*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
What's up with the crazy price discrepancy on this? $299 in the US versus £595 in the UK.
I did speak to a HP lady in the states, and she confirmed that the price difference was correct, and she didn't know why it wasn't on sale in other parts of the world. HP UK chat don't even bother hiring support assistants.

Associate
Well, it's gotten even worse now... Not just HP themselves, but SystemActive have also upped their price. It's £680 there as well now.
Really want this, but I just cant justify it when they keep putting it on sale for $300-$400 in the US... Can still buy it from the Netherlands for the original price. With import and tax you'd be looking at around £590-600 again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, it's gotten even worse now... Not just HP themselves, but SystemActive have also upped their price. It's £680 there as well now.
Really want this, but I just cant justify it when they keep putting it on sale for $300-$400 in the US... Can still buy it from the Netherlands for the original price. With import and tax you'd be looking at around £590-600 again.

Honestly.

If you tried a G2 and a Pico 3 link side by side, you'd save yourself £270.

Soldato
I've written the G2 off now it's just too late. Next gen headsets are coming in 2023 even at half price I would not pick one up at this point.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a slightly strange problem with my G2 which oddly I can't find any similar references of. Basically in both eyes, there is what I can only describe as a light "anomaly". It looks a little bit what lens flare would look like. However it "follows" the headset when I am looking around and does not appear on the actually PC screen - so is definitely something within the Reverb. It's not external light intrusion so can only imagine it's internal, but can't for the life of me work out what. It's not too annoying that I can't use the headset, but it would be nice to get rid of it! It's almost like a "streak" but has a black and a white component. It's fairly subtle and when playing a game it's easy to ignore, but an annoyance nonetheless. Any suggestions?

Associate
It's not sun damage is it?
Unlikely but good idea - it's never exposed to direct sunlight though. I hadn't used it for about a year though and did install a new cable (which seems to work fine). As the anomaly follows the headset (rather than the graphics) it must be "optic" related I guess though rather than "electric" but it's odd it's in both eyes (albeit slightly more visible in one versus the other)!

Associate
Currently weighing up buying the reverb g2 this late in the cycle. Had a break from vr whilst doing up a house.

I have an index and was waiting for index 2 but am losing faith than it will come soon. Also not sure it will be pcvr enthusiast friendly.

I am mainly a sim gamer so would run the index and reverb at the same time. Play dcs,il2, msfs2020 and iracing.

Looking at the vr 2023 landscape it feels as though pcvr gaming is dying. I read about the Somnium which sounds good on paper but who knows what it will be like in reality.

Getting bad fomo in that the reverb will be one of the last reasonably priced high fidelity pcvr heatsets.

Advice welcome....

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently weighing up buying the reverb g2 this late in the cycle. Had a break from vr whilst doing up a house.

I have an index and was waiting for index 2 but am losing faith than it will come soon. Also not sure it will be pcvr enthusiast friendly.

I am mainly a sim gamer so would run the index and reverb at the same time. Play dcs,il2, msfs2020 and iracing.

Looking at the vr 2023 landscape it feels as though pcvr gaming is dying. I read about the Somnium which sounds good on paper but who knows what it will be like in reality.

Getting bad fomo in that the reverb will be one of the last reasonably priced high fidelity pcvr heatsets.

Advice welcome....
I have a G2. it's a good SIM headset but buying one when you have an index? hard pass from me! keep your index and then maybe consider a pimax crystal or quest 3 when that drops imo.

it's an outside chance but maybe psvr2 will be modded to run on pc

Last edited:
Associate
I have a G2. it's a good SIM headset but buying one when you have an index? hard pass from me! keep your index and then maybe consider a pimax crystal or quest 3 when that drops imo.

it's an outside chance but maybe psvr2 will be modded to run on pc
Cheers for comment - sounds as though im getting carried away. Still wondering what the next pcvr upgrade will be after the index
Pimax crystal looks great but still over 1500 bucks.

Last edited:
Associate
If you have an Index kit and the money the new Big Screen Beyond looks very interesting.
Thanks. These do look interesting - great specs and work with the index base stations. Price is not too bad - guess i should sit on the index a bit longer

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for comment - sounds as though im getting carried away. Still wondering what the next pcvr upgrade will be after the index
Pimax crystal looks great but still over 1500 bucks.
true but you could sell your index HMD for some cash back. the quest 3 will be an all in 1 solution and that I think will be better than the G2 as well.

Soldato
I just picked up a Reverb G2 as a bit of an upgrade from Rift S. I managed to get a new sealed V2 revision with full warranty at a good price in a private sale. I realise it is end of life for this headset, but I do prefer the direct display and power approach for PCVR, rather than the methods required for standalone headsets.

I’ve only had a couple of hours in the headset so far and I did find the sweet spot a little distracting. It is so sharp and clear in the centre that I did find the fall off towards the edge of the lenses more noticeable than it is in the Rift. The “haptics” in the controllers is dreadful, seems to be completely over the top buzzing for the slightest event. I may just turn it off.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m looking to get G2 V2 faceplate for my G2 V1

Could someone with G2 V2 go to https://parts.hp.com/
and type in their serial number?
I wonder whether the latest face gasket part number come up as an available replacement part.
For my G2 V1 serial, i get the following for the face plate:
M09578-000
SPS-FABRIC FACE MASK & HEADPAD

Could anyone with version 2 (two piece face gasket) check?
Probably too late now, but here you go.

M09578-001 SPS-FABRIC FACE MASK & HEADPAD

Showing in stock at £86.19

Soldato
I’m looking to get G2 V2 faceplate for my G2 V1

Could someone with G2 V2 go to https://parts.hp.com/
and type in their serial number?
I wonder whether the latest face gasket part number come up as an available replacement part.
For my G2 V1 serial, i get the following for the face plate:
M09578-000
SPS-FABRIC FACE MASK & HEADPAD

Could anyone with version 2 (two piece face gasket) check?
my advice. removed the gasket completely and buy a VR cover oddyssey face pad, then blue Peter it with some velcro it is what I do with mine, it is comfy and absolutely maxed the FOV and sweetspot of the lenses. cost me around £30 all in

in-stock I think too. iirc you get 2 so you will have a spare.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom