, I think the team produced something quite unique.

I'd love to see it receive more polish and extra attention if only a little.

Man of Honour
Although I think they are fairly highly rated I don't think the Dishonored games get enough credit.

The first one definitely - it didn't do something new as such but it did something old very well and shipped IIRC with hardly and bugs, etc. (yes you actually can make a game which is reasonably bug free).

Not quite underrated in the same way but I think Test Drive Unlimited 2 never got some of the recognition it deserved for some aspects partly because it never really exploited what it had - it had a lot of issues and game play wise was mediocre but the level of detail that went into building the game world was insane especially with the limits of rendering tech, etc. they were working with.

Caporegime

The Indian...and hallucinations IIRC...

Soldato
OP
Emperor: Battle for Dune (2001)

Another c&c style RTS (although strictly speaking the 1992 title Dune II should really be credited with starting the genre). Presentation was incredible for its time. Well worth a look what with the new movie coming out, but hard to get hold of and get running nowadays.

Associate
I think sleeping dogs was very underrated but great fun
Brilliant game. Pork bun anyone? :D

Spec Ops The Line

So underrated, the phosphor bomb part was chilling.

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy.

Wow! Someone else played it?! One of the most confusing, weird and frustrating games I ever played. Didn't get far but did enjoy what I could get my head round. Looked cool for the time.

I'm nominating the Dishonored series, I loved them both but they never seem to get much recognition.

Soldato
Also grav walkways so you ended up fighting while walking upside down on the roof/walls.

I am not sure it was portals but a spirit walk but hard to remember.

Ah yes, the gravity walkways, totally forgot about them :)

I'm nominating the Dishonored series, I loved them both but they never seem to get much recognition.

Yes, great games. Only got around to playing the 2nd one last year. I really hope they make another one!!

Soldato
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

A truly delightful RPG that blended steampunk and high fantasy. Hundreds of cool story lines to follow and...to top it all. The best cookie recipe i have ever tried in the back of the manual

edit - in trying to find the recipe online. my world has been rocked by the fact that it was in fact Temple of Elemental Evil that had the cookie recipe. The arcanum recipe is for banana bread!

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/buc7z7/oc_found_a_recipe_for_chocolate_chip_cookies_in/

I have never quite forgiven that game for the amount of skill points that had to be poured into firearms to get any weapon even close to the effectiveness of early game magical weapons.

Back
Top Bottom