What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
I made a post some time (years?) ago laughing at the price of the link bracelet for an Apple Watch and lo and behold I just went and ordered one :o

Should arrive in a day or some. I have a gold wedding band so wanted it to go with that. Wanted something bold / atypical / unusual. Looking forward to it arriving!

5lGfKF6.jpg

GGFqUX2.jpg
Turns out this is coming in 3 weeks?! Booooo.

Soldato
I was gifted a Samsung Gear watch early this year. Initially, I thought it was brilliant. The technology has improved heaps with more efficient power consumption and from that better case design.

But I stopped wearing it after a month.

Felt like another annoyance and distraction wrapped around my wrist. With my phone vibrating in the pocket and now my wrist pinging off with message alerts, work emails. It went against everything that I loved about wearing a timepiece. I quickly missed the charm and uniqueness of a traditional watch. It felt soulless and generic wearing a smartwatch.

I appreciate how useful they are though and how poplar they've become. But not for me.

Associate
I wore a smart watch for a couple of years but ended up switching to a more basic fitness band. The fitness band does what I was mostly using my smart watch for anyway.... step tracking, heart rate and exercise stuff. It also has the other basic features like audio control and basic text / notification functionality.

I've ended up using as small and basic a fitness band as I can and I just wear a normal watch now. Ultimately, smart watches are disposable (unfortunately), it's the way electronics tech goes. A good watch is timeless and I get my little outlet for personal expression via what is essentially jewellery at this point. I can tell the time in so many other ways but I do like the shiny!

Man of Honour
I was gifted a Samsung Gear watch early this year. Initially, I thought it was brilliant. The technology has improved heaps with more efficient power consumption and from that better case design.

But I stopped wearing it after a month.

Felt like another annoyance and distraction wrapped around my wrist. With my phone vibrating in the pocket and now my wrist pinging off with message alerts, work emails. It went against everything that I loved about wearing a timepiece. I quickly missed the charm and uniqueness of a traditional watch. It felt soulless and generic wearing a smartwatch.

I appreciate how useful they are though and how poplar they've become. But not for me.
I know exactly what you mean. I cannot stand the beep boop buzzing of message alerts on a watch, those are all being instantly deactivated. I also dislike the generic metallic colours that I would normally associate with phones. I did fancy trying one though for monitoring fitness, if it could be a bit different somehow / a little bit more jewellery like. I’ll see how I get on!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Really tempted to get one ordered. Do you know if the model in the link is the latest version? Has it been updated at all lately?

There have been updates to the model over the years, the case and bracelet design has slightly changed plus with the introduction of the custom fit rubber straps. It was also 39mm then they had a 41mm and now they have a 43mm. They still did the 39mm though and the movement across the range changed too to the L888 which beats slightly slower than the 28,800 of old. You now get 72 hours power reserve compared to the 45 of before. These are ETA base movements and are highly accurate. The movement in the one you linked is the same as what they currently have in the 43mm models too, so you won't be missing out on much really. Seems the swatch group have top pick of the ETA movements and as such accuracy seems to be around the +1s a day mark average out the box which has always been my experience too.

My 39mm was reference number L3.641.4.96.6.

Soldato
There have been updates to the model over the years, the case and bracelet design has slightly changed plus with the introduction of the custom fit rubber straps. It was also 39mm then they had a 41mm and now they have a 43mm. They still did the 39mm though and the movement across the range changed too to the L888 which beats slightly slower than the 28,800 of old. You now get 72 hours power reserve compared to the 45 of before. These are ETA base movements and are highly accurate. The movement in the one you linked is the same as what they currently have in the 43mm models too, so you won't be missing out on much really. Seems the swatch group have top pick of the ETA movements and as such accuracy seems to be around the +1s a day mark average out the box which has always been my experience too.

My 39mm was reference number L3.641.4.96.6.

