The New European Super (borefest) League

Caporegime
They wouldn't like it but me and you have more chance of playing for England than FIFA banning the best players in the world from entering their showpiece, $6-10bn tournament.

Arsenal being battered 4-0 every week? AFTV might end up sponsoring the League.
We would be a lot better as we would have more revenue. Unless Stan pockets it all.

Man of Honour
To be honest, I need more info on exactly how this super league will work before I can make a judgement. In my lifetime I've seen leagues change, cups change, entire competitions disappear and new ones appear, so I'm not inherently against the idea of a new competition but I need more info on it, what you get for winning it, how you "qualify" to enter it, how/if you can be knocked out of it etc before I make a full decision on it.

Pet Northerner
Don
To be honest, I need more info on exactly how this super league will work before I can make a judgement. In my lifetime I've seen leagues change, cups change, entire competitions disappear and new ones appear, so I'm not inherently against the idea of a new competition but I need more info on it, what you get for winning it, how you "qualify" to enter it, how/if you can be knocked out of it etc before I make a full decision on it.

by the sounds of it it's just a closed shop league for the super rich.

edit: Who basically want all of the TV money.

Man of Honour
by the sounds of it it's just a closed shop league for the super rich.

Yeah but thats my point, I cant form a decision based upon "by the sounds of it", so I am going to reserve my decision until they release the full details then I will decide whether I am ok with it or whether I should be brandishing a torch and pitchfork :)

Don
No exact details have or are likely to be revealed but the reports are that there will be 12-15 permanent members and then a small number of sides that would qualify on an annual basis, topping the League up.

Pet Northerner
Don
Yeah but thats my point, I cant form a decision based upon "by the sounds of it", so I am going to reserve my decision until they release the full details then I will decide whether I am ok with it or whether I should be brandishing a torch and pitchfork :)

Put it this way, it's not a sanctioned league and not recognized by any footballing body - so that's the huge red flag here.

To me, it seems like it's literally a bunch of "big clubs" who want to play themselves and sell the TV rights to the highest bidder.

As a toon fan the best I get to look forward to most seasons is a thrilling relegation slog, so this won;t massively impact me - as NUFC don't get anywhere near Europe :)

Man of Honour
No exact details have or are likely to be revealed but the reports are that there will be 12-15 permanent members and then a small number of sides that would qualify on an annual basis, topping the League up.

Well as I say, I will wait until I hear official details from an official source before I cast an opinion, I think thats just a sensible approach.

Don
You probably won't ever hear any official details because the League won't happen. The next time we'll hear about it is in 3-6 years when the next cycle of TV contracts are being negotiated.

Soldato
While I don’t think this will come to pass, it’s so depressing that the clubs knew how badly this would go down and still made the announcement as a negotiation ploy. It’s pretty obvious these clubs don’t care about match going fans anymore but I never expected them to be this clear about it. The damage has been done regardless of the outcome now.

Pet Northerner
Don

How would the qualifying work, if FIFA / UEFA don't recognize it in it's current form and would most likely exclude teams from re-joining their previous leagues? Relegation would be the death of a club assuming that if they were to top up the league, they'd need to give someone the heave-ho.

I've noticed you later post and I agree, it probably won't happen - just mulling thoughts around my head.

Soldato
PFFFT release the signed letter please.
While I don’t think this will come to pass, it’s so depressing that the clubs knew how badly this would go down and still made the announcement as a negotiation ploy. It’s pretty obvious these clubs don’t care about match going fans anymore but I never expected them to be this clear about it. The damage has been done regardless of the outcome now.
Seems like a complete PR disaster.

Man of Honour
You probably won't ever hear any official details because the League won't happen. The next time we'll hear about it is in 3-6 years when the next cycle of TV contracts are being negotiated.

Well if it never happens then I never need to form an opinion on it and the whole subject is an irrelevancy which doesnt require any thought from me, and on the flipside if it does happen then there will be official details, so either way, waiting before sharpening my pitchfork seems the most sensible approach :)

Don
How would the qualifying work, if FIFA / UEFA don't recognize it in it's current form and would most likely exclude teams from re-joining their previous leagues? Relegation would be the death of a club assuming that if they were to top up the league, they'd need to give someone the heave-ho.

I've noticed you later post and I agree, it probably won't happen - just mulling thoughts around my head.
I assume the plan is that they would recognise it and this League would just replace the CL, just with far fewer qualification spots up for grabs. As I keep saying, there's zero prospect of clubs being banished from Leagues. Leagues and governing bodies will make threats and try their hardest to block the League but if push came to shove they'd accept it because the alternative is far worse for them.

Soldato
Terrible idea in my view and think it's vastly unfair to other clubs, essentially makes it even harder for a current small club ever reach similar heights as the too current clubs.

Could all be a a tactic as Baz has pointed out due to TV rights etc, however if its not its just Terrible in my view

Back
Top Bottom