• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Associate
Some saying the end of DLSS lol, when this is great news for Nvidia, means their older PCs (the ones below Turing) can get the FSR, while their newer ones (Turing and up), can get the DLSS.

Its a win for em :p
Only if nvidia was still selling older GPUs, I mean if all the miners start dumping 10 series cards it will be a good selling point for those, but nvidia isn't going to be seeing any of that money :)

Soldato
They still don't, that's the point.

Remember DLSS 1.0 was trully abysmal when it was released. So let's at least give FSR a chance to see what it can do. DLSS 2.0 is technically exellent and is far superior to when it was released 2 years ago but it is only used in a laughably small number of games.

So if we end up with both options and a bigger adoption rate in games, why is that a problem? Most will not give a **** if it isn't the same techincally as DLSS as long as they get a 40% - 50% peformance boost for a 10% IQ penalty.

I keep hearing that AMD aren't pushing innovative new ideas like Nvidia do. Yet when they come out with something that could be of benefit to all, people like you give off that it's poor without even seeing it in action. It just seems that many on this forum just jump straight to AMD = bad.

It reminds of the life of Brian scene "what have the Roman's ever done for us".

What have AMD ever done for us? Apart from:

Eyefinity
SAM
GDDR3
HBM
HBM2
Freesync
FSR
Chiplets
Infinity Cache
64 Bit CPUs
Dual core CPUs
APUs

And probably a few others I have missed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Small number of games????

IIRC it is in over 130 games now with like 10 just recently announced (including rdr 2, rainbow six siege, doom eternal).... It's in most, if not all the current big triple a titles and most importantly, in games, which needs dlss....

Associate
I don't understand why it matters if DLSS is supported in one game or in 1000 games. There are people out there without an RTX card and they won't buy one for different reasons. Some of these people will enjoy having their own "DLSS", better or worse than the one RTX owners have.
The tech is not even out and there are people here complaining like it is the worst thing AMD ever created. Others are proud because their damn expensive cards can have more fps at a faked higher resolution without realising that this is the biggest scam they have failed to: to pay two kidneys for a card that can't run todays games at a decent framerate. :D

Caporegime
I agree free to use open standards are preferable. I also beleive AMD is a better company overall. The problem is that the proprietary crap that Nvidia pulls is simply better.
  • I was happy to keep the FPS provided by my 1080Ti and so when I upgraded it was simply for RT. Ampere's RT performance is up to 100% more than RDNA2.
  • I've been looking for a decent Freesync ultra wide monitor for my 3080, yet everything I look at mentions flicker at low frame rates.
  • I am very happy to see AMD launch FSR. It looks great for what it is, but again DLSS provides better image quality and for good reason.
And the final kick in the teeth? The price for the 6800XT is the same as the 3080.

So am I a fanboy white knighting Nvidia, while crapping on AMD, or just a consumer buying the best products at the time?

Our favourite website has a new article - No, AMD’s FSR (FidelityFX Super Resolution) Is Not A DLSS Alternative, And Here Is Why You Should Care - https://wccftech.com/no-amds-fsr-fi...-alternative-and-here-is-why-you-should-care/.

DLSS doesn't run on consoles, it will be all but gone in 2 years.

I was happy to keep the FPS provided by my 1080Ti and so when I upgraded it was simply for RT. Ampere's RT performance is up to 100% more than RDNA2.

With Nvidia sponsored games, those games also run like crap on Nvidia, just not as crap, Games with RT coming out now are much better than that, because Nvidia had no involvement.

I've been looking for a decent Freesync ultra wide monitor for my 3080, yet everything I look at mentions flicker at low frame rates.

Get a GPU that can run games at more than 18 FPS

I am very happy to see AMD launch FSR. It looks great for what it is, but again DLSS provides better image quality and for good reason.

Nvidia shills are passing judgement on FSR before even seeing it, DLSS is worse than native image quality, its probably not going to look as good as the best examples on DLSS but its going to look better than Nvidia's first attempt at it and like DLSS FSR will also improve in time.

PS: why are you looking for a Free Sync monitor? What, doesn't G-Sync have HDR or something? Are you not able to find one?