Great stuff, thanks for the info mrk. Good to get feedback from a previous owner. How did the 39mm wear? Was it big for its size? Wondering if I should go for the 41 or the 43. My current watch is a 43 and is probably at the limit of what is comfortable on my 6.5 inch wrist.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The 39mm was top-heavy for its size for sure and has a lug to lug size of nearly exactly 48mm which is quite long so makes a watch feel bigger on the wrist. It wore nicely though as it's quite slim at a bit over 10mm thick.

Any bigger and it would just be too heavy and would annoy me. The caseback on these Hydros is rather thick and heavily engraved and which probably adds a good chunk to how heavy it feels.
For a 6.5" wrist I would say a 39 or 41 is an ideal size. The lug to lug of the 41mm is around 50mm by the way which is considerably long and likely to feel even bigger on wrist.

One thing to also bear in mind is both the 39 and 41mm have awkward lug sizes for straps, the 39 is 19mm (you can get a lot of straps in this size to be fair now) but the 41mm is 21mm which is the most annoying size to get straps for as it is not even a standard size. If you get rubber straps or a NATO then a 20mm and 22mm strap will of course squeeze in there without too much of an issue, you will just have to swap the springbars over and use the Longines bars in those straps.

Soldato
The 39mm was top-heavy for its size for sure and has a lug to lug size of nearly exactly 48mm which is quite long so makes a watch feel bigger on the wrist. It wore nicely though as it's quite slim at a bit over 10mm thick.

Any bigger and it would just be too heavy and would annoy me. The caseback on these Hydros is rather thick and heavily engraved and which probably adds a good chunk to how heavy it feels.
For a 6.5" wrist I would say a 39 or 41 is an ideal size. The lug to lug of the 41mm is around 50mm by the way which is considerably long and likely to feel even bigger on wrist.

One thing to also bear in mind is both the 39 and 41mm have awkward lug sizes for straps, the 39 is 19mm (you can get a lot of straps in this size to be fair now) but the 41mm is 21mm which is the most annoying size to get straps for as it is not even a standard size. If you get rubber straps or a NATO then a 20mm and 22mm strap will of course squeeze in there without too much of an issue, you will just have to swap the springbars over and use the Longines bars in those straps.

Just measured the lug to lug on my current citizen and it is only a shade under 50mm. So hopefully the 41mm should be fine. I'm not one for changing straps, so I should be OK on that issue too.

Only thing left to decide is which colour. Mulling over the blue for a change.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The blue dial looks amazing in the flesh, photos online do not do it justice! The aluminium insert is generic though and nothing special, it serves its function and is fine but just don't scratch the surface of it :D

They do have a ceramic bezel version though but it also costs more.

Soldato
The blue dial looks amazing in the flesh, photos online do not do it justice! The aluminium insert is generic though and nothing special, it serves its function and is fine but just don't scratch the surface of it :D

They do have a ceramic bezel version though but it also costs more.

Ah, was wondering why a near identical watch was more money. Is the ceramic bezel worth the extra? Would cost about £1k rather than £850.

Soldato
After seeing so many lovely watches in here with bracelets, I've decided to pop mine back on. I didn't even need to use the spring bar tool, carefully used my finger nail and no slippage at all :D

uMSv5Bjh.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah, was wondering why a near identical watch was more money. Is the ceramic bezel worth the extra? Would cost about £1k rather than £850.

It does look more premium for sure with it being a ceramic bezel, and I did see a youtube videos show that whilst the bezel markers are not lumed just like the aluminium version, the lume itself is blue, so BGW9 which is much better than the version I had which was weak green lume. I think all the new models have BGW9 lume now. I think £150 extra to get the more premium looking one might be a good shout. That model didn't exist back when I had mine neither did the rubber integrated strap else I'd probably still have it.

Here's one of those vids:

Soldato
Isn't there a unicorn Longines that has moon phase etc on it for a very good price? One to consider if bang for buck > name is on the list of many priorities? Just throwing a curve ball to consider! I may be miles off.

Edit: Sporting the SARB today. Such a bargain.

Edit: Early afternoons switcharoo!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom