*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Is Microsoft Flight sim 2020 the only game that uses OpenXR for tweaking the settings?

I'm not tried many games yet, but fired up DCS World last night, and even though I have the standalone NON-steam version, it fired up via SteamVR. That's confused me a bit....

Soldato
Minecraft bedrock is the only other OpenXR game currently. Hopefully over the next year or two more will come!

If you haven’t already then download the OpenXR developer app from the Microsoft store and that will allow you to adjust the resolution slider like in steam, otherwise it will be going auto on you.

Most standalone VR games will boot up in steamVR. Some (like dcs) have the oculus runtime too so would boot up in oculus VR if you had that headset... none that I’m aware of have the option to run WMR natively. Hopefully they’ll all add OpenXR eventually and that’ll bypass the need for running through steam.

Associate
Oops!
Must have gotten lost in drafts somewhere.

They're really nice. Clarity is spot on. Better than I was getting with glasses as I can get a better position easier.
I think the price is a bit steep, but was lucky enough to claim that back through a healthcare allowance I have.
I don't notice they're there. It's far more comfortable than wearing glasses. Even with my smallest pair, the sides and rubber nose gasket would push on them and cause me discomfort.
I'm impressed with the push fit considering they're 3D printed housings. I was a little sceptical on this, but it seems like a professional SLS print. Rather than something you or I could do at home.

Frigging hell....when I enter my prescription the price goes up to £101 + postage :eek:

Associate
Frigging hell....when I enter my prescription the price goes up to £101 + postage :eek:
Oh no. That does seem silly. Take a look at 3D printed options. You can order cheapo glasses, remove the lenses and fit them in your own printed adapters.
I did this with the Oculus CV1, but couldn't find somewhere to buy the cheap lenses (glasses) that fit G2 adapters. Seems they were more American based.

Soldato
Minecraft bedrock is the only other OpenXR game currently. Hopefully over the next year or two more will come!

If you haven’t already then download the OpenXR developer app from the Microsoft store and that will allow you to adjust the resolution slider like in steam, otherwise it will be going auto on you.

Most standalone VR games will boot up in steamVR. Some (like dcs) have the oculus runtime too so would boot up in oculus VR if you had that headset... none that I’m aware of have the option to run WMR natively. Hopefully they’ll all add OpenXR eventually and that’ll bypass the need for running through steam.

Cheers flyboy. I do have the OpenXR dev app yes - been experimenting a lot with this in flight sim 2020, with the res slider scale on that coupled with the in game render slider. And motion projection on vs off.

Still working on the best settings overall but at the mo I’m playing 100% in openXR, motion projection on auto (so on basically) and 60% render in game and a mix of high and medium other settings.
This gives a mostly rock solid 30fps interpolated up to 90, and it is so silky smooth and judder free. Horrible motion artefacts when external panning around a plane though. 100% openXR, 60% in game also seems to provide the best clarity for external views and seeing objects and details in the distance.

I’m a bit disappointed in the amount of aliasing that can be seen though. I know running at a lower res and then upscaling is not ideal, but i expected it to produce a softer image - I didn’t think it would result in jaggies! especially with TAA in action.
When you compare to how the game looks on a normal monitor at 1440p, through the headset it feels more like 720p with the aliasing on show. Still good, but not as smooth and defined as I was hoping. I guess when your eyes are 2cm away from a lens/screen vs 60cm away from a screen, there has to be some trade off.

I’m also fine with SteamVR being the main app for driving all other games. At the moment anyway. It seems nice and configurable, and I’ve bought the steamvr FPS widget that displays your FPS and other key stats in game so I want this available, especially when I’m testing performance and still learning the VR ropes.

Last edited:
Associate
I received my headset today and I echo Wunkley's feelings. I usually play MSFS on a 3440x1440p monitor with medium settings using TrackIR head tracking.

MSFS is the first game I've loaded up in VR and I have to say the visual quality is quite a disappointment. The 3D effect is perfect of course, sitting inside a cockpit feels far more physical than a flat screen ever will. But the FOV seems very limited and the graphics look like 720p, especially with the jaggy edges of buildings. I'm also finding it quite unnatural to have to look directly at things to see them without blur. I'm a pilot by day and I'm very much used to scanning around a cockpit and taking in whatever info I'm after. This can't be done with this headset.

I was expecting a trade off but I'm not convinced this one is worth it, yet...

I'm going to keep at it. I really want to enjoy the experience. I've got an FOV mod coming from etsy and I'll see if I can find some settings that work better for my rig.

If anyone has a 9900k and 2080ti that plays MSFS, please let me know your settings in VR. In the brief time I've played I set OpenXR to 70% and ingame to 100%. Its very juddery flying low over London.

Last edited:
Soldato
@wunkley seems very low to me... I'm running 100%/100% and holding 30fps probably at least 90% of the time (outside of london anyway!). The game looks much better at 100% than 60% so not surprised you aren't enjoying the view, motion vector smoothing tends to have a blurring effect on top of that too.