Soldato
Small number of games????

IIRC it is in over 130 games now with like 10 just recently announced (including rdr 2, rainbow six siege, doom eternal).... It's in most, if not all the current big triple a titles and most importantly, in games, which needs dlss....

It is currently in 47 games as per a list compiled on June 1st 2021 with another 16 confirmed. So fairish but not great support considering it has been out for 2 years is it? There is also the very VERY large disadvantage that it only supports RTX GPUs which limits the reach and indeed the incentive for developers to implement it.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/confirmed-ray-tracing-and-dlss-games-2021

So if FSR can be used to compliment DLSS for those with older, or non RTX GPUs as well as consoles we can all benefit. Yet we have people complaining that it sucks without even seeing it in actual action first. It's almost like the RTX snobs hate the idea that they have one less "exclusive feature".

Caporegime
https://wccftech.com/no-amds-fsr-fi...-alternative-and-here-is-why-you-should-care/

TBH, it is possible that FSR is using some form of ML, and they have some patents, but overall their messaging has been mixed and if their is a CNN at play the model complexity is going to be very low to reduce the overhead.

From AMDs released result on the 1060 in quality mode, it doesn't actually look like ML is being used at all, the blurring looks like standard spatial upscalers with sharpening on top. DLSS 1 would create details in most places but failed in cases where the base data was insufficient (e..g re-creating text where no visible text is present in the low res input). AMD's screen shots show a general lack of detail full stop,not just edge cases failing.

And the real trick that makes everything work so well in DLSS 2, and often better than native is the temporal accumulation of additional data combined with state of the art convolutional image reconstruction that requires significant processing resources.

AMD's Scott Herkelman has stated that they have no intention of optimizing FSR for NVIDIA GPUs and that NVIDIA should do that work. While it would have been a completely reasonable expectation in normal circumstances, the fact that AMD expounded on NVIDIA support, absorbed a ton of good press on this and is now basically back tracking makes it seem like a bait and switch situation. This also implies that FSR for NVIDIA users will be optimized only for Godfall unless NVIDIA wants to adopt the technology (which, in my opinion, they absolutely should for non-RTX cards).

So making it compatible with Nvidia isn't good enough, AMD also have to put the R&D in to optimise games on Nvidia's behalf, or its not good enough.

This is an example of turning something good into something bad by making unreasonable demands, what some might call a "Dick move" Banging on about how much they love AMD is just denial of what is obvious in this whole article, WCCF have always "Loved" Nvidia, they are the sort of people to take a few stacks to write BS. Like Digital Foundry.

Soldato
AMD just need something that's decently good, if it's not as good as DLSS but is much more widely adopted due to running on hardware old and new as well as the consoles then that's fine in my book and is a valid way to compete; developers also say it's very easy to implement, according to the rumours, which would be a big win. We'll just have to wait to see how good it really is.

Caporegime
So making it compatible with Nvidia isn't good enough, AMD also have to put the R&D in to optimise games on Nvidia's behalf, or its not good enough.

This is an example of turning something good into something bad by making unreasonable demands, what some might call a "Dick move" Banging on about how much they love AMD is just denial of what is obvious in this whole article, WCCF have always "Loved" Nvidia, they are the sort of people to take a few stacks to write BS. Like Digital Foundry.

Why should Nvidia dedicate resourced snd money in to optimizing s competitors solution?

Nvidia offers their customers DLSS, and thst id where paying customers will wsnt nvidis to focus. There is plenty of room to continue improving IQ, increasing performance, and adding new features. The research on deep learning based image manipulation and adapation is moving rapidly. Forget all the shallow post processing effects of the past, quality and aesthetics can be taken to the next level

Caporegime
AMD just need something that's decently good, if it's not as good as DLSS but is much more widely adopted due to running on hardware old and new as well as the consoles then that's fine in my book and is a valid way to compete; developers also say it's very easy to implement, according to the rumours, which would be a big win. We'll just have to wait to see how good it really is.

People know this is likely to make DLSS go the same way as PhysX, Games Works, G-Sync.

