• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti to be "available" on June 3rd, RTX 3070Ti on June 10th

Associate
Can I nip over? I don't have a 3080 Ti but I do make a good cup of tea.
OT but me and mate got very bored at work a few years back and made a biscuit safety spreadsheet that ranked the biscuits in order of how long they could be dunked in tea before they broke apart and IIRC those Choc Hob Nobs were right at the top somehere. That was a few months worth of excuses to eat all manor of biscuits.

Last edited:
Associate
Limiting who can buy, based on their post count/access to Member's Market is daft.

Put them on the website, 1 per household/payment method, and use some sort of two-step verification.

Or, alternatively, just take orders via chat/telephone.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Limiting who can buy, based on their post count/access to Member's Market is daft.

Put them on the website, 1 per household/payment method, and use some sort of two-step verification.

Based on the traffic data that we have from the 3080Ti launch, if we put 100 cards online 96 will be bought by bots...you think that's acceptable?

If we were to take orders over the phone, considering that we have ten phone staff, we'd bring the phone system to its knees and generate even more complaints from customers left on hold for ages, potentially to then be told that we've sold out? Sorry we're not opening our staff up to that abuse again.

We've thought through pretty much any suggestion that you can come up with and we don't reject them off hand.

Associate

Isn't that what etailers are already doing? And still the GPUs end up on eBay for 3x MSRP.

Associate
I would love a 3070ti but I'm guessing it'll be nigh on impossible at this rate. The fe cards still seem to end up with people buying multiples given how many end up on ebay.

Associate
I would love a 3070ti but I'm guessing it'll be nigh on impossible at this rate. The fe cards still seem to end up with people buying multiples given how many end up on ebay.
I honestly don't think many people are getting multiples, it's just that a lot of people just see new GPU launches as dollar signs so buy one and flip it for more money.

Associate
Just a shame we won't see a large wave of cards to force prices to come down. Guess we probably need mining to become a waste of time for the majority of people.

Associate
Just a shame we won't see a large wave of cards to force prices to come down. Guess we probably need mining to become a waste of time for the majority of people.
Mining is a only a part of what's causing the shortage sadly so it's going to take a long while for GPUs to just be readily available again to everyone as and when.

Associate
The bit I don't get is the bots being the justification for using MM. I can almost get behind using MM to prevent individual scalpers (despite it meaning I have zero chance of getting one), that makes sense, as the options to combat it are limited.

But there are actual technological means out there to stop the bot traffic to websites. If that was the crux of the problem, surely that is the answer?

Associate
The bit I don't get is the bots being the justification for using MM. I can almost get behind using MM to prevent individual scalpers (despite it meaning I have zero chance of getting one), that makes sense, as the options to combat it are limited.

But there are actual technological means out there to stop the bot traffic to websites. If that was the crux of the problem, surely that is the answer?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ if it was that simple it wouldn't be an issue right now I assume.

Permabanned
Indeed, common forum etiquette is to use the search before posting questions... but that just rewards the people that don't follow the rules ;)

A less conventional idea, if OC can limit sales to just those people with linked forum accounts, then post all the usernames of the buyers on a forum thread here. Everyone that buys one has to then post a pic of the card in their PC within a week, then again a month later. Anyone that fails will then face vigilante justice from the rest of the forum. Or maybe I'm taking it too far... :D

Without notable manpower (personpower if we're being PC?) at the OCuk end, then there just isn't a foolproof system. Even the FE cards and the checks (which I believe are manual) that they are supposed to have are flawed, I've seen a few people bragging that they managed to get a 3080 and a 3090 on the last drop :(
I read his post, oh well.

Associate
Would it be possible to set up a secondary 'privilege' like MM but just for GPU purchase code access at say 100 posts? That would seem fairly simple to implement on the forum surely???

Associate
Would it be possible to set up a secondary 'privilege' like MM but just for GPU purchase code access at say 100 posts? That would seem fairly simple to implement on the forum surely???
Even if you did have access to MM the chances of snagging a code are slim, you gotta remember plenty of people are in a position to have a browser open near them all day. And lowering the post count access just increases those numbers and decreases your odds even further.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

They looked into this but concluded it didn't work properly.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
like cloudflare and Captcha? Yeah we tried those, the current wave of bots act like end users, there's almost no way to weed them out.
They sit idle until a part that they are watching shows in stock then they add it to the basket and checkout as usual. Expect, because there are potentially hundreds of bots watching the live stock level feed and can process multiple orders to multiple addresses before end users even notice it's in stock, they can clear us out in minutes.

Back
Top Bottom