My personal preference is to run without motion smoothing in MSFS, it both frees up resources and I hate the artefacts and blurring - just lock the frame rate for that one game to 30fps in nvidia control panel so you maintain a steady frame rate with 3 refreshes per frame.

If anyone has a 9900k and 2080ti that plays MSFS, please let me know your settings in VR. In the brief time I've played I set OpenXR to 70% and ingame to 100%. Its very juddery flying low over London.

For 2000 series make sure you are using 457.30 - anything else seems markedly worse, apparently nvidia is looking into the performance regression in later drivers and MSFS. That said london is juddery on a 3090 so best just to forget london until they do another pass on it, it's horrendously badly optimised compared to other countries.

Also do yourself a favour and play a VR game that isn't MSFS. It's the worst possible starting point to set your VR expectations :eek:

This is a really useful thread for a starting point for VR performance in MSFS My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR) - Virtual Reality (VR) / Hardware & Performance - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Soldato
@DaxInside - Aye, the aliasing issue is perplexing me somewhat. Like I said, running at a lower than 'native' res and then upscaling usually results in a softness of image, and if anything can actually alleviate jaggies/aliasing. It really is a learning curve getting to grips with VR and its foibles.

I have to say I'm glad I got the G2 as it's basically the highest resolution headset out there for reasonable money. I dread to think what much lower res headsets look like.

In terms of Flight sim 2020 settings, I found a lot of good info on here https://forums.flightsimulator.com/...uggestion-reverb-g2-wmr/342582?u=ondaeyes4711

The main thing I'm playing with (and that has the biggest impact on performance and clarity of visuals) is obviously the resolution scale slider ratio between OpenXR and in game. This quick table below from the link above is a good starting point. Obviously 100% in both is what you want, but it's just not possible for me it seems. Even with a 3090FE which is what I'm running. I do have an fairly ageing CPU though (i7 5930K) but it's overclocked high at 4.5Ghz, and when gaming at 4k or super high resolutions like the G2, then usually you're entirely GPU bound. However, Flight Sim is a strange beast and CPU definitely plays a big part. I'm trying to convince myself I don't need to update yet as Asobo might bring out more performance fixes, and DX12 which will help a lot. I also can't justify updating my whole CPU, motherboard and Ram for one game, as everything else flies with the 3090 and my 5930k at 4.5Ghz (non VR games anyway!)

(I'm currently favouring OpenXR 100%, 60% in game as mentioned earlier...)

FS2020
OpenXR Comments
TAA 70% SS 70% Well balanced gauges and external visuals with solid fps
TAA 80% SS 60% Best for Airliners where EFIS sharpness is more important than external view
TAA 60% SS 100% Best for analog gauges GA aircraft with super detailed outside view.

The other KEY thing to experiment with if you want ultra smooth judder free flight in Flight Sim 2020 is the Motion Reprojection. In OpenXR you have to set this to Automatic (or always on) if you want frame interpolation ('motion smoothing') on. I think it's also best if you toggle the "Use latest preview OpenXR runtime" to on when using Motion Reprojection. For this to work effectively you HAVE to make sure that you are hitting above 30fps at all times. This then gets interpolated up to 90. If framerate drops under 30 by any tiny amount - you get horrible judder.

A good way to check all is good actually in game regarding the above is to tick the "Display frame timing overlay" box in Open XR. This makes a floating box with stats appear in your field of view - the key numbers to look out for are 30Hz on the first line and 90Hz on the second or third (can't recall). If the box stays blue all the time it is smoooooth as silk. If the box is red you are not hitting the right targets and you'll have terrible judder. If the box flicks between blue and red you are not hitting it consistently.
The negative of Motion Reprojection/ smoothing though is just the same as on TV's. You can get strange artefacting of the image at certain times. Quickly panning around the aircraft in external view is pretty bad, but aside from that I've found very few other issues so far.

P.S. What FOV mod is it you mention? I got the VRcover gasket which is slightly different curvature and has a thinner pad. Using that has definitely improved things a bit for me.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a bit more of a play and I'm beginning to enjoy VR in MSFS. I installed the older drivers for my 2080ti, thank you for the tip. I decided to abandon London and head to the Alps for some clean air. There was a definite increase in performance. And I take the point about MSFS not being the best starting point for VR. I only intend to use VR for sims though, I'm very content with the precision and control of keyboard and mouse for strategy and FPS games.

Later on I'll have a try with reprojection on and off and check out the frame rates i'm getting. If you're struggling with your 3090 though, I doubt I'm hitting 30 fps with my 2080ti!

Thank you for the link as well, I'll have a read.

