CPU Missing On Arrival

Associate
Hello everyone, I hope 2021 is going better for you guys than it is for me currently.

I never usually do this type of stuff, Why? well because i've never had issues with overclockers before, I used them when i built my first PC and i use them every time when i upgrade.

My fiancé bought me the 5900x as a gift (she's basically allowing me to get a new build since my old one is dying). I finally got around to being allowed to open it, She mentioned prior to me being able to have the gift that the Box was damaged, I told her not to worry transit can be rough sometimes. The outter box appeared to be pushed in and pulled down if that makes sense, while slightly being torn. The cpu box itself was torn all the way down with nothing but one of the manuals left inside it. (I will also like to mention i may have caused more damage when opening "THE OUTTER BOX" it due to the sheer panic of the actual state of the box. It was worse than i thought). I never attempted to open the cpu box.

I'm not claiming someone has stolen it (although it's not uncommon these days). I'm just concerned that we've lost £600.

I contacted overclockers and they basically told me they cannot do anything about it and I'll have to wait a long time for DPD (The Delivery Service) to do an investigation. Some friends have told me to contact my bank/or osbudman.

Just wanted some opinions on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sadly there's not much we can advise with you've done the right thing speaking with OcUK.

It sounds like DPD or someone along the way has opened the box and stolen the CPU, this is obviously incredibly difficult to prove and you should always take photos on boxes that look damaged before opening.

On the photo DPD took of the parcel on delivery (on your tracking page), can you tell the damage?

I would report it to the police on the non-emergency number too.

Associate
OP
There aren't any photos listed on my Tracking Page, I've only taken photos after opening sadly. I didn't touch the CPU box though. Was obviously nothing in there.

Soldato
There aren't any photos listed on my Tracking Page, I've only taken photos after opening sadly. I didn't touch the CPU box though. Was obviously nothing in there.
I can't remember on the boxes - is there a security seal?

Give OcUK some time it was the return to business yesterday for many, see if they'll issue a replacement if it's that obvious.

Soldato
this is obviously incredibly difficult to prove and you should always take photos on boxes that look damaged before opening.

I think this is starting to be a practice that we'll all have to adopt when opening boxes of expensive items. You can no longer really trust the retailer or the courier.

After reading (i think it was Andy's post) about getting a block of cheese in his iphone box, when my missus had ordered the new one about a week after, i'd decided to record the full unwrapping before she even got home from work, just so if there was an issue, i could fire off a video within 5 minutes of it being delivered to show there was an issue.

As you've said in the OPs case, it's nigh on impossible to prove when the CPU went missing, which would leave OCUK having to claim from DPDs insurance. @OP how long was the window between delivery and when you opened it (you mentioned that your other half had bought you it as a gift).

Associate
OP
i believe it was 3-4 days before i opened it as to when it arrived.

Yeah, I mean. I'm not really sure what to do, I don't want to be a pain in the ass but they basically told me it could take a long time before i hear anything about a replacement or a refund. Honestly i just want my cpu that i paid for.

I'm going to check the emails to see if there are any pictures in there with the box being delivered.

@Hyburnate there is no security seal. I've heard a lot about PC related items going missing lately. I wish OC didn't have their items wrapped with the branding so it isn't as easily identifiable as a pricey item.

Soldato
i believe it was 3-4 days before i opened it as to when it arrived.

Yeah, I mean. I'm not really sure what to do, I don't want to be a pain in the ass but they basically told me it could take a long time before i hear anything about a replacement or a refund. Honestly i just want my cpu that i paid for.

I'm going to check the emails to see if there are any pictures in there with the box being delivered.

@Hyburnate there is no security seal. I've heard a lot about PC related items going missing lately. I wish OC didn't have their items wrapped with the branding so it isn't as easily identifiable as a pricey item.
I completely agree with that statement. The person clearly knew what was inside and went looking for it.

Give it a couple of days (annoying I know) just to give them time to chase it up as it's really difficult to know in their position if you're just trying to get a free CPU.

Can I ask, how did you report the issue?

Associate
OP
I completely agree with that statement. The person clearly knew what was inside and went looking for it.

Give it a couple of days (annoying I know) just to give them time to chase it up as it's really difficult to know in their position if you're just trying to get a free CPU.

Can I ask, how did you report the issue?

I emailed them first and then called the same day after waiting a couple of hours for them to reply by email I just had to make the phone call. They asked for the images which i have provided and hopefully i get some news soon.

I'm just worried about the waiting period.

Soldato
I emailed them first and then called the same day after waiting a couple of hours for them to reply by email I just had to make the phone call. They asked for the images which i have provided and hopefully i get some news soon.

I'm just worried about the waiting period.
They'll be pesimistic, sadly there's nothing I or anyone really can say here as this isn't monitored by the team that will be dealing with this.

If you don't hear anything drop another note here as there are points of escalation that may be able to help in the forums - But OcUK will be waiting for DPD to comment before giving out free CPU chips which hopefully you can understand

Associate
OP
They'll be pesimistic, sadly there's nothing I or anyone really can say here as this isn't monitored by the team that will be dealing with this.

If you don't hear anything drop another note here as there are points of escalation that may be able to help in the forums - But OcUK will be waiting for DPD to comment before giving out free CPU chips which hopefully you can understand

Yeah I understand their side. If i don't reply my Fiancé has had me ear off haha.

Associate
OP
Quick update, i got the DPD image, You can see damage done to the box but it isn't the greatest quality of photo.

Sadly unable to upload photos here it seems from my computer.

Soldato
Quick update, i got the DPD image, You can see damage done to the box but it isn't the greatest quality of photo.

Sadly unable to upload photos here it seems from my computer.
You can upload to imgur, ensure this photo is sent to OcUK - Do you have a reference?

If so raise a thread here in the Customer Services section too.

Man of Honour
I think this is starting to be a practice that we'll all have to adopt when opening boxes of expensive items. You can no longer really trust the retailer or the courier.

Yeah :( friend of mine bought a load of expensive NVME drives for their business - around 1/3rd the drive was either missing, padded out with cardboard or contained someone else's old drive! (this was from more than one retailer).

Back
Top Bottom