** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES (3090 / 3080 / 3070) NOW ONLINE AT OcUK **

Associate
Exactly but there are also reports of less scrupulous companies (not overclockers) who have taken that sweet pre order money and bought the cards and scalped them on ebay for months making up to x3 retail and only then delivering the cards. And in all honesty if youre a scum bag why wouldnt you do this when gamers are dumb enough to pay in advance and then wait an unlimited amount of time. Un heard of consumer situation being horribly abused all over the world. Much like the nvidia factories which were robbed for thousands of cards by allegedly an employee knowing the cards are worth more than cold at xmas lol And those who have taken thousands of orders across the 80 90 70 range and for 3 months sat on the interest . 3k orders (easy number to get in uk alone) x average of 700 a card is about 2million. The interest on 2 mill in the uk without investments is about 6% on average meaning a free 12 k a year or 4k every 3 months for doing nothing. If that 3k order was 6 k then youre getting 8k every few months lol and the gamers dont complain or care (enough to do anything) even if you then cancel or refund "due to covid" which is now the blanket excuse for every anti consumer action. Never seen anything like it...well I have. Its a form of conditioning to accept the bare minimum created by publishers over a generation. from Every time a AAA game launches as a broken mess (cyberpunk i c u) millions of people rally to defend why that's ok (its not) and then spend more money even while the games being pulled from shelves haha cyber punk went from 8 milllion pre-order to a 13 million after refunds due to be tech broken. Proving that we're either morons or addicts lol no other industry is like this ...its literally crazy :?

I think you're a bit off the mark. Overclockers.co.uk where one of the very few sites taking pre-orders. I'm not sure where you'd get 6% average interest on money held on deposit. The Bank of England interest rate is 0.1%. Holding large sums of money on deposit is a mugs game, and its not going to be invested in "high" interest products as that would *** with cash flow. Additionally Overclockers.co.uk have accepted significant currency and supply risk. Its probably worked out nicely for them on the Ryzen pre-orders but not so much on the the GPUs. Why do you think they stopped taking pre-orders and also started to provide free upgrades to clear back orders.

Associate
I think you're a bit off the mark. Overclockers.co.uk where one of the very few sites taking pre-orders. I'm not sure where you'd get 6% average interest on money held on deposit. The Bank of England interest rate is 0.1%. Holding large sums of money on deposit is a mugs game, and its not going to be invested in "high" interest products as that would *** with cash flow. Additionally Overclockers.co.uk have accepted significant currency and supply risk. Its probably worked out nicely for them on the Ryzen pre-orders but not so much on the the GPUs. Why do you think they stopped taking pre-orders and also started to provide free upgrades to clear back orders.
Yeah I would love to know where you can get 6% interest rate from.

Associate
I picked the worst time to build my first pc I planned what I wanted but I can't really pull the trigger until I can get all the parts.

I'm reluctant to buy the CPU, Motherboard etc just in case their faulty as I suspect the wait for a GPU will be a while still.

Associate
I picked the worst time to build my first pc I planned what I wanted but I can't really pull the trigger until I can get all the parts.

I'm reluctant to buy the CPU, Motherboard etc just in case their faulty as I suspect the wait for a GPU will be a while still.
You can build the PC with a really cheap GPU to check everything else is working?

Associate
Maybe get a second hand GPU? I was looking to sell my GTX670 but it's worth like a tenner now.

Possibly, im always a little wary about buying second hand electronics though. Im hoping in the next month or 2 we might finally start seeing stock normalise and things actually become available.

Associate

I assume your chosen cpu has no igpu built in?
I sold my rtx 2070 super about a month ago thinking I'd get another one easily when I'm less skint, but can't even buy the same one again for anything close to what i got for it. Now I'm stuck playing 2d/old games on iGPU, but enjoying some interesting indie games

Associate
The gigabyte B550 Auros would start with a 5000series CPU. You just have to then plug in a USB stick with the bios downloaded and go from there. Suspect others are the same.
Sorry so I would start with the CPU in to begin with and then plug in a usb with the BIOS? From what I was reading it sounded like I would initially not put in the 5000 series CPU (could either start without a CPU or use an older CPU that is already supported) then plug the usb with the bios update, run and then finally put in the 5000 series CPU. I suspect the boards might vary here

I was looking at the MSI X570 Tomahawk as I heard its a pretty good board especially for it price range and I think with that board it possible to run the bios without the CPU, I could be wrong though

Associate
Sorry so I would start with the CPU in to begin with and then plug in a usb with the BIOS? From what I was reading it sounded like I would initially not put in the 5000 series CPU (could either start without a CPU or use an older CPU that is already supported) then plug the usb with the bios update, run and then finally put in the 5000 series CPU. I suspect the boards might vary here

I was looking at the MSI X570 Tomahawk as I heard its a pretty good board especially for it price range and I think with that board it possible to run the bios without the CPU, I could be wrong though
Don't know about the MSI but for the Gigabyte board I just installed everything as per normal and start the PC. It would boot all the way to the bios screen where you can press "Del" to enter setup. From there you can flash the BIOS. Really easy.

Associate
Oh and the reason I picked the Gigabyte one is because I'm really rusty with building PC having not done it from scratch for 8yrs. So I basically used the same component as the Machine and More YouTube video :D

Associate
Oh and the reason I picked the Gigabyte one is because I'm really rusty with building PC having not done it from scratch for 8yrs. So I basically used the same component as the Machine and More YouTube video :D

Thanks for the help! I understand this is all new to me as this will be my first build so im also watching a lot of youtube videos. I could probably go for cheaper options in certain areas (like the motherboard, memory, case and PSU) But I read some alarming things when it came to skimping out in certain areas (the PSU in particular) so I have been looking at higher end options.

Associate
Thanks for the help! I understand this is all new to me as this will be my first build so im also watching a lot of youtube videos. I could probably go for cheaper options in certain areas (like the motherboard, memory, case and PSU) But I read some alarming things when it came to skimping out in certain areas (the PSU in particular) so I have been looking at higher end options.
Don't skimp on the PSU serioulsy look at 850 watt plus, that way if the load is only 400-450 watts, the PSU is at its most efficient at 50% load, and don't buy more motherboard than you need B550 v X570, look at what both offer at the price you are willing to allocate same applies to Intel, but there is a minefield in CPU and Motherboard compatibility with Intel compared to AMD. RAM look at 16 Gb as minimum, preferably 32 Gb for future proofing.

Associate
Don't skimp on the PSU serioulsy look at 850 watt plus, that way if the load is only 400-450 watts, the PSU is at its most efficient at 50% load, and don't buy more motherboard than you need B550 v X570, look at what both offer at the price you are willing to allocate same applies to Intel, but there is a minefield in CPU and Motherboard compatibility with Intel compared to AMD. RAM look at 16 Gb as minimum, preferably 32 Gb for future proofing.

Its more like 75% load for peak efficiency depending on the quality.

For reference I run a 430w powering a 2700x and 1080 , pulls around 350w at the wall in a general gaming workload , a 550w on a 1700 and 2080s pulling about 400w , and a 3080 and 5900x on a 650w pulling about 450w/500w from the wall .

All quality superflower / evga (superflower oem) units. Quality is more important than overall wattage.

Back
Top Bottom