For mass VR adoption they need to get rid of all this faffing around. My first day with VR shouldn't be spent trying to work out which programs I need installed, scales and settings in 2 seperate programs, Googling what OpenXR even is, let alone understanding. It will put most people off. I'm a PC gamer at heart but I can completely understand the draw of consoles when I have experiences like this. Thank god for forums such as these or I would have already boxed it up to be returned by now.

This is the FOV mod I've ordered. Its a new shallow gasket. They seem to be 'on a break' at the moment though. There are other options around, I've no reason to suspect one is better than the other.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/948...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Associate
But the FOV seems very limited and the graphics look like 720p, especially with the jaggy edges of buildings. I'm also finding it quite unnatural to have to look directly at things to see them without blur. I'm a pilot by day and I'm very much used to scanning around a cockpit and taking in whatever info I'm after. This can't be done with this headset.

I'm having the same issues and battling with whether to keep the G2 or not. I think what you mean is the Sweet spot is very small for you right ? Where the centre point (20%ish) is lovely and clear but quickly drops off into a blurry mess out side of this spot.

I have the Quest 2 also and the Sweet spot is definately much bigger with this but the overall image just isnt as crisp in that centre point so it maybe hides the sweet spot issue.

Either way @savagesam117 is kindly printing me a Jewcookie Facial interface which I'm praying allievates the issue somewhat. If not it's going back to HP.

Soldato
Only the Index has good edge-to-edge clarity, but of course is lower resolution and has awful lens glare.

Unfortunately there just isn't a 'perfect' headset out there right now which ticks all the boxes of resolution, lenses, FOV, comfort, audio, tracking and controllers (and price of course). All the different headsets have compromises.

It also doesn't help that games like FS2020 just don't run well on any VR system.

Associate
All good points and I'm glad I picked one of the better headsets to see if I like it or not. I'll give it a week or so before making a decision. If I return mine I'll wait for the next generation of headsets. VR could clearly be amazing, I'm just not sure when that will be.

EDIT; I just re-read this post and it sounds unfairly negative. VR is already amazing. Obviously its still in development as well and I'm just trying to decide if I want to jump in now with the trade offs that come with it, or wait a while.

Last edited:
Associate
What you have to do is balance the clarity of a monitor with the feeling of being sat in the plane/car. I have not gone back to flat screen in 3 years and that is with a Rift CV1 which has a lower resolution than a Reverb G2

Associate
Oh no. That does seem silly. Take a look at 3D printed options. You can order cheapo glasses, remove the lenses and fit them in your own printed adapters.
I did this with the Oculus CV1, but couldn't find somewhere to buy the cheap lenses (glasses) that fit G2 adapters. Seems they were more American based.

Cheers. I've got a couple of spare pairs of cheapo glasses so no problem there. Do you mean you can buy 3D printed adapters or you have to print your own? (I dont have a printer...)

Just noticed you can buy either just the L or R adapter from VR Optician for half the price. I'm not far off blind in one eye so I dont think it would make any difference if I didn't bother getting one for that eye. I'm considering just doing that

Associate
Ideally you'd print your own. But there are plenty of ways of getting one printed. Often the designer on Thingiverse will be happy to print for you. Or you can use one of the many websites which outsource to local printers.
Perhaps not worth the hassle.

There are other VR lens providers like WidmoVR and VR Lens Lab, do a bit of searching. You might be able to get your prescription cheaper.

Associate
Cheers. I've got a couple of spare pairs of cheapo glasses so no problem there. Do you mean you can buy 3D printed adapters or you have to print your own? (I dont have a printer...)

Just noticed you can buy either just the L or R adapter from VR Optician for half the price. I'm not far off blind in one eye so I dont think it would make any difference if I didn't bother getting one for that eye. I'm considering just doing that

Same here (left eye not far off from blind), how do you find it using the G2? I just noticed post this so I’ll read your previous posts to try to understand.
I ordered one but I’m a bit scared I won’t be able to use it properly.

Associate
Well I'm certainly coming around to VR. The blurriness away from the centre of the image is much less jarring now that I'm used to it and I seem to have found some settings that work well for me in all but the most dense locations.

I just flew from Inverness to Aberdeen in a Spitfire, flying 20' over Loch Ness was a particular highlight with the sun settings and reflecting off the water to give a truely amazing experience. I opened the canopy and had my head stuck out the side like a happy dog in a car.

However, I'm going for a break. I feel sick now! lol.

Associate
Well I've decided to keep the headset!

Over the past few days I've found the negatives of VR completely outweighed by the immersiveness of it. Its quite amazing.

I stand by what I said regarding the initial user experience. I'm sure we all want more people to adopt VR as this will lead to further investment, but I think the major road block to that is the pretty negative experience people will likely face when they get their new headset. Customers shouldn't be relying on youtube tutorials and forums to work out which apps need installing and how to get an acceptable experience. For this reason I believe consoles are the only way VR will become adopted by the masses.

Once its set up and working well however, there really is no going back.

Thanks for the advice and tips.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom