Best way to cook a rib eye steak

Associate
OP
What size is it?

Dpenedant but griddle pan and oven is my go to

I have to double check when I get home from work, but its 200-300grams at least. I was planning to chuck it in my griddle pan but thought I ask for some ideas :)

Agreed, I always prefer a thicker Ribeye and sear it in the pan and then chuck it in the oven and then baste in more butter than is good for you.

How many degrees on the oven? And for how long? And how thick ribeyes would you suggest?

Yeah I tend to add some garlic too but I add garlic to everything

Whole garlic cloves or chopped up?

Soldato
I have to double check when I get home from work, but its 200-300grams at least. I was planning to chuck it in my griddle pan but thought I ask for some ideas :)

How many degrees on the oven? And for how long? And how thick ribeyes would you suggest?

Whole garlic cloves or chopped up?
I'm far from a chef and I have a bluetooth meat probe so it sorts timings out for me but I crush the garlic with a knife and chuck it in the pan :p

Soldato
I’d just griddle it or fry it. It’s not that big 10oz or so. Sear it then put garlic and butter in on a medium heat. Let it rest for a few mins after you’ve cooked it.

Caporegime
Same as any other steak, is how I'd do it.Out the fridge for an hour before. Coated in good salt, so it draws out the moisture. Hot, thick pan to nearly (or just) smoking. Some good high smoke point oil in the pan. Add the steak, depending on thickness, cook for two minutes. Add butter, garlic (whole but slightlighly crushed), rosemary (or other Hardy herb). Flip steak and constantly baste until it's cooked to your likeness. Though remember it'll continue cooking whilst resting. Remove from pan, and allow to rest for a few minutes. Make sure to baste as removing so you get that herby, garlicy oil all over as it rests.

Soldato
https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html /end thread

Seriously though, my "best" way is to salt/season it, in the sous vide for a couple of hours to rare temp (can't remember the temp), then dry it off, spread a bit of mayo on it (Google that too) and hard and fast in a pre heated pan. Done.

For non sous vide the biggest difference you can make is taking it out of the fridge and salting for at least 45mkns before cooking. It's a game changer. https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

Associate
https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html /end thread

Seriously though, my "best" way is to salt/season it, in the sous vide for a couple of hours to rare temp (can't remember the temp), then dry it off, spread a bit of mayo on it (Google that too) and hard and fast in a pre heated pan. Done.

For non sous vide the biggest difference you can make is taking it out of the fridge and salting for at least 45mkns before cooking. It's a game changer. https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html
I agree with the salting but not out of the fridge. I generally dry them off, salt it and leave it uncovered im the fridge for at least 3-4 hours. The bring to room temperature thing doesn't make any real difference, making sure they are dry before frying is more important.

Soldato
Microwave for seven minutes! :p

This is OCUK, though, so I expect you are required to have it so rare that it does not even need cooking...I suspect that, for most of us, the point where it stops mooing is how you know it's overdone!

Soldato
If it's decent meat I wouldn't do anything more than salt and pepper for seasoning....let the meat do the talking!

Take out of the fridge to get to room temperature at least an hour before cooking.
1-3 minutes a side in a very hot pan or griddle, depending on thickness and rareness you want
Rest for 10 minutes with some foil over it to relax

Eat.

Soldato
Same as any other steak, is how I'd do it.Out the fridge for an hour before. Coated in good salt, so it draws out the moisture. Hot, thick pan to nearly (or just) smoking. Some good high smoke point oil in the pan. Add the steak, depending on thickness, cook for two minutes. Add butter, garlic (whole but slightlighly crushed), rosemary (or other Hardy herb). Flip steak and constantly baste until it's cooked to your likeness. Though remember it'll continue cooking whilst resting. Remove from pan, and allow to rest for a few minutes. Make sure to baste as removing so you get that herby, garlicy oil all over as it rests.

Very close to how I do mine, the only real difference is that I put the oil on the steak before putting it in the pan. I've tried thyme but not rosemary, sounds nice though.

I've started using rapeseed oil more, seems to let me get a nice colour on the steak. It is probably wrong and very bad for me....tastes alright though lol.

Caporegime
Very close to how I do mine, the only real difference is that I put the oil on the steak before putting it in the pan. I've tried thyme but not rosemary, sounds nice though.

I've started using rapeseed oil more, seems to let me get a nice colour on the steak. It is probably wrong and very bad for me....tastes alright though lol.

I use rapeseed too. Cold pressed stuff, works fine for me.

I use whatever I have, thyme or rosemary normally. I don't think the oil on the steak or the pan makes much of a difference really. The biggest differences is being salted long enough and enough salt - for flavour anyway.

Soldato
The bring to room temperature thing doesn't make any real difference
I skimread the SE bit about bringing to room temp and how it doesn't make much difference. In my mind it still helps because you're not taking a cold steak straight into a hot pan. Something like how you let a steak rest maybe, to relax the proteins? I dunno. Happy to be proven wrong but having it at room temp doesn't hurt the process anyway so it's no biggy.

Man of Honour
If it is nice and thick, sous vide for an hour at your preferred temp (53?) and then bang it on a weber chimney starter full of coals to sear it.

Associate
I skimread the SE bit about bringing to room temp and how it doesn't make much difference. In my mind it still helps because you're not taking a cold steak straight into a hot pan. Something like how you let a steak rest maybe, to relax the proteins? I dunno. Happy to be proven wrong but having it at room temp doesn't hurt the process anyway so it's no biggy.
As you say, leaving it to come to room temperature doesn't hurt, it just doesn't do anything to improve it either. The thing it might do, if you haven't left it uncovered in the fridge, is let the steak dry out a bit I guess, which is what you want. I do want to try salting and leaving it in the fridge overnight, I just usually don't plan my meals ahead enough to remember to do that in time!

Back
Top Bottom