Poll: Toast: Hot or cold?

Toast: Hot or cold?

• Hot

Votes: 162 86.6%
  • Cold

Votes: 25 13.4%

• Total voters
Caporegime
My Nan used to do one sided toast with vitalite, but the bread was fresh everyday from the bakers, so was miles better than supermarket stuff.

don’t know how she got through so much bread. Literally a loaf a day!

Man of Honour
Margarine really is only suitable for CV joints. Disgusting stuff.

Carve cold butter like cheese onto cold toast.

I guess you can believe it's not butter :)

Surely if you want cold toast just have some rusks?

Rusks are surprisingly good. But they're not the same as cold toast. The ones I tried weren't, anyway.

I'm going to throw my hat into the weirdo ring:

1) I like dry toast (with a cup of tea).
2) I like cold Yorkshire pudding smeared with jam.

It's all subjective. Most of my coworkers think I'm weird for liking jerky, which they consider to be the same sort of thing as a dog chew. Some people like Marmite, which is clearly a waste product labelled as a food as a joke played on barbarians :)

Soldato
Wouldn't have it stone cold but I'm not a fan of when toast is so hot that the butter melts and the bread goes soggy. You want the toast to be crisp.

Best to leave it for a minute or two to cool down after toasting it IMO before spreading on the butter. The poll needs another option for warm (Hot/warm/cold).

Clearly the OP's wife is a woman of impeccable taste :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Vote is wording to support you + Diddums Mrs' totally incorrect opinion. I demand a re-poll.

I bet some of you cave men don't even preheat your toaster. :rolleyes:

I’m sitting in the kitchen while my wife watches some TV show that doesn’t interest me, I called to her, “Nick, does our singing and dancing, bells and whistles, six slice toaster have a facility for preheating?”
She said, “Preheated toaster? My mother was right about you, she said, ‘Sure he looks good, but he’s a raving nutter!’

Man of Honour
Cold pizza...... Now that's just plain wrong....bunch of deviants in this thread.... :D

When I was in Rome in the mid seventies with my Polish girlfriend, there was a small pizzeria near our hotel which sold it by the slice, silly money, maybe 500 lira.
I’d say “Una fetta per favore”, and the guy would say, “Caldo o freddo?” (Hot or cold).
I’d say “Freddo per favore”, my girl would say, “Cold pizza? You’re history when we get home!”

Soldato
I find white bread, unless it is fresh from a bakery, is rubbish for a toast.

Almost always, but...

Oh, you almost got it right. Actually their Mega Thick is the best toast ever. Crunchy on the outside, but well over half an inch of thick, soft, fluffy and bouncy white warm goodness inside. Dark golden brown bordering too well done, lathered in salty butter and eaten piping hot with a steaming brew. Salty smoked back bacon optional. Nom.

Soldato
Hot toast is my go-to, but I have had some lovely cold toast when the butter is applied properly.

Since I don't own a toaster I use my oven and grill instead. Add the butter towards the end and pop back in for another thirty seconds. No overapplication problem or toast-butter escape velocity problem.

Associate
Hot toast for me... never occurred to me why some may like it cold.. i always thought it was unusual putting bread in a toaster only to wait for it to go cold and eat it after... thats like warming up a curry then waiting till it goes cold to eat it.
Having said that i'm not one to criticize since i like to drink coffee cold (obviously hot before.. not pouring cold water initially)

Back
Top Bottom