• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
That was a really interesting watch, thanks. The useful take for me is that the two fan cards are unlikely to be available anyway (for my daughter's m-ATX build) so I'm best off looking out for the 6700 XT for my machine and it won't be far off the performance of the 3070 I was looking for.

Yeah the 6700 XT was an easy sell in the end. All the reviews pitting the 3070 against it say the nVidia card is much better value - but that's at MSRP. We're all being forced to pay double or triple that at the moment, and the 6700 XT is a lot cheaper as it comes in at £200+ less than the 3070. It's even cheaper (with more availability) than the 3060ti which it beats on paper.

Edit: forgot to add - the 6700 XT is probably readily available (!) because it's rubbish for mining (about 25% slower than the 5700 XT), which is only good news for gamers.

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
EVGA and ASUS have a cult following, the name sells.

il be honest when it comes to motherboards il buy asus, but for a gpu id buy whats best value/perf. especially with how close to the margins they will be sailing now when it comes to quality control testing and certifying as a good card.

Soldato
I got into RC cars.

Get out in the sun, spend time out with the kids.

Its geeky but not anymore than gaming, Mrs prefers it because I get the kids out of the house.

I'm starting less and less to give a **** about the GPU situation and gaming in general now.

Associate
Seems to be quite a few 6700XTs around the various retailers this morning. Also seen a few 6900XTs but why anyone would pay £1000 over the price of a 6700 I don't know. Some 2060 Supers on this site too.

Soldato
I was looking to buy a 3080 back in Jan / early feb but realised pc stuff is meant to be fun, and it wasn’t fun wasting hours on discord servers waiting for a mythical ‘drop’, so I gave up and decided I’m actually well-served by my vega64. Haven’t thought about a new gpu since then and have been happier ever since. The scalpers and gpu companies can jog on.

Soldato
I would suggest playing the top rated games you've never heard about - Top Rated Games on Steam · SteamDB
Or go console, even if you get bored of it and sell later in the year it will still be cheaper then buying into frothy prices. I want to play GT7 for PS5 and so do a lot of people, its not till next year which means ongoing mainstream demand is likely where as crypto cycles on a 4 year basis
2077 was released too early, in a couple years they'll perfect it probably so no rush, etc.

Associate
I'm starting less and less to give a **** about the GPU situation and gaming in general now.

This is fine in the short term but in the long term this could have damaging effects on pc gaming. Already, it's very often an afterthought to the big games companies and has been for some time (I wonder if Rockstar will ever release the first Red Dead Redemption on PC).

At least Nvidia are realising that despite big profits right now, the current situation is damaging long term and is doing something about it.

The shortages and prices are beyond meme material now, they are frankly unacceptable.

Soldato
I'm pretty much declaring myself retired from pc gaming. Scunnered with the whole thing. I still have reasonably serviceable gtx 1080 in my rig, but having upgraded everything else in anticipation of the 30 series, I'm just constantly frustrated at the market at present.

Have read this might be the case until 2023, so my pc is now a glorified Web browser and any gaming I do will be on ps5.

Pc gaming is not quite dead to me, but it's on life support.

Soldato
1080 web browser lol. 1080 will be just fine for years like the 8800gtx was great forever seemed like, vega also nothing wrong with it and will gain when/if vulkan proceeds. 4k res and RT is something else but I think the 2nd generation of any new feature is often a better take vs price, heat, etc

Associate
I got into RC cars.

Get out in the sun, spend time out with the kids.

Its geeky but not anymore than gaming, Mrs prefers it because I get the kids out of the house.

I was into RC cars about 20 years ago, they could be quite pricey from what I remember, good fun though. I ran electric, always wanted to try those petrol ones but didn't have the nerve in case it blew up :D

I think its time for another build in DOS 2, should keep me quiet and I need something I can do with one hand... as I will have a a 2 month old in the other. I should really consider a PS5, I would love a crack at the Demons Souls remake.

Soldato
is funny how they wont name the aib's who are putting the prices up, even though we know its all of them anyways.

I am amazed HUB even have admitted its the AIBs taking the mickey, I dont think we will see them go as far as naming any unless they plan to quit the GPU review market.

Associate
1080 web browser lol. 1080 will be just fine for years like the 8800gtx was great forever seemed like, vega also nothing wrong with it and will gain when/if vulkan proceeds. 4k res and RT is something else but I think the 2nd generation of any new feature is often a better take vs price, heat, etc

i game with a few guys who still rock the 1080. One thing that they always say is that they’re in no rush to upgrade and won’t be paying scalper prices. That card is still hella capable at 1440p

Back
Top Bottom