The New European Super (borefest) League

Soldato
I posted in the MU Club thread about money ruining the game and clubs like Manchester United having an obligation to address the issue. The post was somewhat ridiculed as naive and didn't attract much other comment. Now we have this. I have to say that I agree with everything Gary Neville has said about this. No doubt the clubs involved will be hatching a statement trying to distance themselves from the worst of this but we all know what they want.They want to milk these institutions for every last cent (sic).

Soldato
I posted in the MU Club thread about money ruining the game and clubs like Manchester United having an obligation to address the issue. The post was somewhat ridiculed as naive and didn't attract much other comment. Now we have this. I have to say that I agree with everything Gary Neville has said about this. No doubt the clubs involved will be hatching a statement trying to distance themselves from the worst of this but we all know what they want.They want to milk these institutions for every last cent (sic).

This is the multi millionaire Gary Neville who is bankrolling Salford so they can do that very same thing spending more then any other club in that league in the process?

Soldato
This is the multi millionaire Gary Neville who is bankrolling Salford so they can do that very same thing spending more then any other club in that league in the process?
It's completely different. Neville is pushing Salford up through the leagues in a bid to make it to the top tier. The super league as proposed would wholly detract from this as its founder members couldn't get relegated. I agree that Neville has skin in the game and has his own reasons for his angle, but the points he makes are still valid.

Soldato
Bank rolling his local club and working their way up the leagues from scratch with no favours. There is a clear difference between that and the likes of the Kronky, Glazer, FSG. For you not to realise that shows considerable ignorance.

Soldato
Bank rolling his local club and working their way up the leagues from scratch with no favours. There is a clear difference between that and the likes of the Kronky, Glazer, FSG. For you not to realise that shows considerable ignorance.

“I benefited from football hugely, I’ve made money out of football, I invested money into a football club and now I’m not against money in football, but the principles and ethos of fair competition and the rights to play the game, so Leicester win the league, they go into the Champions League.

"ethos of fair competition"

Salford City have made some big-money signings but, with just one automatic promotion slot available, who can blame them

Don't blame Salford City for spending. Blame the archaic promotion system | Football | The Guardian

The mans a complete hypocrite.

“Seriously, how can you even think about coming to watch a Super League game here when you’ve left 14 clubs in the Premier League behind? The Championship clubs are dead, your EFL, League One and League Two clubs are dead. The National League, the pyramid system that you’ve fought for, for 150 years, is gone because of six clubs.

“Absolutely embarrassing. It’s never going to happen. Let them break away but honestly, punish them straight away. Just punish them.

“If they announce a letter of intent has been signed by six clubs then they should be punished heavily. Massive fines, points deductions, take the titles off them, who cares?

“Give the title to Burnley, Fulham. Let Fulham stay up and relegate United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Absolute waffle.

Soldato
I take it you’re a fan of the idea then
Need to hear more about it but I can't be bothered with his ramblings tbh.
Fair competition. Ie allowing clubs to be promoted and relegated, which the super league would largely not. How is he wrong?

He goes on about fair competition. How is spending 5 times your competition fair? Paying a lad 212k a year when the average for that league is 30k?

Soldato
I couldn't give a single toss if the top six greedy ***** want to show their true colours and open disdain for their fans and **** off to this new 'league'. What I'm more concerned about is the effect that this is going to have on the National side.

Soldato
He goes on about fair competition. How is spending 5 times your competition fair? Paying a lad 212k a year when the average for that league is 30k?

It's a wholly different issue. The question of money in football has been around for decades. The new proposal doesn't even allow the "top 15" clubs to be relegated. That goes way beyond financial doping into full on monopolistic abuse of power.

Regardless of your views on him, or Salford, do you think he's wrong about this proposal?

Soldato
If this goes ahead, what happens if all the England players at these clubs issue a joint statement where they refuse to join this league as it means they'll no longer be able to play for their country?

Back
Top Bottom