Blame Nvidia for always, every time looking for an angle to lock you into their hardware, thank #### for AMD, for peeing on Nvidia's campfire at every turn.

Why should Nvidia dedicate resourced snd money in to optimizing s competitors solution?

They already do, Free Sync.

Caporegime
I don't understand why it matters if DLSS is supported in one game or in 1000 games. There are people out there without an RTX card and they won't buy one for different reasons. Some of these people will enjoy having their own "DLSS", better or worse than the one RTX owners have.
The tech is not even out and there are people here complaining like it is the worst thing AMD ever created. Others are proud because their damn expensive cards can have more fps at a faked higher resolution without realising that this is the biggest scam they have failed to: to pay two kidneys for a card that can't run todays games at a decent framerate. :D

It doesn't matter at all to nvidia users, nvidia will still push dlss for a good while (no doubt it will eventually die out but that ain't going to happen overnight.... same way the gsync module is still kicking around albeit in smaller numbers....) and for any games which don't have dlss, nvidia users will have fsr, so it's a win win for nvidia users. Amd users have the option to enjoy what nvidia users have had for the past 1-2(?) years now.

Also, iirc, tensor cores handle ray tracing as well? If so, might be why ampere is just over 2 times better than rdna 2 ray tracing capabilities. Last I checked, 6800xt and 3080 are basically neck in neck on legacy/non ray traced games (win some, lose some) and twice as quick in ray traced titles so again, what exactly have nvidia users overpaid for?

Last time I checked, you could still buy nvidias FE cards for MSRP unless have nvidia upped their price? 3080 FE only cost me £650 back in Jan/Feb where as a 6800xt was £800+ (no point saying the amd site sold them at msrp as this wasn't the case for uk nor was it even possible to get one since amd had zero bot protection and literally f all stock)

So I wouldn't say "sensible" rtx owners overpaid at all... Heck a lot of people got a second hand 2080ti for a bargain when the 30xx was announced.... Of course you had some numpties pay up to 900 for a 3070, £1k for a 3080 and near 2k for a 3090 but that isn't anything to do with nvidia, same way it's nothing to do with amd with the numpties that paid up to 800 for a 6800, £1k for a 6800xt and £1500 for a 6900xt.

I'm excited for FSR for numerous reasons, 3 main ones:

- will hopefully be in any games where dlss isn't present
- amd might up the ray tracing effects in their sponsored games now that they can somewhat handle it + if consoles get, means they can push on the ray tracing front too
- overall graphical quality will be pushed more now that some perf. can be given back via both fsr or dlss
- further improve the longevity of all gpus

Also, yes this is somewhat like gsync vs freesync all over again but there is a BIG difference, gsync module cost monitor manufacturers money, dlss doesn't cost anything and it is integrated into game engines now where it is a case of simply enabling a plugin, ticking a box or 2, job done.

It is currently in 47 games as per a list compiled on June 1st 2021 with another 16 confirmed. So fairish but not great support considering it has been out for 2 years is it? There is also the very VERY large disadvantage that it only supports RTX GPUs which limits the reach and indeed the incentive for developers to implement it.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/confirmed-ray-tracing-and-dlss-games-2021

So if FSR can be used to compliment DLSS for those with older, or non RTX GPUs as well as consoles we can all benefit. Yet we have people complaining that it sucks without even seeing it in actual action first. It's almost like the RTX snobs hate the idea that they have one less "exclusive feature".

Fair, I just seen nvidia article where they stated something like 130 games with "rtx" so assumed they all had dlss.

Wouldn't really count the first year tbh given dlss 1 was a pos and very hard to implement where as since version 2, the uptake has been far greater and is much easier now (at least for games where the engines which have it added)

Soldato
People know this is likely to make DLSS go the same way as PhysX, Games Works, G-Sync.

Blame Nvidia for always, every time looking for an angle to lock you into their hardware, thank #### for AMD, for peeing on Nvidia's campfire at every turn.

They already do, Free Sync.
Yes, but the irony is that more competition is better for all users irrespective of brand. It will probably push Nvidia to try to make DLSS even better, if they can't do it and FSR becomes the dominant solution then it will be because it deserves to be.

Back
Top Bottom