1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Kaapstad, 14 Sep 2020.

1. newuser

Gangster

I've hit 104 and 72 while gaming...
    I'm doing case airflow tweaks while I'm off and if that fails I'm conflicted.
    I can risk bricking a 1400 quid card or dump it on the highstreet for more than that and put the 2080ti strix back in which was functionally silent and wasn't that far behind in the real world with an OC.

2. mikehhhhhhh

Hitman

DId you guys just replace the stock pads like for like?

I replaced just the VRAM pads under the backplate (hopeing it would be easy to reversed in the event I needed to RMA) and saw only a small improvement. I'm wondering whether I should do the lot now.

3. Klunt Bumskrint

Wise Guy

I replaced it like for like as best I could. All of it and repasted the GPU. I had planned to keep the original pads but it was toothpaste.

4. Th0nt

Capodecina

Pretty much yes. The white goo/fiber pads were not great.

Same. I binned them after trying on a couple of strips and they disintegrated no way could you re-use them.

5. jaybee

Soldato

Is warranty definitely voided then if you do any such thermal pad replacement anywhere? My friend has a 3090 and is complaining of the same toasty memory.

6. Th0nt

Capodecina

So they say. I would still chance an RMA and wait for their verdict. Its not like they can admit the white paste pads were something to be proud of. They would have to prove failure was down to your behalf and not a component failing IMO.

7. jaybee

Soldato

Are there any actual warranty void stickers that get broken on the 3090s then upon dissassembly?

8. mikehhhhhhh

Hitman

Nothing obvious, apart from the pozi screws marking easily.

It would be obvious that you replaced the thermal pads though :D

I managed to remove my VRAM ones in fairly good nick by picking them up with a knife.

9. Th0nt

Capodecina

No stickers.

10. sparkymark75

Mobster

No stickers on the Founders Editions but they AIB cards will more than likely have them.

11. scubes

Mobster

so is this worth it how many degrees are you talking about I'm happy enough with my card it has a 5 year warranty ..

12. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

Your crazy to void warranty on a card that's harder to get then winning the lottery

13. Gtiracer

Wise Guy

I partially agree, but everyone putting a waterblock on is doing exactly the same unless they wait until warranty expires which by then, new cards should be available (maybe)

14. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

Is it just the 3090 that has poor thermal pads or all 3000 series card's?

15. Gtiracer

Wise Guy

Wish i knew, but I think at least the 3080 and 3090's do from what Ive been reading

16. Purgatory

Mobster

Not all AIB cards but all FE 3000 cards use the same thermal pads. FE cards seem to be the main problem (as some have no thermal pads on the back unless they have memory there), but again they were not designed to mine on, so most people that are complaining are mining on cards never designed for it, normal use they are fine.

17. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

OK brilliant.

I don't mine. I play video games

18. Klunt Bumskrint

Wise Guy

I managed to buy a card but I've never won the lottery, your logic is flawed.
    In over 20 years I've maybe had 1 GPU go wrong so I'm just going with the odds especially seeing how well made this card is....ignoring the OEM thermal toothpaste obviously.

When I bought this card I had no intention of mining, I didn't even really know what it was. After owning the card for several weeks and doing some reading I started mining and have made nearly £400 in the downtime since. I was also getting over 100 degrees in some games which concerned me.
    Very glad I did it. It's been mining all night with no extra fans and the case glass panel back on looking nice and neat and it hasn't gone over 92 degrees with fan speed at 75% (used to have to have 90%).
    It's free money :D and I'll do it until the bubble bursts, which it inevitably will.:(

19. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

£400 a day?

My logic is not flawed, the point Is that these cards are extremely hard to get.

20. Klunt Bumskrint

Wise Guy

Haha, not a day no, total. They are but it was bought to game on and it is being gamed on, when not it literally makes money.