• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti to be "available" on June 3rd, RTX 3070Ti on June 10th

Soldato
I thought the MM deal code way just seemed to work well, other than the whining new member/gamer/mines/scalpers ;)

Probably a lot less hassle for the staff at OcUK also, which is a huge benefit. All these complicated personal data gathering methods and manual checks for scalped cards will just eat up significant time and make it a right pain.

It's clear than many people would do anything to make a quick buck!

Associate
I thought the MM deal code way just seemed to work well, other than the whining new member/gamer/mines/scalpers ;)

Probably a lot less hassle for the staff at OcUK also, which is a huge benefit. All these complicated personal data gathering methods and manual checks for scalped cards will just eat up significant time and make it a right pain.

It's clear than many people would do anything to make a quick buck!
Well I've been a member since 2016, I don't have the required post count so does that make me a whining new member?

Actually, I'm not even going to bite as that won't achieve anything. For the record, yes you are right, alienating people who have been members for years is clearly the right way to go.

Associate
Well I've been a member since 2016, I don't have the required post count so does that make me a whining new member?

Actually, I'm not even going to bite as that won't achieve anything. For the record, yes you are right.

That's my point exactly. I have orders and invoices and orders going back feasibly longer than some of the forum members have been alive. But because until this week I used the forum occasionally purely for reference and never actually felt the need to post, that makes me new/less worthy.

*Desperately trying not to get triggered and failing*

Associate
I mean, this is the very definition of First World Problems, so I'm not going to get too put out. That said, it would be nice to have the option despite only 14 years of lurking!

Associate
Exactly this, I've only ever posted here when I've had a problem with something so I have a low post count for the amount of years I've been a member. I'm not one of those people who live on forums so should I have any less chance of getting a GPU? Maybe, who's to say.

Associate
Maybe the mods already have a list of names of members in the back of their minds who have always stood out as people who have helped others and not caused any problems for the sake of it, maybe GPUs should be offered to those people first but it's an ethical and PR nightmare whichever way they go. You literally cannot please everyone.

Associate
You can't please everyone exactly, I think a combination of loyal forum member + has actually spent money with OCUK is the only real way to do it, but the logistics and man power of confirming that is still difficult I imagine

Associate
That's my point exactly. I have orders and invoices and orders going back feasibly longer than some of the forum members have been alive. But because until this week I used the forum occasionally purely for reference and never actually felt the need to post, that makes me new/less worthy.

Indeed, common forum etiquette is to use the search before posting questions... but that just rewards the people that don't follow the rules ;)

A less conventional idea, if OC can limit sales to just those people with linked forum accounts, then post all the usernames of the buyers on a forum thread here. Everyone that buys one has to then post a pic of the card in their PC within a week, then again a month later. Anyone that fails will then face vigilante justice from the rest of the forum. Or maybe I'm taking it too far... :D

Without notable manpower (personpower if we're being PC?) at the OCuk end, then there just isn't a foolproof system. Even the FE cards and the checks (which I believe are manual) that they are supposed to have are flawed, I've seen a few people bragging that they managed to get a 3080 and a 3090 on the last drop :(

Soldato
This is true but you'd be amazed at how many do not read the small print that states you can enter for free and even less people actually go through with it because apparently the simple act of posting something physically is enough to put a lot of people off. I started entering those competitions to win cars etc via post after reading their terms on how to do it but you'll never guess what, none of them ever responded to say that my entries had been acknowledged, I was doing several at a time regularly just to see what happened and never had a single reply, even though they stayed that you'd get confirmation. I even messaged them all via email about it and guess what, no replies.
Yeh your deffo right, even all these itv competitions where you can win like a car and £100k and holiday home etc, all for a £2 txt, or a free entry if you can be bothered to write in, I've never done it :)

Associate
You can't please everyone exactly, I think a combination of loyal forum member + has actually spent money with OCUK is the only real way to do it, but the logistics and man power of confirming that is still difficult I imagine
Yep, they'd have to figure a formula out for taking these things into account and then apply that formula to all forum members interested in purchasing which would involve a lot of manual admin so it's just not feasible. They may not even have records of sales beyond a certain date as it's quite common for retailers to ditch that info after a number of years.

Associate
Yeh your deffo right, even all these itv competitions where you can win like a car and £100k and holiday home etc, all for a £2 txt, or a free entry if you can be bothered to write in, I've never done it :)
And in my experience even when you do write in for free your letter simply goes in the shredder.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yes.

The codes were to show appreciation and help out members of the COMMUNITY - if you don't post or contribute, you can't argue that you are a member of that community.

Associate
No it doesn't. I've won a few things I've entered for free and they are audited anyhow.
Well that's why I said "in my experience" because I sent about 20+ letters to several competitions (the same 3 competitions actually, I was entering all 3 weekly for a while) following their instructions perfectly yet never once received confirmation of my entries which according to their terms and conditions I should have done. And again my emails about it were simply ignored. An auditor would have absolutely no idea if a large percentage of letters simply went right to the bin, they even make you address the letters in a specific way so they'd know it was a free entry before even opening it.

A mate of mines missus constantly enters comps and wins, their latest win was a fully fitted home office install worth over 3k and they've won all sort of other things but my point was, having to write in manually puts off a lot of people, people like bit scalpers or chancers hoping to make a quick buck.

Anyway that's way off topic but was my genuine experience.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes.

The codes were to show appreciation and help out members of the COMMUNITY - if you don't post or contribute, you can't argue that you are a member of that community.
Somewhat flawed though, those with more PC knowledge to give will have more posts than those seeking that knowledge, so you are inadvertently excluding people based on their knowledge of PCs and not necessarily their willingness to help others. As far these forums are concerned I know enough about PCs to get me by (which is why I only post when I'm in trouble that I can't fix) but if I see people asking for help rather than give my probably half right solution I leave it for the more knowledgeable people to answer because if I answer all I'm doing is wasting peoples time, that doesn't mean I'm not willing to help others though, it just means I've taken a logical approach to the situation and not spammed my opinions on the matter to the person asking for help. The word Community does not simply apply to those with more knowledge.

D4N

D4N

Associate
I’ve bought stuff from OCUK for a lot longer than I’ve used the forum, and have been to the shop to collect bits before.
I reckon a free raffle for each card in stock for the chance to buy. 1 ticket per person. There’s no favouritism in any direction then. If you wanted a particular card, enter the raffle for that card.

Associate
I’ve bought stuff from OCUK for a lot longer than I’ve used the forum, and have been to the shop to collect bits before.
I reckon a free raffle for each card in stock for the chance to buy. 1 ticket per person. There’s no favouritism in any direction then. If you wanted a particular card, enter the raffle for that card.
My thoughts too, to some degree. As soon as you start looking for metrics to measure people on you are heading down a favouritism route whether you mean to or not.

Back
Top Bottom