• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Permabanned
I've had an FE since November and run it undervolted. I usually use two profiles depending on the game.

1800 MHz / 800 mV for less demanding games and 1950 MHz / 875 mV for more performance.

90% of the time I use the lower clocks as it's more than adequate. The second profile is mainly for RT or MSFS which struggles to even hit 60 on the 3090. After 1950 I notice a big rise in voltage needed (1965 MHz / 893 mV is not even completely stable) so it's not really worth going any higher. You end up right into the power limit.

See that’s the thing, I thought I was stable at over 1900, but someone mentioned Quake II RTX and it all went wrong lol.

Do you hit the power limit at all at 1950? I was under the impression that you basically shouldn’t be getting any perf cap reason in GpuZ or it would pretty much throttle and clock down.

Associate
Join Ctrl Alt Stock Discord channel and setup alerts.
I got mine by refreshing the nvidia shop page when I could be bothered, took about a week of occasionally checking, the drop didn't show up on any of the stock alerts even though there was stock for about an hour so its worth checking for yourself. That was months ago though, don't know what the situation is like now.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I got mine by refreshing the nvidia shop page when I could be bothered, took about a week of occasionally checking, the drop didn't show up on any of the stock alerts even though there was stock for about an hour so its worth checking for yourself. That was months ago though, don't know what the situation is like now.

Nvidia no longer sell from their website in the UK, they sell through a UK partner now.

Associate
Thanks I wasn't aware, I bought through the link on the Discord alert channel. Presumably the bot fetched the link from Nvidia that points to the page on the UK partner site. This explains why each FE drop has a unique URL.

Exactly that!

The stock alerts linking straight to the retailer is very handy, though - saves a lot of time and often the the Nvidia link goes up and down throughout the duration of the drop.

Associate
See that’s the thing, I thought I was stable at over 1900, but someone mentioned Quake II RTX and it all went wrong lol.

Do you hit the power limit at all at 1950? I was under the impression that you basically shouldn’t be getting any perf cap reason in GpuZ or it would pretty much throttle and clock down.

In MSFS 1950 / 881 (thought it was 875, checked my profile again!) sits at about 350 W even at 100% load.

I hadn't tested Quake II RTX before. Sure is a very power hungry game! The higher profile is a no go due to power, but the lower voltages seem OK. I poked around for about 20 minutes using 1830 MHz @ 806 mV, seemed stable enough. Power usage was 350-385 W so no throttling. 1845 MHz at the same voltage died pretty quickly mind you so that seems to be the limit.

Permabanned
In MSFS 1950 / 881 (thought it was 875, checked my profile again!) sits at about 350 W even at 100% load.

I hadn't tested Quake II RTX before. Sure is a very power hungry game! The higher profile is a no go due to power, but the lower voltages seem OK. I poked around for about 20 minutes using 1830 MHz @ 806 mV, seemed stable enough. Power usage was 350-385 W so no throttling. 1845 MHz at the same voltage died pretty quickly mind you so that seems to be the limit.

I think mine might have an issue. The 3 8pin power isn’t balanced it can be as an example 8 pin 1,2,3 power 102.3, 114.8, 86. I am power limited while this is happening. After a quick read online apparently my specific card 3090ftw3 ultra has power balancing issues.

Quake II is my go to now. It’s really good for exposing stability issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
I put a 120mm fan blowing on the back of my MSI 3090.
Never gone over 55C ever.
That'll be your GPU die temperature. It's the Memory Junction temperature you need to keep an eye on.
These arrived today.

dP0d0Y3.jpg Should I keep my warranty or improve my card. I'm getting over 100 degrees in some games. Have I ordered enough to do front and back? Going to watch that vid now.

4 packs should be enough to do front and back.

Associate
SO...I replaced my thermal pads front and back.

Took me a little while mainly because I wanted to be super super sure I didn't bork anything.
The pre applied pads are trash.

Not tried any games yet. But Jeepers.
When mining at 120MH/s I was hitting 106/108 temps with an old heat sink and fan on the back of the card and the side panel off.

With no extra heat sink and the side still off, it's been mining for 10 mins and temp has only hit 86 Degrees!
etxdrub.png

Very pleased!

Associate
SO...I replaced my thermal pads front and back.

Took me a little while mainly because I wanted to be super super sure I didn't bork anything.
The pre applied pads are trash.

Not tried any games yet. But Jeepers.
When mining at 120MH/s I was hitting 106/108 temps with an old heat sink and fan on the back of the card and the side panel off.

With no extra heat sink and the side still off, it's been mining for 10 mins and temp has only hit 86 Degrees!
etxdrub.png

Very pleased!

Sorry I missed your earlier post where you quoted me.

The pads are a real step up from the stock ones! Temps are much more realistic now.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The pads are a real step up from the stock ones! Temps are much more realistic now.

:cool: identical temps with me too. If I really rag it and the room warms up it climbs to 90c. Considering the pap stock pads were basically just about stopping the throttle sensor kicking in at 110c (I was between 102 and 106c before the pad change), its made about a 20c difference. With good case airflow tweaks you can basically go back to a quiet rig.

Back
Top Bottom